48 volt battery charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    FWIW you can get 2 golf cart batteries which are 6 volt 225 AH for $300. That is more than twice the capacity of 100 AH
    Sounds like I need to change my thinking to 6 volt golf cart batteries X 2. Thank you everybody for all your input, this forum has really helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazproperties View Post
      Sounds like I need to change my thinking to 6 volt golf cart batteries X 2. Thank you everybody for all your input, this forum has really helped.
      or you could just get one 8A4D 200Ah 12V AGM which can handle higher rates of discharge and charging for $380 instead of two 6V batteries.

or an 8A8D 245Ah 12V for $460 :
      http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-245...d-battery.html
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
        or you could just get one 8A4D 200Ah 12V AGM which can handle higher rates of discharge and charging for $380 instead of two 6V batteries.

or an 8A8D 245Ah 12V for $460 :
        http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-245...d-battery.html
        And those batteries weight over 150 lbs where a 6v 232 Ah battery weighs about 60 lb max. Better get a small fork lift to move those 12volt ones around.

Comment

solar panel connections

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
          And those batteries weight over 150 lbs where a 6v 232 Ah battery weighs about 60 lb max. Better get a small fork lift to move those 12volt ones around.
          With my CC set at 12 volt and the 2 6 volt batteries wire in series for 12 volts would the connections be + on one battery and - on the 2 battery?

Comment

With my CC set at 12 volt and the 2 6 volt batteries wire in series for 12 volts would the connections be + on one battery and - on the 2 battery?
            Yes. You would first connect the - of battery 1 to the + of battery 2. That gets you 12volts between the + of battery 1 and the - of battery 2.

Then connect your charge controller to the + of 1 and - of 2. You would connect your inverter to the same terminals.

Comment

panel voltage output

With my 4 panel system, wired in parallel and each panel rated to produces 100 watts and Voc 21.6v and Vop 18v, is the output still going to be Voc 21.6v and Vop 18v and only increasing the watts to 400?

Comment

Power and current add in parallel. Parallel is less efficiency and cost more

Power and voltage add in series. Series is more efficient and cost less.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Power and current add in parallel. Parallel is less efficiency and cost more
                  Power and voltage add in series. Series is more efficient and cost less.
                  The other half, is the charge controller. under 400w, it's cheaper to use the PWM style (70% efficient). Over 400W, MPPT is the suggested (95%) And if you go series, you will need MPPT to downconvert the 60V from the 4 PV's to 15v for battery charging.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                    The other half, is the charge controller. under 400w, it's cheaper to use the PWM style (70% efficient). Over 400W, MPPT is the suggested (95%) And if you go series, you will need MPPT to downconvert the 60V from the 4 PV's to 15v for battery charging.
                    I think you meant 200 watts right? I can build a 200 watt MPPT system for less than an equivalent 300 watt PWM system.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

watts

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                      I think you meant 200 watts right? I can build a 200 watt MPPT system for less than an equivalent 300 watt PWM system.
                      Wouldn't 4 x 100 watt panels wired parellel not yield 400 watts? And increase to Amps?

Comment

Wouldn't 4 x 100 watt panels wired parellel not yield 400 watts? And increase to Amps?
                        Yes but PWM is only 67%. Your 4 battery panels in parallel at best will generate 22 amps. With MPPT I can generate the same current with 280 to 290 watts. Not only that I could use a single much less expensive grid tied panel.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                        X