WE Energies to Squash Distributed Renewables with their latest rate case.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanS26
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kwilcox
    hmmm... so this would be the battery system component for a SE Conext TX system running in AC coupled mode. I like it because according to SE's app note (located here),when the Conext is running AC coupled, all intelligent charge controlling for the storage system is offline. Power is just flowing back through the inverter. With a built in charge controller, this could be an ideal setup.

Still, would like to see more real stats on this. According to Sunking, typical LI technology is only good for about 2000 DOD cycles. That means it burns out in 5 years if charged/discharged daily.
    Their website says 10 year product life.

Comment

• kwilcox
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2014

I saw that. I also saw a lot of mumbo-jumbo about their controller:

The JuiceBox controller is the brains of the system. It constantly monitors the state of the battery, the PV output and building load from the inverter and determines the mode of operation based on customer bill rates or other priorities. There is a balance between rates of charge and discharge, operating temperature, depth of discharge and number of cycles that must be achieved to ensure long life.

Does that jargon = double the life I wonder?
      4KW system featuring Suniva OPT265/Enphase M215

Comment

• Ian S
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by SunEagle
        I see. It may give you the ability to use less Utility power during peak times. Or if the Utility pays you much less than what they charge you per kWh why not use your battery instead of using the Utility.

Still unless the cost is low I will follow the rule that the $/kWh generated from a battery system is still many times more than from the Utility.
        I suspect it would only be cost effective where the POCO has very high rates especially at peak times that extend into evening hours and has a combination of minimal payment for over production and a restrictive implementation of net metering (e.g. monthly trueup, non-combinable buckets for peak and off-peak, etc.) Just looking at my own usage and a WAG, it might at best save $2/day for 6 months and maybe $0.50/day for the rest of the year. Let's be generous and say $500/year. If the battery lifetime is ten years, unless it costs quite a bit less than $5K, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Comment

• Ian S
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2011

After some additional thought, I think I overestimated the benefits and it would be unlikely to be more than $300 a year.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Ian S
            After some additional thought, I think I overestimated the benefits and it would be unlikely to be more than $300 a year.
            Exactly what I am trying to say. Sure it can save people with high electrical tariffs but what you save will be a few dollars to what I believe you will have to spend to install that system and maintain it.

Of course I am estimating a high cost for it but when they do not show any $ amount and provide a lot of double talk I feel the price will be a shocker to a home owner.

Comment

• DanS26
              Solar Fanatic
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Ian S
              I suspect it would only be cost effective where the POCO has very high rates especially at peak times that extend into evening hours and has a combination of minimal payment for over production and a restrictive implementation of net metering (e.g. monthly trueup, non-combinable buckets for peak and off-peak, etc.) Just looking at my own usage and a WAG, it might at best save $2/day for 6 months and maybe $0.50/day for the rest of the year. Let's be generous and say $500/year. If the battery lifetime is ten years, unless it costs quite a bit less than $5K, I'm not sure it would be worth it.
              It would be worth it just to show the utilities that partial defection is possible. I'd sign up just to break even. Some utilities might embrace it since it could help to shave peak demand.

Somehow, with work like this, it appears we are inching ever so slowly to the solar promised land.

Comment

• kwilcox
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by DanS26
                It would be worth it just to show the utilities that partial defection is possible...
                Exactly. I have two branch circuits in mind already... Also, purely as a mental exercise (since winter is approaching), I'm going to calculate the size/height ratio of a reservoir system that can store my 13kWh maximum daily excess (yes... a personal PHS system). I'm expecting that it'll probably be hilarious...

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

It would be worth it just to show the utilities that partial defection is possible. I'd sign up just to break even. Some utilities might embrace it since it could help to shave peak demand.

Somehow, with work like this, it appears we are inching ever so slowly to the solar promised land.
                  Right now most solar PV systems already help shave peak demand for the Utility. And they don't like that because they lose money. It all comes down to how a Utility determines what is profitable and what is not.

