Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new pool owner solar pool heater pump sizing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new pool owner solar pool heater pump sizing.

Hi All,I just joined this group as I've found a ton of great advise.
    Thank you in advance! You expertise is very much appreciated.
    I just acquired an intex 18'x9' 52" pool.

My plan is to install 4 x 20 panels to my roof.
    Question is what make of solar panels are the best
    Fabco, evosun, sun grabber? Ps I live north if Toronto.
    How many panels will I require.
    Are these easily fastened to my shingles?
    Roof is south facing with no obstructions.
    full sun all day long
    Another question is the size of pool pump I'd require to push the water 55 feet to my house, up 12 ft to my bungalow roof..I have no other option as I have 40 ft trees on the south and west sides of my property.
    Thank you kindly

Originally posted by benwie View Post
    Hi All,I just joined this group as I've found a ton of great advise.
    Thank you in advance! You expertise is very much appreciated.
    I just acquired an intex 18'x9' 52" pool.

My plan is to install 4 x 20 panels to my roof.
    Question is what make of solar panels are the best
    Fabco, evosun, sun grabber? Ps I live north if Toronto.
    How many panels will I require.
    Are these easily fastened to my shingles?
    Roof is south facing with no obstructions.
    full sun all day long
    Another question is the size of pool pump I'd require to push the water 55 feet to my house, up 12 ft to my bungalow roof..I have no other option as I have 40 ft trees on the south and west sides of my property.
    Thank you kindly
    I have good friends in T.O. and Mt. Albert. Lovely country.

Check for local codes/inspections for requirements before you start.

I'd start with a pool cover. Less $$'s for about the same heat as a pool collector. Use the solar pool water heater to pick up the most of the rest and top off with nat. gas. heat for the spring/fall seasons.

Don't know of quality of the brands you mention.

Check the pump curve and specs primarily for added 12 ft. static head on startup and additional operating head loss for 2 X 55 ft. of pipe plus a bit more for transitions, el's, goof & giggles. If replacement necessary to maintain proper filtering/system operation, consider a variable speed pump.

Start w/ the pool cover and see how warm the water gets. Then, add ~ 1/2 the pool area in collectors if necessary.

Although it will decrease efficiency some, consider not placing panels flat on the roof. Things get moldy/damp.

Comment

Thank you J.P.M!

I live 10 minutes away from mount Albert in Newmarket!!
      Small world my friend!
      I picked up the pool last night and it came with an intex 1600 gph pump saltwatersystem. I've heard these are not very powerful at all.
      In saying that I would then purchase a separate pump dedicated to run the solar system.
      Yes I do have a solar blanket!
      these panels I'm referring to are bought on amazon for a fee hundred bucks.
      Any other thoughts on inexpensive solar panels,what would you recommend?
      Thanks again
      Tim

Comment

Originally posted by benwie View Post
        I live 10 minutes away from mount Albert in Newmarket!!
        Small world my friend!
        I picked up the pool last night and it came with an intex 1600 gph pump saltwatersystem. I've heard these are not very powerful at all.
        In saying that I would then purchase a separate pump dedicated to run the solar system.
        Yes I do have a solar blanket!
        these panels I'm referring to are bought on amazon for a fee hundred bucks.
        Any other thoughts on inexpensive solar panels,what would you recommend?
        Thanks again
        Tim
        The common case is to plumb the solar collectors after the filter using the existing pump. I'd be cautious and check out the capabilities of the pump. USUALLY, solar collectors, depending on how they are plumbed, do not add a large amount of pressure drop to a system. HOWEVER, they do add some and every sit. is different. If the collectors and requisite associated additional piping do not add significant head (pressure drop) to the system, it'll probably be fine. Check the pump curve for the equipment and other lit. that came with purchase. This isn't an exact science.

Add: The bigger consideration will probably be the 12ft. elevation to overcome on filling the collector loop.

Adding a separate pump to the system adds a lot of complexity, cost and maint. and probably not necessary or worth it. Buying a larger pump is probably not necessary, may not be a good match for the filter or other components and as a practical matter will probably void any warranty.

As for pool collector info, I've seen, worked with and plumbed some Fafco stuff, and seen other stuff. For the most part solar pool heating is not very severe service, but I'm not very knowledgeable as to brand quality.

There may be some idea material for you on a website called builditsolar.

I'd guess you'll have most of the winter to mull the details, get up to speed some on pumps and systems and figure out how you want all this to look and function.

Good luck.
        Last edited by J.P.M.; 08-22-2014, 10:27 PM. Reason: Added csution about el. change.

Comment

I couldn't find anything out about the intex pumps curve etc.
          I've been told they are not very powerful.I feel my only option is to plumb a 1 hp AG pool pump after the filter swg system to run my solar panels. Divert the water through ball valves to divert the water.
          I'll try to upload some pictures of my yard to show the 55 ft to the house then 12 ft to the roof.
          Wondering if my spare aqua leisure 2150 pump would do the job?
          My wife really wants a salt water system and sand filter.
          I could buy separately but that will be expensive.

Comment

Sorry I can't upload any pics hmm.
            I'll get a hold of admin ..

Comment

Working...
            X