No announcement yet.

PV wires on roof surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, thanks to everyone. There's some good things on the web about wire management of PV installations, but the code is a little scant. There are some developed lines of interpretation that require all PV wires be carefully bundled, which is certainly what I like to see. In any case, it's true that they have to be secured/supported at certain intervals, but single-conductors fall in a weird category, since of course they are generally not allowed at all, so they aren't documented as well as all the cable types, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCodeInspector View Post
      Again, thanks to everyone. There's some good things on the web about wire management of PV installations, but the code is a little scant. There are some developed lines of interpretation that require all PV wires be carefully bundled, which is certainly what I like to see. In any case, it's true that they have to be secured/supported at certain intervals, but single-conductors fall in a weird category, since of course they are generally not allowed at all, so they aren't documented as well as all the cable types, for example.
      I saw this ad yesterday showing a clip to keep PV wires secured.

http://ewweb.com/product-galleries/c...YM_MID=1484817

Comment

I tried to add a link for a new type of cable clip that retains the PV wire being run from and under the panels.

Since the link was not approved I will just state that you can check out the article at Electrical Wholesaling. The clips are called "Ty-Rap High Performance Cable Edge Clips" made by T&B which are sized for the #10 awg PV cables and come in a few different orientations.

Comment

What made you think that the link was not "approved" ? I see it fine and am able to click it in your first post.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
            What made you think that the link was not "approved" ? I see it fine and am able to click it in your first post.
            When I first posted on Tuesday with the link to the EW website showing the clip I got a pop up that stated my post would be reviewed and if approved by the moderators then it would be shown.

Since I do not see that post I thought it had been rejected for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
              When I first posted on Tuesday with the link to the EW website showing the clip I got a pop up that stated my post would be reviewed and if approved by the moderators then it would be shown.

Since I do not see that post I thought it had been rejected for some reason.
              OK.
              It takes some time for a moderator to notice the status of the post and approve it. (We can see it in the normal thread flow even before it is accepted, it just has a status icon that marks it as needing moderation action. This filtering on content and directing to moderation, even for regular users, is a new feature of the software that we are experimenting with.
              Time will tell if we will keep it active, especially since it only seems to be catching about half of the spam posts.

Comment

OK.
                It takes some time for a moderator to notice the status of the post and approve it. (We can see it in the normal thread flow even before it is accepted, it just has a status icon that marks it as needing moderation action. This filtering on content and directing to moderation, even for regular users, is a new feature of the software that we are experimenting with.
                Time will tell if we will keep it active, especially since it only seems to be catching about half of the spam posts.
                I guess I was targeted as a spammer.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                  I guess I was targeted as a spammer.
                  If it walks like a duck....

Comment

Pictures? You want pictures?

1941 Capitol Ave. NE 8.28.14c_800x600.jpg1941 Capitol Ave. NE 8.28.14e_450x600.jpg

These actually show a combination of USE-2 wires on the roof, AND THHN/wire nuts outside of a box (THHN isn't even rated for a wet location). Anyway, that one's a no-brainer, it's the loose wires I'm determining the proper course for.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4772[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4773[/ATTACH]

These actually show a combination of USE-2 wires on the roof, AND THHN/wire nuts outside of a box (THHN isn't even rated for a wet location). Anyway, that one's a no-brainer, it's the loose wires I'm determining the proper course for.
                      Most THHN you find is actually dual-rated to THWN or THWN-2, not that that makes it any better outside of a raceway or exposed to sunlight.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4772[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4773[/ATTACH]

Maybe this will help. With 35 years of experience here is what I have learned to live by. The two golden rules for Inspectors and Wives.

1. Inspector and Wife are always right!
                        2. When Inspector or Wife are in error, refer to rule #1

If you buck those two rules you are screwed.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                          Maybe this will help. With 35 years of experience here is what I have learned to live by. The two golden rules for Inspectors and Wives.

Or at least w/wife, probably not.

Comment

Which I guess GreenCodeInspector (I assume Green as in inexperienced rather than Green as in environmentally obsessed) will get to apply that from the inspector's side. I am sure that if somebody asks him for a Code section citation, he can just refer them to you.

Comment

When I was a sales rep., I never won an argument with a customer. Never started one. There are other ways to get what needs to be accomplished. Later, as an engineer, I remembered some of what I learned as a peddler when dealing with inspectors/Q.C. folks. They may not be right, but they're always going to inspect. There are other ways.

Comment

Most THHN you find is actually dual-rated to THWN or THWN-2, not that that makes it any better outside of a raceway or exposed to sunlight.
                                Those wires in the first picture look like they have wire nuts and tape. That has to be a code violation. No way are splices allowed outside a box in a wet environment like the roof.

Comment

Working...
                                X