• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by nmikmik
    Explain please for the laymen
    Also, how does the $ per Wt is calculated? It seems they divide the total $ for the project by the total Wt output, that would make sense if I wouldn't be getting the rebate, no? What I should really care about is the bottom line, not the initial cost, right?
    Is there any chance they are going to cut or reduce the incentives any time soon?
    Thanks,
    When comparing prices between vendors in a forum like this, the convention is to use prices before any rebates. This is because the rebates which people may receive will be different in different parts of the country, at different times. Even the federal 30% rebate is subject to conditions by which not everyone may qualify (although most residential systems will). Looking at just the installer quote is a better basis for comparison, even though some regional differences may still persist.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• nmikmik
      • May 2014

Originally posted by sensij
      When comparing prices between vendors in a forum like this, the convention is to use prices before any rebates. This is because the rebates which people may receive will be different in different parts of the country, at different times. Even the federal 30% rebate is subject to conditions by which not everyone may qualify (although most residential systems will). Looking at just the installer quote is a better basis for comparison, even though some regional differences may still persist.
      Cool,
      thanks,
      what about these statements?

Originally posted by sensij
      Quote Originally Posted by silversaver View Post

Looks like your TOU isn't as good as SCE's.....
      Not yet anyway - under review - film at 11. Bulletins when they break.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Cool,
        thanks,
        what about these statements?
        I believe Silver was referring to SDG & E T.O.U . EV rate not being as low as SCE's. My comment was meant in the context that rates for most all users are changing in CA at this time, more so that usual because of AB 327 mandated rate reform and most all rates will likely be a bit mercurial for the near term. Meant as a reminder.

Comment

• nmikmik
          • May 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          I believe Silver was referring to SDG & E T.O.U . EV rate not being as low as SCE's. My comment was meant in the context that rates for most all users are changing in CA at this time, more so that usual because of AB 327 mandated rate reform and most all rates will likely be a bit mercurial for the near term. Meant as a reminder.
          Got it,
          thanks for clarifying it,

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Explain please for the laymen
            Also, how does the $ per Wt is calculated? It seems they divide the total $ for the project by the total Wt output, that would make sense if I wouldn't be getting the rebate, no? What I should really care about is the bottom line, not the initial cost, right?
            Is there any chance they are going to cut or reduce the incentives any time soon?
            Thanks,
            1.) At this time the Fed. tax credit extends to systems installed before 12/31/2016 - pretty much up & running.

2.) future legislation is unknown at this time.

3.) Example: system cost paid to vendor : $25,000. System size = 5,000 nameplate (D.C.) Watts. Cost/Watt = $25,000/5,000 Watts = $5.00/Watt.

Starting with total costs puts all on the same footing and helps avoid pricing confusion when others are offering (usually) informed opinions. Knowledgeable folks are giving you free advice, yours to take/leave as you wish. Helping them out seems a considerate thing to do in my book.

Comment

• prhamilton
              Solar Fanatic
              • Mar 2014

I found that the minute I started talking to vendors about cost/watt they knew I was informed. The average consumer doesn't talk about getting $3.50/watt. The vendors talk and price that way internally. If you get a system quote just ask them what that works out on a cost per watt basis before incentives. By asking that question, you are telling them in a nice way that you know how to comparison shop.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by prhamilton
                I found that the minute I started talking to vendors about cost/watt they knew I was informed. The average consumer doesn't talk about getting $3.50/watt. The vendors talk and price that way internally. If you get a system quote just ask them what that works out on a cost per watt basis before incentives. By asking that question, you are telling them in a nice way that you know how to comparison shop.
                Or, after getting the price, if in their presence, quickly (or not so quickly) divide the total cost by the size, look at the calculated result, wait a long minute, close one eye, raise one eyebrow, then look the vendor dead nuts in the eye and say something similar to the following " Why so much ? That's more than I know others charge. You'll need to do better. ". In all fairness, maybe there's a reason for the higher price in your situation, but usually not.
                In any case, I'd not divulge my price goal to the vendor too soon, or if at all, only late in the negotiation. If you say $3.50/Watt, for example, too soon, the vendor may well say $3.49 because that's lower than $3.50. Without price floor knowledge, the vendor may well say, for example $3.40/Watt.
                Same thing with sharing other vendor's quotes. They all pretty much know where they need to be anyway. One way to look at the bidding process is for the customer to accurately know where they all think they need to be rather than where they want you to think they need to be, and then do just a little bit better (lower) on price without squeezing them so hard that product quality, contract performance or service suffers.

Comment

Working...