Im New But Want to Build a Portable Solar Phone and Battery Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im New But Want to Build a Portable Solar Phone and Battery Charger

Hello, Sorry if any of my questions sound stupid, just looking to do it right on the first or second try

I need a charging solution for my cell phone and to recharge AA or AAA batteries while on long thru hikes.

My current plan includes encasing the panel/panels in plexi-glass, heat-shrinking the wires, epoxying the seams, and holes to make it as water proof as possible.
    I want to be able to mount it on top of my backpack or on the outside of the tent.

I use an Android S3 phone, and need the batteries for my headlamps and flash-light. I'm thinking if I need more than one panel to have a hinging mechanism so that it is flexible between panels, reducing the likelihood of breakage. Of course cost is a consideration as well seeing as you can buy these types of setups for 50-70 dollars.

I understand my phone needs a continuous 5v to charge, so that means I need some type of battery in the system to hold a charge above 5v.

In an ideal world I want to over build this so it will not only be durable, but also provide at a bare minimum power to keep my phone running on less sunny days.

As a final note, what concerns are there temperature-wise? I live in Canada, will I be able to use this system in the winter?

Any help and suggested specs is appreciated!

Welcome to Solar Panel Talk

You will find out that a number of people on the forum have gone through the mechanics of building there own (DIY) solar panels.

Some have tried to make them small, lightweight and durable or flexible. Unfortunately the small portable DIY projects have been a little less than successful due to not being able to get the right parts to build the panels that you can already get (although very expensive) on the open market.

Hang in there and hopefully someone will provide either the gory details or success story of their DIY build.

Comment

You will need at a minimum 20 watt panel, charge controller, Dc-Dc charge converter for each battery type, and a 12 volt AGM battery. Good luck hiking with all that. I would just carry some spare batteries in my pocket.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

If you do some searching on Whiteblaze.net which is the AT thru hikers forum, you will find that solar chargers are discussed frequently but the usual conclusion is that its not a good fit as its difficult to keep the panel orented towards the sun all day and even if you do the panel size is too small to do much charging. Most end up deciding to make fewer calls and leave the phone off or carry backup batteries

Comment

Why do you hike? When I use to do that and today when I go out is to DISCONNECT from the world a week or two at a time. When I do go out today I have two cell phones. One of them is my public number, it stays at home turned off. My private phone goes with me but remains turned off 99% of the time. I turn it on every couple of days for a few minutes to see if there are any EMERGENCY messages, and carry it with me TURNED OFF in case of a EMERGENCY 911 call or something. Two weeks and never needed a recharge. But that is ole fashion me. Heck I even still carry a camera with me.

Don't worry about being Disconnected. It is great fun and very relaxing not watching TV. Computer, video game, phone, tablet, or whatever Gizmo you have. Just unplug and go underground for a week or two. If someone dies while you are gone, I promise you they will still be dead when you get back. Don't let it ruin your vacation. Even NoBama unplugs while he is on vacation. So can you.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            Why do you hike? When I use to do that and today when I go out is to DISCONNECT from the world a week or two at a time. When I do go out today I have two cell phones. One of them is my public number, it stays at home turned off. My private phone goes with me but remains turned off 99% of the time. I turn it on every couple of days for a few minutes to see if there are any EMERGENCY messages, and carry it with me TURNED OFF in case of a EMERGENCY 911 call or something. Two weeks and never needed a recharge. But that is ole fashion me. Heck I even still carry a camera with me.

Don't worry about being Disconnected. It is great fun and very relaxing not watching TV. Computer, video game, phone, tablet, or whatever Gizmo you have. Just unplug and go underground for a week or two. If someone dies while you are gone, I promise you they will still be dead when you get back. Don't let it ruin your vacation. Even NoBama unplugs while he is on vacation. So can you.

Sure. Go unplug and enjoy says the man now living in a tropical paradise.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
              If you do some searching on Whiteblaze.net which is the AT thru hikers forum, you will find that solar chargers are discussed frequently but the usual conclusion is that its not a good fit as its difficult to keep the panel orented towards the sun all day and even if you do the panel size is too small to do much charging. Most end up deciding to make fewer calls and leave the phone off or carry backup batteries
              Leave if off; turn on just for a real emergency.

Hiking involves a lot of work. Has anyone looked at some kind of generator? For reference,
              I mounted a generator on my bicycle which put out in the area of 5 watts. Ought to be some
              way to couple into all that effort. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by Lasey View Post
                .. I need a charging solution for my cell phone and to recharge AA or AAA batteries while on long thru hikes.
                That's an easy one. Powerfilm AA foldable solar charger. Actually works, and is designed properly. Charges 2 or 4, but not odd values (1 or 3 batts). Do not go for the USB/AA combo model, as that usb is limited by today's standards, and I found build quality on that one a little less than what I expected from Powerfilm. maybe I just got a dud with the usb combo. Stick to the AA-only model.

