Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can regular PWM regulator charge AGM batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! I think I'm going to have spend a little money and get MorningStar proStar PS-30M controller...
    It has specific setting for GEL, Sealed and Flooded. AGM is Sealed right? Or do I need CC that specifically has AGM setting?

Comment

Originally posted by Bratan View Post
      Thanks! I think I'm going to have spend a little money and get MorningStar proStar PS-30M controller...
      It has specific setting for GEL, Sealed and Flooded. AGM is Sealed right? Or do I need CC that specifically has AGM setting?
      Sealed (also called Valve Regulated Lead Acid or VRLA) can mean either AGM or GEL. But since there is a separate setting for GEL, chances are good that Sealed=AGM on that CC.
      But the simple way to find out is to look at the voltages that correspond to each setting!
      You should always do that anyway, as some batteries in each of the three types recommend other than the standard settings on one model CC and so, for example, some FLAs might work better with the switch set to AGM or vice-versa.
      Last edited by inetdog; 09-24-2014, 03:38 PM.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
        Sealed (also called Valve Regulated Lead Acid or VRLA) can mean either AGM or GEL. But since there is a separate setting for GEL, chances are good that Sealed=AGM on that CC.
        But the simple way to find out is to look at the voltages that correspond to each setting!
        You should always do that anyway, as some batteries in each of the three types recommend other than the standard settings on one model CC and so, for example, some FLAs might work better with the switch set to AGM or vice-versa.
        Thanks! Yeah always RTFM, I should've done it before asking stupid questions Anyway it does mean AGM and voltage are what needed (float at 13.7V) ! Found great deal on eBay ($135 without package) and ordered it. Thank you everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
          That is an excellent recommendation by choosing the correct voltage, rather than blindly relying on "canned" or in some case outer silk-screen settings.

For instance, on Morningstar Sunsaver pwm controllers, they have a jumper setting for "sealed" and one for "flooded". In the manual, sealed is 14.1v, which is appropriate for gel. However, "flooded" is 14.4v, and is applicable to both flooded AND agm's if they see cyclic service - but as always refer to your battery docs for the correct voltages. The point here is to choose the jumper based on voltage, and not just a canned silkscreen.

Also, some newbies may be using a "sealed" battery that is merely a flooded-battery with non-removable caps. These are known as "maintenance free" or "MF" batteries, but are still flooded batteries that need to see 14.4-14.5v. BUT, if you were to use some controllers canned or silk-screened setting for sealed, that voltage is actually 14.1v, which is too low for the "sealed MF" flooded batteries, and you will quickly sulfate it.

So yes, stick to the correct voltage settings / jumpers, and not blindly follow a canned setup unless you verify the voltage in the manual first. If the manual does not include this information, then PASS on that controller.

Comment

And beware the Automatic Equalize Cycle. There is often a switch to disable that. VRLA + EQ = $$$$ down the drain.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
              And beware the Automatic Equalize Cycle. There is often a switch to disable that. VRLA + EQ = $$$$ down the drain.
              We call that a BMMS (Battery MisManagement System.)
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
              X