How to connect Solar Street Light with Charge Controller, Battery and Solar Panel

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbm2014
    • Sep 2014

How to connect Solar Street Light with Charge Controller, Battery and Solar Panel

I am newbie here.

I am doing solar installation of any sort for the first time at home.

I am installing solar street light at home that lights at night.

I have following connection,
    Solar Panel (35wp) --> Charge Controller (12v 10amp)
    Charge controller (12v 10amp)--> battery (12v 35amp)

I have 2 connection/terminals on solar LED Light 1) battery 2) solar panel

Question: not sure how to connect solar LED light (9W) to battery and solar Panel?

Any help here is much appreciated

Thanks
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Well if you have a 9 watt LED to light up I hope it is not turned on more than 5 or 6 hours each night because a 35 watt panel with a PWM controller cannot generate more than that.

If you are thinking more like 12 hours each night you are looking at a 75 to 100 watt panel with a 12 volt 60 AH battery.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by mbm2014
      I am newbie here.

I am doing solar installation of any sort for the first time at home.

I am installing solar street light at home that lights at night.

I have following connection,
      Solar Panel (35wp) --> Charge Controller (12v 10amp)
      Charge controller (12v 10amp)--> battery (12v 35amp)

I have 2 connection/terminals on solar LED Light 1) battery 2) solar panel

Question: not sure how to connect solar LED light (9W) to battery and solar Panel?

Any help here is much appreciated

Thanks
      The two wires from the solar panel connects to the charge controller terminals. The charge controller connects to the battery. Depending on the type of charge controller you have you may be able to connect the LED light to the "load" terminals. Some cheap charge controllers may not have "load" terminals or do not have the capability to power high wattage loads. That 9 watt light may be ok.

Also as Sunking mentioned you will not be able to use that 9watt LED all night running off that 35Ah battery because your 35watt panel is a little small to recharge the battery back in one day. You will eventually drain your battery too low. Better to go with a larger panel at about 70 watts minimum.

Comment

Working...