X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Darkon
    • Jun 2015

I've had mixed results with powerline network adapters, but that was probably due to having an older house that likely already had noisy lines. However, a friend of mine is using a powerline network adapter for his solar system and says it is working great.

Comment

• lkstaack
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by makarowski
      I'll chime in and say my zigbee has been less than reliable on my solaredge system... Its within 25 feet ( no easy way to get a lan cable), and I have had to reboot the gateway 3 times to get it reconnected (poor auto retry mechanism?).

I am thinking of putting in a powerline solution and see if that is any better...

My eagle gateway (also zigbee) is on the other side of the house (over 50 feet and a few walls inbetween) and is not having the problems of the solaredge setup.

YMMV

BMak
      My Zigbee is an unplugged paperweight. Mine started acting up three days after it was installed. It would refuse to receive, but quickly came back online when I did a hard reboot. Then, it stopped receiving completely. After calling my installer who opened a trouble ticket, Solar Edge performed a remote reset and everything was fine. For a while. Then, it stopped again.

My solar installer said they have continuing problems with Zigbee and advised me to run a hard wire to it; they were through with it. Instead, I contacted Solar Edge and they said they would RMA a new one to my solar installer. When I called a week later, they said that all units were on back order and didn't know when they would get more. So I bit the bullet and plumbed in a hard wire to the inverter. A day later, my solar installer called to say they got the new Zigbee in.

Not a big fan of Zigbee or my installer. At least I never have to worry about receiving reports now.
      LG280/SE6000/[url]http://tinyurl.com/pav2bn8[/url]

Comment

• thejq
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2014

Interestingly enough, just today, for the first time ever, I lost all connections to the inverter. I called home, both internet and inverter are working. So maybe my Zigbee connection is not as reliable as I thought it was .
        16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• Stix
          • Jun 2015

Looks good.

Comment

• thejq
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by thejq
            Interestingly enough, just today, for the first time ever, I lost all connections to the inverter. I called home, both internet and inverter are working. So maybe my Zigbee connection is not as reliable as I thought it was .
            It's working again after re-pairing the gateway and the client. A simple power cycle didn't bring it back to life. Hopefully it's just an isolated incidence, fingers crossed.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

It's working again after re-pairing the gateway and the client. A simple power cycle didn't bring it back to life. Hopefully it's just an isolated incidence, fingers crossed.
              Do you have it on a UPS. Even a very short power dip can make wireless equipment fault requiring a hard reboot.

Comment

• genesmasher
                • Jun 2015

Thanks for the tip. I will keep a tap on it. I just got the net metering application processed, and the city inspection also passed yesterday. So it's at least going. I paid just south of $3.5/W (before incentive) for the whole thing including Solaredge Zigbee communication gateway and client. The installer (a general electrical contractor) is quite reputable in SD, and has been in business for 25 yrs. So I'm quite happy with how things worked out.
                Would you mind sharing your installer via PM, please. Thanks!

Comment

• thejq
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2014

Originally posted by genesmasher
                  Would you mind sharing your installer via PM, please. Thanks!
                  Done. Check your PM. GL.

Comment

Working...