Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between SunPower SPR-E20-327 and X20-327?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by granders51 View Post
    My system is 12.5kw approx. 38 Sunpower x20-327's....As for tilt and azimuth...No idea...

I am not BS'ing you..My peak sunny day was 74KWH....in May...during the summer I was mid 60's consistently.

Look at this screen capture for April 2nd...It rained that day and the system made 19.319KWH...I was shocked.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5008[/ATTACH]

TM
    FWIW, I believe you. I'd only suggest keeping in mind that some cloudy days are "sunnier" than others. Actually, there is a lot more day/day variability than most folks realize on all days, but particularly cloudy/hazy days for a boatload of reasons. Depending on system orientation/time of year, etc, a system's output on a VERY cloudy day ( low "clearness index" ~ = .15-.20) may be no more than approx. 10% of that if the same day was clear and cloudless (high "clearness index" ~ = .70 -.73).

Comment

Whatever he was reporting has little to to with Sunpower panels though. They don't "wake up" early and they don't produce great on an overcast day.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
        Whatever he was reporting has little to to with Sunpower panels though. They don't "wake up" early and they don't produce great on an overcast day.
        Agreed. They probably produce about the same or MAYBE a bit more ( or a bit less for that matter) than some other panels under low incidence angle or general low light - "cloudy" conditions.

Comment

[QUOTE=granders511;127315]
          Originally posted by russ View Post
          From PV Watts for your location - PV Watts calls for 1525 kWh in October -

If Sunpower does what you claim it would be in the company advertising and not just from a salesman's mouth.

Russ..are insinuating I am a solar salesman?..I am not...and my system is producing more than what this table is showing. .Some months..10% or more...and no the cost of electricity here is wrong as well..it's up to $.39 per kw in tier 4...I would love to see this report run for some different panels and see what they are estimated to produce..
          Do it then - what you are posting is bull - you just don't know enough about it to realize it.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Thanks folks! I got my question answered. I decided to go with the e20-327.
            Thanks
            John

Comment

FYI: Comparison to SolarWorld 275 Protect system

I came across this thread while researching for a system for my sister. I am still in my first year of production on my own system but here is the link to my SolarEdge Kiosk. I figured it would be useful to anyone trying to roughly compare with Sunpower Systems because I cross-shopped against the same around the same time this thread was created.

https://monitoring.solaredge.com/sol...2-0a93fe15eeb4

The system is based on the SolarWorld SW275 Protect series panels: 34 qty X 0.275 KW/panel = 9.18 kW DC System Capacity. It has been performing very well. Location is Raleigh area, NC. I don't know the exact angles but I do know that the back of the house actually faces 15 degrees East of South (a little less than ideal from what the installer informed me) and it also has partial shade issues from tall oak-trees in the back during the earlier hours. I did have some network issues in first 2 months of operation because of which the system shows somewhat abnormal numbers, but all subsequent months should be accurate.

Cost to install before all incentives was 30K flat, ie $3.208 per wH. Investing any more would not have made a difference in the NC state credit unless I installed it and commissioned as a separate system, hence the cut-off at that number. There is also a 10KW DC limit per system from the utility.

Ym5u30g.png
              Last edited by kickass; 05-15-2015, 02:42 PM. Reason: Adding more stat screenshots

Comment

So I have two quotes from different Solar companies. I requested that both quote me for Sunpower panels.
                One quoted me to use the x21-345 panels with a Sunnyboy Inverter.
                The other quoted me to use the E20-327 panels with the Sunpower micro inverters on each panel.
                Both quoted for 20 panels.
                The first is about $1000 higher than the second and states that's because their setup is superior to E20-327 panels.
                My question is, can anyone please tell me which is the better deal / system?

Comment

Hi Simonk and welcome to Solar Panel Talk, the size in watts per panel isnt as important as the total system size in watts so, 21x345watt panels = 7245 watts or a 7.2kW system the other (got to say there are a few inconsistencies in your post) so lets say 20 x 327 watt panels = 6540 watts so a 6.5kW system. So if it is $1,000 more for the larger system its probably a matter of what sized system would suit you better the smaller or larger one. You need to have a look on your electricity bill and see how many kilowatt hours (kWh ) you use on average per day that will give you some idea. I think you would get a lot of benefit going through some of the sticky topics in the solar panels for your home section read up many people here have been on the same journey as you, lots to read and lots to learn here

Comment

Thanks for the info Solar Pete. Before I delve into the solar panel well, could you give me any feedback on the two different panels from a quality or reliability point of view?
                    Also could you briefly point out the inconsistencies that you mentioned just for my clarity?

Comment

• solar pete
                      solar pete commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi Simon, thats what youb get for posting without coffee, i just re-read your post and realised "x21-345 " was a brand and not 21 x 345watt, sorry my bad. Dont get to hung up on panels, i'll get a couple of links for you to read, hang on

Howdy Simonk, the thing is those panels will perform about the same, it doesnt matter. What matters then is whats the best deal for you, do you need the larger or smaller system, to me I would be looking at a different brand as those are expensive and other cheaper brands will do the same job for less money.

Read up a bit more you could try this thread there are many that talk about this stuff
                    https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...r-panels/page2

Comment

Haha no problem I know how that is! Just happy for the feedback.
                      The reason I chose the Sunpower is the 25 year full coverage warranty. It's the only warranty that covers the removal, shipping and reinstallation of any faulty or low performing panels.

Comment

• solar pete
                        solar pete commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've been in the biz for many years and we have installed well over 100,000 panels and have had to replace, well up until recently only about 6 then we got a dodgy batch and replaced a bunch. Moral of the story is you very rarely have problems with teir 1 solar panels, I would be way more concerned about what inverter you will use. I dont concern myself at all with all the warranty hype, if a panel goes bad you will know about it sooner rather than later.

Great that's well worth knowing thank you!
                      So do you have any opinions on the panels with micro inverters installed in each as the E20-327 has, Is that a safer option?
                      Or could you recommend a quality Inverter please?

Comment

Well on this opinions vary greatly. I for one am a traditional string inverter man, we know they have been around for a long time and you should get at least 10 to 15 years maybe more from a top quality inverter like a SMA. Micro inverters have a growing supporter base and in my opinion are useful if shade is an issue with your install or if individual panel monitoring is important to you.

Safety doesn't come into it ( for me) assuming both styles of system are designed and installed correctly to code. I think you need to keep reading and get a few more quotes, the more you learn the better off you will be, good luck

Comment

Thank you, you have been very helpful!
                          Just to clarify, when I said,"a safer option" I meant safer in the less chance of system failure if one Inverter goes out.
                          Thank you Solar Pete, I will definitely read up some more on the subject.

Comment

Working...
                          X