X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TED-5000 2 MTU Weirdness.

I bought a TED-5000 2 MTU system. MTU1 is working fine. Here is where the weird stuff starts. Let me say I have spent 2 hours on the phone with BOB from the TED5000 support family. Really a great guy. I had to cut our session short due to the fact I had to go to work. Let me start.

MTU2 is for a 7500KW solar system. It is setup the most common way with the power coming from the inverter into the breaker panel to a breaker. MTU2 gives no readings at all. MTU1 is set for Adjusted Load and MTU2 is set for generation. if you swap the CT's from MTU1 and put them down on the solar wires. No Readings. If you take the solar CT's and put them up on the top. They work fine. BOB told me my PLC was fine. I asked him if the size of the wire matter to the CT's and he said no. I am baffled. I used a voltage pen to make sure there was voltage coming through the two solar wires and there is. Thoughts?

This is a picture before the TED Install and you can see the red and black wires coming in from the inverter and going to the breaker in the lower left hand corner.

This shows the new 20 amp breaker I added and how both MTU's are wired to it. This breaker has an outlet I added strictly for the gateway.

Lastly here is a video I made that shows the whole setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TED-5000_2_MTU_SYSTEM_HELP
    [URL="http://tinyurl.com/o7g8hzo"]PV_OUTPUT[/URL]

Are both MTU's black wire attached to the same phase? It does not appear so in the pic.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
      Are both MTU's black wire attached to the same phase? It does not appear so in the pic.

Yes they are. There are 4 tails going into that wire nut.
      1 from the breaker
      1 from the gray cable from MTU1
      1 from the gray cable from MTU2
      1 goes to the dedicated outlet for the gateway.

Comment

If you have both black wires on the same phase, then make sure the gateway is on that same phase.

I have found with solar that you need to use the red wire also even though TED says you do not need to use the red wire. Just my experience. You cannot mix and match, both red wires need to be attached or no red wires attached.

Comment

If you use the red wire then make sure you change the settings to 120/240 volt in the Systems Settings/System Layout tab.

Still not working....then make sure the CT clamps are fully closed....if not you will get the zero readings.

Comment

If you have both black wires on the same phase, then make sure the gateway is on that same phase.

I have found with solar that you need to use the red wire also even though TED says you do not need to use the red wire. Just my experience. You cannot mix and match, both red wires need to be attached or no red wires attached.
            The Gateway is on the same phase. MTU1 works fine and MTU2 will work if you swap it to where MTU1 was. I mean if you swap CT locations.

Comment

Finally if the red dots on the CT's are opposite from each other then they will cancel each other out, especially power coming from a balanced inverter.

Comment

Finally if the red dots on the CT's are opposite from each other then they will cancel each other out, especially power coming from a balanced inverter.

Comment

When the sun is out tomorrow, swap out the CT's from the MTU's instead of just swapping the CT's on the wires. Really though you should be reading about 6w on the Fronius in sleep mode.

If that doesn't work then try to swapping MTU's and remember to change their corresponding adjusted load and generation settings.

Comment

When the sun is out tomorrow, swap out the CT's from the MTU's instead of just swapping the CT's on the wires. Really though you should be reading about 6w on the Fronius in sleep mode.

If that doesn't work then try to swapping MTU's and remember to change their corresponding adjusted load and generation settings.
                    Bob from TED Tech support and I tried that already. Same result. I asked him if the gauge of the wire mattered and he said no. We went through all the HW combinations.
                    It's like there is no voltage coming through those wires but I know that is false.

Comment

The same effect is seen for both sets of CT's and both MTU's......hmmmm.....try changing setting on MTU to stand alone....maybe Gateway...does statistics page show both MTU's?

Comment

Inverter shows output...no codes?

Anyway to get your hands on a clamp-on ammeter?

Did you test voltage with a multimeter instead of a voltage sniffer?

Does putting the CT's on the solar breaker lines in any way changes the connections? Inverter times out for five minutes?

As Sherlock Holmes would say...after eliminating all the possibilities you are left with only the obvious.....the CT's are not properly clamping on the solar lines......try clamping the dryer or hot water heater.

Comment

The same effect is seen for both sets of CT's and both MTU's......hmmmm.....try changing setting on MTU to stand alone....maybe Gateway...does statistics page show both MTU's?
                          Yes it does.

Comment

Inverter shows output...no codes?

Anyway to get your hands on a clamp-on ammeter?

Did you test voltage with a multimeter instead of a voltage sniffer?

Does putting the CT's on the solar breaker lines in any way changes the connections? Inverter times out for five minutes?

As Sherlock Holmes would say...after eliminating all the possibilities you are left with only the obvious.....the CT's are not properly clamping on the solar lines......try clamping the dryer or hot water heater.
                            Inverter shows output...no codes? Inverter seems to show normal outputs on the panel see picture.

Anyway to get your hands on a clamp-on ammeter? Yes. I am going to check on Monday as it's my day off

Did you test voltage with a multimeter instead of a voltage sniffer? No. But I am planing on it.

Does putting the CT's on the solar breaker lines in any way changes the connections? Inverter times out for five minutes? No, I don't think so but I will double check this.

As Sherlock Holmes would say...after eliminating all the possibilities you are left with only the obvious.....the CT's are not properly clamping on the solar lines......try clamping the dryer or hot water heater. Will try this on Monday as well

I was hoping to get some good feedback over the weekend so I would have to things to try on Monday.

Comment

Your Fronius inverter is showing va for power produced? This does not seem correct. Fronius IG inverters show power as w. Check your Fronius manual. Could be a set up problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X