X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeSolar
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
    Which takes me back to my comment in post #6 about the system being backwards with Battery as primary and Utility as secondary or backup. This system can be costly due to the way it is expected to work.
    Part of my argument to her was to flip around her desires. It will be a more standard install now, thankfully. Just the batteries to be sourced. I don't want too much capacity but 48V is a pain with only 1kw.

Comment

• paulcheung
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
      Which takes me back to my comment in post #6 about the system being backwards with Battery as primary and Utility as secondary or backup. This system can be costly due to the way it is expected to work.
      It seem strange but a lot of the solar system in Jamaica is setup that way. We don't have net metering and the grid is not very reliable, So who ever have money go completer off grid and people like me go half way. I try to utilize the solar first and use the battery to 30%DOD and then turn to the grid for the rest. after I put in my last 8 panels and additional bank of battery, and some life style change I manage to use the solar through the day and night except for rainy days and the instant water heater in the morning.

Comment

• paulcheung
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by MikeSolar
        Part of my argument to her was to flip around her desires. It will be a more standard install now, thankfully. Just the batteries to be sourced. I don't want too much capacity but 48V is a pain with only 1kw.
        You in Canada, Just buy 8 of those Rolls S-290 6volt 220amps battery, or any those golf cart 6 volt 225 amps batteries.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by paulcheung
          You in Canada, Just buy 8 of those Rolls S-290 6volt 220amps battery, or any those golf cart 6 volt 225 amps batteries.
          Both of those batteries are pretty good and have a total capacity (at least on paper) of over 10000 watt hours configured as a 48volt system.

Comment

• ZoNiE
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2014

You said you would be periodically maintaining the system. Does that mean you will water the batteries, or is that her job? That is a big factor in success here.

They do have these battery watering kits too. Some of my RV friends swear by them. Anyone use them? I just set my calendar to remind me to water the batteries every month.
            House-Sun Earth Hot Water.
            RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

Working...