Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

shopping for inverter/charger, any integrated, smart packages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shopping for inverter/charger, any integrated, smart packages?

Hello all,
    I need a nice inverter/charger setup for my eight CS6P-235PX solar panels (Canadian solar 235 watt panels) and deep cycle batteries. I would like something that can integrate with the grid to sell back when I get sun tracking and a few additional pannels and have enough excess electricity to cover the montly fees. I am dead set on an on/off grid setup as we have very frequent power outages here, and hurricane season is upon us!

I was previously under the impression that outback VFX3524 inverter had a built in MPPT charging, do I need a seperate charge controller with the outback inverters?

The best system for me would be one that would leave me able to connect back to the grid easily when I move without completely re-wiring. The only thing I don't like about the outback inverters is they want you to get a transformer to set up to 220 volts, whereas if I get a scneider electric inverter I can have legs of power just like from the electric company, and hook right up to my soon to be installed Square D type QO load center.

I am open to suggestions and will be taking warranty and cost effectiveness into account to make a purchasing decision. Anything with integrated battery charing would be a plus, if available. Let me know what works in the 1k to 2k price point!

Thanks!
    Mike W.
    V = I R, P=V I 1HP=746 watts 1 Watt= 3.4 BTU

Inverters with 10 year warranty

I recently used GreenTrader24 and they have a 10 year warranty on their inverters which is brilliant.
    I hope this helps.

http://greentrader24.co.uk/blog/omni...ears-warranty/

Comment

What size generator are you going to use?
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        What size generator are you going to use?
        Was considering a 1000 watt honda. Also considering some models around 5000 watts. haven't crunched all the numbers yet but a 5000 watt generator could easily power our double convection wall oven. Then again we only use both sections of the oven once or twice a year so getting a generator for that may be overkill. So many choices! I think in the long run it may be best to pony up and buy inverters capable of powering everything and getting batteries to last a while and using a generator only when needed to charge those. Thoughts?
        V = I R, P=V I 1HP=746 watts 1 Watt= 3.4 BTU

Comment

Originally posted by mlw19mlw91 View Post
          Was considering a 1000 watt honda.
          Not realistic IMHO. You need a pad mount generator operating on LPG or diesel. Pad mount emergency generators are made for medium duty, larger in size, and do not use gasoline for obvious reasons. Your generator needs to be large enough to charge the batteries at a minimum C/10 charge current and any connected load operating. 1 Kw is not going to cut it using gasoline on a light duty camping genny.

But here is something you should know or at least think about. Any Off-Grid system requires a generator because you have no utility. Any hybrid system also requires a generator for extended outages of more than a few short hours to charge the batteries and run gizmos while genny is running charging batteries. With me so far and understand?

If you have commercial power, you do not need a very expensive hybrid inverter or batteries you have to replace every few years sitting there collecting dust. All you need is the generator and if you want power during outages. Smart money is a grid tied system with generator back up. A whole lot less expensive to install and operate, and much more reliable and you can run everything in your house like nothing ever happened. Go with a hybrid and all you get is a few lights, receptacles, and refrigerator. Gets cold in winters Blizzards, and hot as hell in summer from t-storms, hurricanes, and tornadoes without Air Conditioning. Forget about electric cooking and domestic hot water, use the grill and take cold showers until power comes back on.

One more thought for you. If you use a Hybrid Inverter, you have to rewire your home. Did you know that? You and your electrician go around the house and you tell him to take this receptacle, that receptacle, and thes ligts and remove them from your current breaker box, and re-run them to the Hybrid Inverter where the built-in transfer switch is located. Did you think about that and include it in your budget?
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            One more thought for you. If you use a Hybrid Inverter, you have to rewire your home. Did you know that? You and your electrician go around the house and you tell him to take this receptacle, that receptacle, and thes ligts and remove them from your current breaker box, and re-run them to the Hybrid Inverter where the built-in transfer switch is located. Did you think about that and include it in your budget?
            If you are very lucky, you can at least do it all at the level of entire branch circuits, which means only adding wiring from your existing panel to the new inverter supported subpanel and from there to the inverter and back instead of pulling new home runs back from individual receptacles and lighting outlets.
            But it is certainly not a DIY job and will typically require a building permit and planning work by a licensed electrician or electrical contractor.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
            X