Here in Florida building new generating plants is more profitable to the Utility than purchasing some of the existing private smaller plants that can't compete with the big guys. Going solar is also an uphill battle for the homeowner even with a grid tie system.

If you look at Hawaii where the going rate is about $0.55/kWh there has been a proliferation of people installing PV systems. Now the Utility has pretty much stopped new connections from happening because they say that their grid can't handle all those local generating systems which can cause voltage imbalances (which is only partly true). So some have gone off grid only to find out it is costing them about $1.0/kWh to generate their own power. No savings there and no pressure on the Utility because they really aren't losing that much income from the off gridders.

I wish you were right that the Utilities would embrace more people installing solar. But some Utilities don't want to give up the monopoly of power generation so will fight to get back what they lost because they were forced to meet a State goal of a % of all generation that has to come from Renewable.

Comment

• DanS26
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2011

Exactly. I have two branch circuits in mind already... Also, purely as a mental exercise (since winter is approaching), I'm going to calculate the size/height ratio of a reservoir system that can store my 13kWh maximum daily excess (yes... a personal PHS system). I'm expecting that it'll probably be hilarious...
                    kwilcox, I have another idea for you to use up that daily excess. Have you heard of Electric Thermal Storage?

Take a look at this product.....

Here is how I am using the product. I set up the off peak and on peak timers to only charge the unit between 10am and 2pm (ie when the sun shines), then I release the stored energy into the house at night or early morning. Yes there are transfer losses but it is still better than selling my excess energy to POCO at $.035 kWh.

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

kwilcox, I have another idea for you to use up that daily excess. Have you heard of Electric Thermal Storage?

Take a look at this product.....

Here is how I am using the product. I set up the off peak and on peak timers to only charge the unit between 10am and 2pm (ie when the sun shines), then I release the stored energy into the house at night or early morning. Yes there are transfer losses but it is still better than selling my excess energy to POCO at $.035 kWh.
                      Rather than pay a high price for this type of thing just build your own or have one built. This is just a pile of dense bricks in a box with a heater coil.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by russ
                        Rather than pay a high price for this type of thing just build your own or have one built. This is just a pile of dense bricks in a box with a heater coil.
                        +1 on the DIY thermal storage. More flexible for shape, size, placement and almost certainly cost. Still. heating anything with resistance electricity is like cutting butter with a chain saw.

Comment

• DanS26
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by russ
                          I'm handy, but not that handy.....and besides I think I would have a hard time getting it UL approved just in case I want to keep my homeowners insurance.

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

I'm handy, but not that handy.....and besides I think I would have a hard time getting it UL approved just in case I want to keep my homeowners insurance.
                            You might try buying a UL listed heater coil - easy. You wouldn't have to be handy for this one - you just don't realize or want to admit how simple it is.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• kwilcox
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2014

I just got a letter from WE Energies offering me a 10 year grandfather period on my rate plan because they "appreciate that you made the decision to install your system based on the rates that we offered at the time" and "we fully appreciate the financial impact of your investment in solar generation technology". I also got the phone number for their Senior VP - Customer Services with a request to call back with any questions. I'm going to counter with a 20 year transferable...

They must have noticed my efforts on their facebook page to add clarity/counterpoint to their anti-PV campaign....

Check it out at dubdubdub.facebook.com/WeEnergies (I don't think I should be linking there so just replace "dub" with "w")
                              Last edited by inetdog; 10-02-2014, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

I just got a letter from WE Energies offering me a 10 year grandfather period on my rate plan because they "appreciate that you made the decision to install your system based on the rates that we offered at the time" and "we fully appreciate the financial impact of your investment in solar generation technology". I also got the phone number for their Senior VP - Customer Services with a request to call back with any questions. I'm going to counter with a 20 year transferable...

They must have noticed my efforts on their facebook page to add clarity/counterpoint to their anti-PV campaign....

Check it out at dubdubdub.facebook.com/WeEnergies (I don't think I should be linking there so just replace "dub" with "w")
                                So the squeaky wheel gets some grease.

Looks like some of your activity got their attention and maybe a good resolution for you.

Comment

Working...