is my battery good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my battery good?

I found an old 12v battery sealed lead acid battery out in the shed, 5aH think it was used for a electric wheel chair or something like that, but my dmm reads 12.8 volts on it, yet when i hook it up to various things using my inverter it dies pretty quickly, in less than 10 minutes easily. I have a cheap little walmart charger that I have been charging it with (forgot to mention that yes, I filled the cells with water before charging) is this batteer scrap or is my cheap walmart charger not the right thing for the job?

Its done, and sulfated.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

dang it, thats what I was afraid of, so note to self....even if a battery reads the 12 volts its not necessarily a good battery. thank you

Comment

Originally posted by avp12304 View Post
        dang it, thats what I was afraid of, so note to self....even if a battery reads the 12 volts its not necessarily a good battery. thank you
        Another good rule of thumb is that most if not all "used" and "forgotten" batteries are now just dead weight. Only keeping them properly charged will a battery still have life after a few years.

Comment

Working...
        X