Solar Panel with an Electric Bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Panel with an Electric Bike

I've been trying to do a lot of research to find a solution for what I'm wanting to do, and I still have a bunch of questions.

I'm living in a city in Asia where I cannot use a US drivers license and even if I get a local one it can sometimes take years to get a license plate. However, no drivers license or license plate is required for various types of electric bikes and mopeds.

I've been using an electric bike to get around, but I've been toying with the idea of finding a way to put a solar panel on my bike to increase my range.

These are the specs that I know.
    The battery is 48V 10Ah
    The input for the battery charger is 160~240V 50/60Hz
    The output of the charger for the battery is 54.6V 2A.

At full speed the battery discharges in about an hour.

I figure that if I'm going to have a mounted solar panel that one of the biggest concerns is a risk of the battery overcharging while I leave the bike parked outside somewhere.

I was thinking that the simplest solution would be to switch the power from the solar panels to AC and using the charger to charge the battery since it will auto cut off when the battery is charged.

I don't know how to calculate the conversion from the solar panel DC to the AC that I want to send to the charger,
    I'm also not 100% certain what all the components I will need are,
    and I'm not sure what the best way to orient the panel(s) will be for this type of usage.

Thanks for any help you can lend.

Originally posted by phil123 View Post
    I've been trying to do a lot of research to find a solution for what I'm wanting to do, and I still have a bunch of questions.

I'm living in a city in Asia where I cannot use a US drivers license and even if I get a local one it can sometimes take years to get a license plate. However, no drivers license or license plate is required for various types of electric bikes and mopeds.

I've been using an electric bike to get around, but I've been toying with the idea of finding a way to put a solar panel on my bike to increase my range.

These are the specs that I know.
    The battery is 48V 10Ah
    The input for the battery charger is 160~240V 50/60Hz
    The output of the charger for the battery is 54.6V 2A.

At full speed the battery discharges in about an hour.

I figure that if I'm going to have a mounted solar panel that one of the biggest concerns is a risk of the battery overcharging while I leave the bike parked outside somewhere.

I was thinking that the simplest solution would be to switch the power from the solar panels to AC and using the charger to charge the battery since it will auto cut off when the battery is charged.

I don't know how to calculate the conversion from the solar panel DC to the AC that I want to send to the charger,
    I'm also not 100% certain what all the components I will need are,
    and I'm not sure what the best way to orient the panel(s) will be for this type of usage.

Thanks for any help you can lend.
    Hello phil123 and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

1. You need a charge controller, not an inverter coupled to a charger. Any off grid inverter will not run directly off the panels in the first place.
    2. It is not practical to mount a panel on a moped which is large enough to significantly extend the range, unless you plan on parking it in the sun for a few hours in the middle of each trip.
    3. There are also problems with wind resistance and theft to hit the high points. A larger battery would be a better way to extend your range for the same amount of money.
    4. You need to aim the panel as close to perpendicular to the sun as possible. If you are going to be turning a lot, the best you can do is probably horizontal, and above your head, since any shade even on part of the panel will cut its output to nothing in terms of battery charging.
    5. A 100A panel will be pretty large. Look up some specifications for comparison. If you deploy it while riding, the wind resistance may cut more range than the panel adds by charging.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Phil it would be more practical and useful to put a parachute on the bike and wind sail.

What little power a panel would offer cannot over-come the added weight and wind resistance the panel brings with it. All it would mean is less distance and work you harder the exact opposite of what you desire. There is a reason you cannot find anything about it, it doesn't work. The Law of Physics prevents it from happening.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Unfortunately charging batteries via a solar panel does not work well for bikes or even golf carts. Just too little space to mount the panels and too little "direct sunlight" to charge the batteries.

Maybe it is time to introduce "vehicle" charging stations in the city. The manufacturers of EV cars here in the States have been rolling them out to help improve sales. Maybe the electric bike manufacturers over there could be stimulated into doing the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
          Unfortunately charging batteries via a solar panel does not work well for bikes or even golf carts. Just too little space to mount the panels and too little "direct sunlight" to charge the batteries.

Maybe it is time to introduce "vehicle" charging stations in the city. The manufacturers of EV cars here in the States have been rolling them out to help improve sales. Maybe the electric bike manufacturers over there could be stimulated into doing the same thing.
          It works and many people are doing it. The range and speed using solar is farther and faster then pedaling by far. I'm putting together a 400watt solar powered bike now. I might add more cells and push 600 watts.

7000km yearly solar race with older out of shape riders. This race restricts solar panel size, width, wattage, motor wattage, top speed and the use off fairings to slow down the riders. The bike I'm putting together should hit 36-40mph on the flats.
          Last edited by Technologist; 05-23-2016, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Technologist View Post

It works and many people are doing it. The range and speed using solar is farther and faster then pedaling by far. I'm putting together a 400watt solar powered bike now. I might add more cells and push 600 watts.

7000km yearly solar race with older out of shape riders. This race restricts solar panel size, width, wattage, motor wattage, top speed and the use off fairings to slow down the riders. The bike I'm putting together should hit 36-40mph on the flats.
            Interesting technology. Although not very practical for most city or even country living people.

I will say congratulations on your research and development of a solar vehicle. Someday you or others may hit on the right combination and make a viable product for the masses.

Comment

I have built a Recumbent tadpole trike, which i later have converted to an electric drive assist with a 250 W hub motor presently powered by a 36 V 4.8 Ah LI battery. I intend to add one more battery in parallel to increase the range, and also add a solar panel on roof to charge the battery. I am not too good at solar or electricity calculations.. I have in mind using a flexible solar panel of following specs: 150W Panel, Max Power(Pmax): 150Watts ,Max Voltage(Vmax): 27V ,Max Current(Imax): 6.49A ,Open Circuit Voltage: 22.0V , Short Circuit Current: 5.9A ,Maximum System, Voltage: 600V , Number of cells in a series: 32 coupled witha MPPT charge controller MPPT Solar Electric Vehicle charging Boost Controller 24V 36V 48V 60V 72V ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sola...ddresstype=600) .I was curious to know if i am selecting the right panel and MPPT charge controller.

Could you kindly advise.

Regards Milind Tambe

Comment

Therefore, I will always ride a regular bike, too many problems with electric bikes. Although my friend always advises these electric bicycles visit the website and he says that problems never arise with them.
                Last edited by SunEagle; 11-19-2018, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Technologist View Post
                  The bike I'm putting together should hit 36-40mph on the flats.
                  And it'll hit whatever the wind velocity is when the panel becomes a sail.

PV on a bi/tri wheeled vehicle seems kind of impractical in an urban environment at the current state of technology.

Maybe it's not a good idea to give those who know as little as you too rosy hopes.

Do you have any idea how much energy is needed for the duty vs. how little a realistic estimate of bike mounted PV might actually be ?

I'll trade you. Give me some numbers as to panel size and what you think it'll provide in terms of distance/speed, and I'll give you a back of the envelope estimate of developed wind forces as f(wind vector). Hint: Add some anchorage to the vehicle design and also a way to keep the panel(s) from disappearing, probably with the bike when it's is parked and unattended.

Comment

Working...
                  X