Leaf Battery Modules 25-cents/wh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
    Not that I believe in conspiracies but I still wonder about why no one has found a cure for the common cold. There are billions to be made from "over the counter" medications. Those profits would all go away with a cure...hmmm.
    Money. It is expensive to develop a new drug - over a billion these days. Most researchers develop drugs to treat diseases with more significant mortality and morbidity. Few people die from the common cold. Gilead has developed a "cure" for hepatitis C, but it is $1,000 a dose, with 30-60 day dosing regimen.

Comment

Maybe Tesla Batteries will be that breakthrough.
      Not sure Tesla really has anything up its sleeve. You read some reports it is a Graphene battery, or Lithium Air-Metal. All I know for sure it is a Panasonic design and a lithium XXXX fill in the blank. The move is not made to produce a new lithium battery type, but to greatly lower Tesla cost on batteries which is the most expensive peice of the car.

The Roadster battery at first was impressive until you took a close look at it and discovered a Nightmare with some 10,000 failure points including liquid cooled. I suspect they are going to use some form of a Pouch or Prismatic large for cells to stack them like a Leaf in nice brick like fashion and do away with parallel configurations. What I am skeptical about is the 500 mile claim. If they could possible achieve 200 wh/mile would require a 125 Kwh battery, but reality is closer to 300 wh/mile. Todays cost for a 125 Kwh Lithiun depending on chemistry would cost $31 to $150K weighing from 1400 to 2750 lbs
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        Not sure Tesla really has anything up its sleeve. You read some reports it is a Graphene battery, or Lithium Air-Metal. All I know for sure it is a Panasonic design and a lithium XXXX fill in the blank. The move is not made to produce a new lithium battery type, but to greatly lower Tesla cost on batteries which is the most expensive peice of the car.

The Roadster battery at first was impressive until you took a close look at it and discovered a Nightmare with some 10,000 failure points including liquid cooled. I suspect they are going to use some form of a Pouch or Prismatic large for cells to stack them like a Leaf in nice brick like fashion and do away with parallel configurations. What I am skeptical about is the 500 mile claim. If they could possible achieve 200 wh/mile would require a 125 Kwh battery, but reality is closer to 300 wh/mile. Todays cost for a 125 Kwh Lithiun depending on chemistry would cost $31 to $150K weighing from 1400 to 2750 lbs
        I guess the key to the better battery is to find a material(s) with a high energy density yet is as cheap as sand. Still if you can make a lot of batteries faster that reduces cost and opens the market to more sales.

That was the idea to the lower production cost of Thin Film solar cells as to Mono Silicone cells. Unfortunately it is cheaper to make using the thin film technique but they are lower in efficiency and have a shorter life. I have not seen a huge surge toward thin film and away from mono. Maybe the thin film price has not come down far enough yet.

Comment

I guess the key to the better battery is to find a material(s) with a high energy density yet is as cheap as sand. Still if you can make a lot of batteries faster that reduces cost and opens the market to more sales.
          Tesla has said they will not "Guard any Patent" technology they come up with. Based on that and volume the plant will have I guess Tesla/Panasonic will be selling and making other OEM batteries anyone can access. But the question is how to at least make a 100 Kwh pack affordable without being overly large or heavy? I don't know.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
          X