Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hozer
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
    Not if there were much less expensive sources of power. Sure you can run a 500 watt window shaker off solar, but you had better have a good reason to justify the expense of paying 10 times more for the electricity for the rest of your life. Used in this manner more like 20 times more.

Utility electricity is so cheap you don't have to suffer only running an hour and can run it a lot longer cheaper than you can suffer on solar. It is really easy math, all you got to do is do the math.

Last question to ask is how much extra fuel burn will it take to carry 1100 pounds of batteries and panels? His batteries on solar can give him a possible 3.5 Kwh per day which his panels may or may not replace with 5.2 Kwh. Not likely panel wattage is capable of that much. If driving every day, vehicle alternator at 120 amps can replace 3.5 Kwh in 3 hours engine run time or about 2 hours on a 2 KA genny.

Or just pay 50-cent a day to the mean ole power company.

Now here is the funny part. The OP has 1830 watts @ 24 volt battery using a 60 amp controller when he needs a minimum of 75 amps limiting his panel wattage to 1440.
    I want to say thanks to you guys for your input. I have some serious thinking to do. Just one last question. If I ran a 500 Watt A/C on 110 volts and the cost of 0.15 cents per KWH how much would it cost me for running it 8 hours per day to run that A/C unit???

Thanks guy

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by hozer
      I want to say thanks to you guys for your input. I have some serious thinking to do. Just one last question. If I ran a 500 Watt A/C on 110 volts and the cost of 0.15 cents per KWH how much would it cost me for running it 8 hours per day to run that A/C unit???

Thanks guy
      I assume you mean from the grid.

.5 Kw x 8 hours x $0.15 = 60 cents vs $6 to $12 for solar all paid up front in cash. That is the choice you have.

What would you do if this happened too you. You need to fill up with gasoline. On one corner a station sell s gas of $3/gal, and th eone next door sells for $30/gal. Which station do you buy from? The choice is that easy.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

So what your saying it not worth the money to have a solar setup just to run a 500 Watt A/C unit correct?
        Unless your electric rates are much higher than Hawaii (~ $0.55/kWh) using Utility power or even a generator will cost less than running the same load from a solar battery system.

Comment

• hozer
          • Sep 2014

.5 Kw x 8 hours x $0.15 = 60 cents vs $6 to $12 for solar all paid up front in cash. That is the choice you have.

What would you do if this happened too you. You need to fill up with gasoline. On one corner a station sell s gas of $3/gal, and th eone next door sells for $30/gal. Which station do you buy from? The choice is that easy.
          Kinda sucks huh? Maybe running a 500 Watt A/C unit on the grid would be cheaper than going solar lol. Maybe it would be better to just get a Solar generator just in case the power goes out. Other than that I would see no reason to run solar on my RV according to you guys.

Thanks for the heads up guys. Sniff.....Sniff

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Kinda sucks huh? Maybe running a 500 Watt A/C unit on the grid would be cheaper than going solar lol. Maybe it would be better to just get a Solar generator just in case the power goes out. Other than that I would see no reason to run solar on my RV according to you guys.

Thanks for the heads up guys. Sniff.....Sniff
            There are a number of people that use solar while living in an RV. Most of them are doing this when they go dry camping where there aren't any utility hookups.

Again it is a little costly as compared to running their gen sets or alternator to charge the batteries but it is their choice and saving money is not high on their list. They just want to be quiet and still have power. It can be fun and enjoyable. But will really not save them money.

Comment

• hozer
              • Sep 2014

Thanks for the heads up

Comment

Working...