Silicone batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silicone batteries

Anyone know anything about these for solar purposes. Seems like a great option, but perhaps I am missing something.

They make 2volt batts, and the time to full charge they claim 3 hours, but can't seem to see at what current. Also life cycle seems very good allowing for smaller system as can cycle to a deeper dod, 50% or so ansd a still get 2500-3000 cycles.

www.Bolt-battery.com

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Jemplayer View Post
    They make 2volt batts, and the time to full charge they claim 3 hours, but can't seem to see at what current.
    They are telling you exactly how many amps, you just don't catch it or understand. 3 hours is the answer. Now what current is that?

C/3 = amps
    MSEE, PE

Comment

The marketing turns me off from several different vendors.

Go green! No more pesky acid-mist to deal with. Charts made from sources dealing with flywheels and supercapacitors. Erm, ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        They are telling you exactly how many amps, you just don't catch it or understand. 3 hours is the answer. Now what current is that?

C/3 = amps
        That's great thanks, however for those of us who are not engineers i.e myself, could you just give the answer.

Comment

That's great thanks, however for those of us who are not engineers i.e myself, could you just give the answer.
          He just did and you did not recognize it:
          Amps = C/3 where C is the battery capacity in amp-hours at the 20 hour rate.
          To illustrate, suppose you have a 120AH battery. (The voltage does not matter.)
          To charge it in 3 hours (if you could keep a constant current all the way up to full charge) you would have to put in 120AH/3H = 40A.
          That also neglects the need to put in more AH than was taken out, since the inefficiency is highest in the region close to 100% SOC.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

I did C/3 where C = the battery AH rating. 5th grade math.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
              That also neglects the need to put in more AH than was taken out, since the inefficiency is highest in the region close to 100% SOC.
              Yes - for sealed vrla batteries, a very rough compensation is about 1.78, so in this case 3hours X 1.78 = 5.34 hours to finish absorb. Roughly a 60/40 split between bulk and absorb.

Comment

Working...
              X