Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bturner425
    • Aug 2010

Power and lighting for shed

I have a 16' x 20' shed that we are using as a farm store. I would like to put a track lighting system with about 10 lights and couple 110V outlets in it for charging up the IPad and low wattage items like that. I am looking at some commercial systems like Coleman, etc. that have a solar panel, charge controller and inverter. I was planning to charge a battery (batteries). I am looking for advice as to what size system I need. I am assuming it depends on what I am trying to power and it may come down to the inverter size that I need. I am also wondering how many batteries I will need. Also, can I use the deep cycle marine batteries like I can get at Tractor Supply?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Brian.....
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

First advice forget Coleman, they make junk. Second if you can get commercial power to the shed is the best and cheapest solution.

If money is no object, then go solar, but you are nowhere near ready to buy anything as you have not determined your daily loads, provided location, time of year use or any shade issues. It gets real expensive real fast. About $3K for each Kwh you want. For example if those track lights total wattage = say 200 wattts and you sunt them 5 hours is 1 Kwh/day or $3K right now and $1200 every few years to replace the batteries. All that for 10-cents of electricity per day. So be careful what you ask for.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...