Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Freeze Protection Valve

Hey there,

We are set up with a solar water heating system here in New Zealand. Water is coming out on to the roof from what I believe is the freeze-protection valve. Unfortunately the local plumber has failed to fix any problems and has only given large bills. That is besides the point now, I am trying to fix it. I have done some research on this topic of which I know little about and have found out that the freeze protection valve is the most likely problem because the pump has been coming on from 1am to 5am in the morning while experiencing the cold temperatures and the occasional frost. The water has shot out on to the roof and even ice has formed. This is a very mild part of New Zealand, we do not get snow and freezes are occasional during our winter months. The plumber has tried to fix the problem but replaced the air valve at the top when we said the valve on the bottom was the one leaking. I understand it is supposed to leak when it approaches freezing but now it goes off for longer than before the plumber came.
    photo 2.JPG Here is a photo of where I think the valve is. It is attached to the bottom right side of the collectors, below the hot water outlet and opposite of the cold water inlet. I need help understanding what is going on there in the photo and what to do about my problem. Do I need to replace the valve or can I re calibrate it? Please I could use any help figuring out this problem to avoid dealing with this plumber anymore.

Cheers, and thank you all for your time!

Replace the valve and check the rest of the system and components for blockages/air pockets to make sure fluid is actually flowing. Also, check the controller for correct settings and freeze turn on temp. Depending on amb. temp., system characteristics and collector loss characteristics, the pump ought not to be running constantly, but intermittently.

I'd also find a new service tech.

Comment

Working...
    X