Help - Why Batteries bubble at Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Why Batteries bubble at Night

Any idea why my batteries are bubbling at night? Been happening for 1 week, usually from 10 p_m to 1 am . Batteries bubble for 2 to 5 seconds, every 5 to 10 minutes. Ot is a quick release of bubbles, like blowing air through a straw into a glad of water. In the morning there is some battery fluid on top of a one of the two batteries, maybe 1 teaspoon worth. All readings are normal and system seems to be functioning well otherwise. Batteries are about 6 years old. Any ideas? Is this dangerous? Thank you.

Originally posted by JohnZion View Post
    Any idea why my batteries are bubbling at night? Been happening for 1 week, usually from 10 p_m to 1 am . Batteries bubble for 2 to 5 seconds, every 5 to 10 minutes. Ot is a quick release of bubbles, like blowing air through a straw into a glad of water. In the morning there is some battery fluid on top of a one of the two batteries, maybe 1 teaspoon worth. All readings are normal and system seems to be functioning well otherwise. Batteries are about 6 years old. Any ideas? Is this dangerous? Thank you.
    Is there a charger connected to the batteries that runs at night off grid power?
    Do you have several batteries or strings of batteries in parallel? If so one string may have a shorted cell and is being charged at a high (for it) voltage by the other batteries.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      Do you have several batteries or strings of batteries in parallel?
      Took the words right out of my mouth. Week batteries sucking the life right out of the parallel stronger strings. That is why you do not ever parallel batteries unless necessary. With solor or home use it is never necessary.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
      X