Anker 8-watt or 14-watt folding solar panel. Good build. Most importantly, the "IQ" function of the usb output really works when using usb cables that have different internal wiring - the iq figures out the difference between a data cable and a charge-only cable for instance, and provides the most current. In the old days, I had to hack these cables together to get a panel to work properly with a wide variety of devices. Anker took all the fun out of making my own custom cables with their IQ. Stashed the 8 watter in the car, and have the 14 watter at work.

Of course the Anker panels will charge a phone directly, but you may want to think about charging an external battery, which won't have to be laying around in the heat near the panel, and then later charge from that battery. Anker battery recommended as well.

I've been through a lot of camping / hiking solar junk, and so far Powerfilm and Anker have made the grade with me.

Comment

Lasey,

Another option would be to possibly buy an extended capacity battery, or maybe a large capacity battery to recharge your phone with? For the lights, I guess additional batteries?

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                  Sure. Go unplug and enjoy says the man now living in a tropical paradise.
                  Hey! I resemble that remark! I live in a tropical paradise. It takes a lot of work, sometimes, maybe - for someone else. Okay, maybe not. You got me on that one.
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
                    That's an easy one. Powerfilm AA foldable solar charger. Actually works, and is designed properly. Charges 2 or 4, but not odd values (1 or 3 batts). Do not go for the USB/AA combo model, as that usb is limited by today's standards, and I found build quality on that one a little less than what I expected from Powerfilm. maybe I just got a dud with the usb combo. Stick to the AA-only model.

Anker 8-watt or 14-watt folding solar panel. Good build. Most importantly, the "IQ" function of the usb output really works when using usb cables that have different internal wiring - the iq figures out the difference between a data cable and a charge-only cable for instance, and provides the most current. In the old days, I had to hack these cables together to get a panel to work properly with a wide variety of devices. Anker took all the fun out of making my own custom cables with their IQ. Stashed the 8 watter in the car, and have the 14 watter at work.

Of course the Anker panels will charge a phone directly, but you may want to think about charging an external battery, which won't have to be laying around in the heat near the panel, and then later charge from that battery. Anker battery recommended as well.

I've been through a lot of camping / hiking solar junk, and so far Powerfilm and Anker have made the grade with me.

Here ya go Ill do all the work for you

AitchTTP://www.aliexpressDOTcom/item/Universal-Camouflage-8W-Solar-power-panel-Foldable-USB-charger-power-suppier-for-Mobile-phone-laptop-Hiking/2021127651.html

Boom. Thats what you need. Seriously.

8W 1.5A panels feeding a 1500mah battery with a 5v 1amp micro usb out.

Plug your phone in. If the sun is shining it should be able to just able keep up with your phone sucking down the juice. Good part is it has a 1500mah battery which if full will just about charge your phone. And at night you can bring it in the tent and charge your phone.

What id also personally recommend is getting an external battery like mentioned above.

AitchTTP://www.aliexpressDOTcom/item/2014-New-Portable-Power-bank-30000mah-external-battery-For-iphone-Samsung-phones-charger-Ultrathin-Free-shipping/1991485236.html

About $20 will get you a battery with 30k mah (enough to charge your phone 10+ times) and it has a 2AMP out AND a 1AMP out. You can charger your phone faster and maybe bring a USB powered led light or fan for the other slot.

It would take about a week to 2 weeks for the panels to charge up the external battery but then you would have about 2 weeks of charge....

in total about 60$ will have you charging everything from your phone to lights to fans. At home leave the panels outside hooked up the battery and get a USB powered light and knock 60Wx however many hours off your electric bill.
                    I'd guess with that battery fully charged you'd find little need to bring a solar charger with you right? So unless you care about being eco friendly and not sucking down what amounts to 5wh of energy per hour to charge your phone save yourself the money and buy a battery for 15$.

or a crappy combination of both.

AitchTTP://www.aliexpressDOTcom/item/30000mAH-Solar-Charger-2-Port-External-Battery-Pack-For-Cellphone-iPhone-4-4s-5-5S-5C/1672400635.html#feedback

beware 30k mah rating on that is really like 15. its 3.7V being upped to 5.5v.

-
                    --- Mod Note: Without implying anything about your motives which remain to be established as you post more, I have disabled the HTML links so that those who want to can do a bit of work (cut, edit and paste) to see the items you described, but they look less like an endorsement of the items from this forum.
                    Last edited by inetdog; 09-29-2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kcg443 View Post
                      Here ya go Ill do all the work for you
                      For a 1st post, this appears to be an advertisement for solar toys from aliexpress, rather than anything in particular. There are a LOT of toys out there. These are among those toys. Which are fine if that is what you want. Lipo batteries with an unknown heritage are particularly suspect.

