simple wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simple wiring question

i'm just getting started. so please be kind.
    i wired thusly
    12v8.6vbatteryWiringDiagram.jpg
    i have 8 batteries rather than the 6 as pictured

i used a bus bar for the positive and negative sides.
    i wondered about the value/disadvantage of another 3rd bus replacing the 4 jumpers in the center altogether.
    tying all 8 terminals together with a several pieces of copper by bus connecting the 4 neg together, then the 4 pos then 4 bus pieces between each -+ pair.

essentially building two large 6v batteries in series from each set of #4 6v trojan batteries..
    i think it would stress the (weakest battery/one with least internal resistance) in each stage but i'm not sure.

Why on earth are you using 12 volts?
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Why on earth are you using 12 volts?
      because i have a single 12v panel.

Comment

Originally posted by rmwilliamsjr View Post
        because i have a single 12v panel.
        Then I have no idea what you are doing. At most a single 12 volt battery battery panel is 180 watts or so. That is not enough to even support one of the batteries you have if those are T-105's or equivalent. Only thing it could possible be used for is to float charge the batteries to keep them charged up while in storage. If that is the case it does not make any difference how the batteries are wired up. After a few days they will all be equalized and virtually no current or charging from the panel will occur except what is needed to over come self discharge briefly in the morning when the sun rises.

With 8 T-105's at a minimum would require a minimum 1000 watt panel system (1300 watt optimal for C/10) to generate enough current to actually cycle the batteries and would be configured for 24 or 48 volts. That is why I asked why 12 volts. Made no sense to do that.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

i'm just getting started.
          have to find stuff used and inexpensively.
          i have a 335W 12v panel that charges the 8 batteries up to 14V or so,
          it's a weekend place that we only use electric for lights, laptop, cell phone.
          so the draw is minimal, just saturday night and it charges all week long.

Comment

Originally posted by rmwilliamsjr View Post
            i'm just getting started.
            have to find stuff used and inexpensively.
            i have a 335W 12v panel that charges the 8 batteries up to 14V or so,
            it's a weekend place that we only use electric for lights, laptop, cell phone.
            so the draw is minimal, just saturday night and it charges all week long.
            Wow. You have a single panel at 335 watts and you say it is a 12v panel. That means your panel will generate about 20 amps.

What is the make and model of that panel because it is the first one I have heard of at wattage and voltage.

And as Sunking has stated even at 335 watts it is not enough to charge all those batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              With 8 T-105's at a minimum would require a minimum 1000 watt panel system (1300 watt optimal for C/10) to generate enough current to actually cycle the batteries and would be configured for 24 or 48 volts. That is why I asked why 12 volts. Made no sense to do that.
              thanks. i'll save up for several more panels. and reconfigure battery bank for 24v.

Comment

thank you very much

i got a cheap 24v charge controller on ebay. reconfigured the batteries to 24v. panel puts out between 7 and 8.5 amps max. through controller into batteries.
                i have to save up for a decent controller, they seem to run $250-325 on ebay. maybe i'll catch a good deal.
                you gave good advice above.
                \
                \
                next simple question.
                equalizing charge. specs for batteries say 15.4v. apparently something to do at 6 month intervals.
                if i don't discharge batteries, can i get them up to 30.8v with a panel that puts out 7a?

where do i go to read about float charge, battery capacity, ie solar 101 details?

#8 420ah trojans. 24v. current charge 27.0v. water has been checked. connections all wire brushed and coated with vaseline....
                one no label panel Voc=59v Ioc=6.5a
                cheap hong kong pwm controller with no user configurable volt settings.

no shore power available. only a small generator.

can i?
                reconfigure battery bank to 48v.
                get cheap 48v controller
                leave it on until battery reach 15.4 v?
                i suspect not because cheap controller will shut off at about 14.5v
                i suspect hooking up panel directly to 48v bank is stupid.
                i suspect best thing to do is get nice american made user configurable charge controller and 2 more of the same type of panels.
                but i don't have the cash.

how do i proceed without damaging my batteries while learning??

Comment

Working...
                X