If you want to get serious and move beyond toys, then Powerfilm and Anker are proven and tested by me. While not a direct indication of authority, this isn't my first post, which means I'm not really into sales.

Comment

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
                        For a 1st post, this appears to be an advertisement for solar toys from aliexpress, rather than anything in particular. There are a LOT of toys out there. These are among those toys. Which are fine if that is what you want. Lipo batteries with an unknown heritage are particularly suspect.

If you want to get serious and move beyond toys, then Powerfilm and Anker are proven and tested by me. While not a direct indication of authority, this isn't my first post, which means I'm not really into sales.
                        I took a hard look at the post and the items, and decided, based on the less than glowing review the OP, gave to let it stay.
                        I am thinking of disabling the links (making them opaque to robots but still usable by someone who wants to to cut, edit and paste to follow them.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                          I took a hard look at the post and the items, and decided, based on the less than glowing review the OP, gave to let it stay.
                          I am thinking of disabling the links (making them opaque to robots but still usable by someone who wants to to cut, edit and paste to follow them.
                          The person who commented wasn't original poster just saying. But thanks I wont post anymore links.

Just looking at this subjectively. I know Its hard to believe but building a solar panel is simple... they are all .5v cells made mostly in china.

The original poster has a problem. Charging his 2000 Mah phone battery on 1-3 day camping trips without spending $60-70 with solar.

The Anker 8W for $45 Sounds like a good deal except when you read the specs you realize its output is 5v x 1amp. They rate the panels at 8W but they step down to only 5W, in addition their stated efficiency is 15-18%
                          IF and thats a big IF it produced the stated 8W his 2000 mah battery would be full in just 90 minutes, Hardly taking advantage of the 4-7 hours of sunlight we have each day.

The link I posted is also an 8W but notice the output. 5.5v x 1.5amp and costs $36. Their efficiency is stated as 17.6% not a 3% range which as a percentage of power production could be 10% variance!
                          With the $10 he saved he could get a 10000 mah external battery and he could charge that with his TRUE 8W solar panels and capture theoretically of course almost a full 10,000 mah per day but more likely 4-8k.

Anker 8W solar Panels Knock off 8 W panels + 10,000 mah external battery
                          Voltage: 5v < 5.5v
                          Amp: 1amp < 1.5a
                          Charge Speed: 1000 mah < 1550 mah
                          Time to Full: 120 min > 87.5 min
                          Battery storage: 2,000 Mah < 12,000 mah
                          Cost: $46 = $46
                          Days without sun: 24-36hours < 7-10 DAYS depending on use.

Id still think $10 on a 10,000 external battery is the best bang for the buck. If your going to buy a solar anything buy a real 18v+ panel and pay alot less per watt and hook it up to your house with a micro inverter.

Comment

Originally posted by kcg443 View Post
                            Im 100% American and have never been to China but they really make decent stuff....Look at Solar panels. Most of the cost is in the materials which in China have been oversupplied the last few years resulting in dropping prices. The fact that their panels are so cheap has little to do with fact that the direct labor in solar is cheap. Its more the raw materials labor transport etc is cheaper and NO US or GER or UK supplier can make up a %50-100 price gap.
                            BS - panels from China from known, established names can be OK. Products with decent quality control which is usually done by the foreign partner can be OK - that is can be and not are.

Generic stuff from small suppliers is often junk.

The price differential is usually due to the Chinese government playing games. Material costs are generally on a commodity basis - same around the world at the wholesale level. Labor being dirt cheap compared to the US and Europe is an advantage on a labor intensive item.

Anyone playing the game of buying direct from China needs to know and understand the equipment and topic well. If not you will be burnt. In most of Asia the motto is "let the buyer beware".
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

That site aliexpress.com is only a platform not a company. Companys list their products on their with their website. You can go to the website look at their factory call them. Veryify their RoHs information or CE or ISO or whatever you'd like.

And about subsidys or whatever that you attribute the cost to. Thats political BS.

Read GTMs China outlook 2013-2017 and you will see.

http://www.greentechmedia.com/resear...look-2013-2017
                              Back in 2009/10, industry roadmaps were targeting $1.00/W module costs as a medium-term goal. With best-in-class Chinese producers approaching costs of $0.50/W in 2013, yesterday’s goals are no longer relevant today. However, as noted, the majority of cost reduction over the last two years has been driven by declines in consumables prices.

Best in class producer they sited: Examples of such producers would be Jinko Solar, Renesola, Trina Solar and Yingli Green Energy. They all sell BILLIONS a year.

If you go to that link you will see 46% of the cost reduction was polysi. It was reduced by .23c/w in 3 years.... Thats GTMs study which DID NOT take into account ANY govt subsidy's. And said end of 2013 saw .50c/W for best in class.... WITHOUT subsidy's. The subsidies are just a cherry on top but NOT what makes up most of the cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X