TED 5000 Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TED 5000 Users

Is it possible to monitor incoming (DC) production from the strings; ie: 3 strings that converge in parallel and go to the inverter, with a TED 5000?

On their website it looks like the system is only designed to look at and measure output production on the AC side.

I wrote to "TED" yesterday but so far no repsonse from them......also any thoughts on their customer service or phone help if you need it.

Regardless of number of strings, all of them go into inverter for input. You place the CTs right at inverter output lines or before the breaker to measure output. (most likely before the breaker in the service panel since you need the power)

Oh, just found out you need the DC info. Do you mean you like to know the DC voltage info on each string? However, I don't think a Current Transformer can measuring Current on DC.

Comment

Thanks sulversaver; that's how I understood the TED 5000 to work -- induction clamps on the CT go onto the AC legs and you see/monitor production.

What I'm asking, is, can the TED 5000 be set up to ALSO monitor the input (DC) from the solar strings as the strings enter the inverter.

Comment

As far as I know, AC only. I put my CT on the output of Inverter where it enters my power pedestal/panel to get a true KW input so that the losses from the inverter efficiency and distance to power pedestal are accounted for. If you need DC info, you might have to get the card for the Fronuius Inverter and have to calculate for the Inverter efficiency as well as voltage drop.

Comment

Originally posted by BrightDaze View Post
          Thanks sulversaver; that's how I understood the TED 5000 to work -- induction clamps on the CT go onto the AC legs and you see/monitor production.

What I'm asking, is, can the TED 5000 be set up to ALSO monitor the input (DC) from the solar strings as the strings enter the inverter.
          Monitoring DC is a little different. Usually the measurement means is directly wired in.

A failing string isn't going to be an every day thing. If you just check power at the peak
          time with good sun, a failure will be evident. In my case the 2 inverters should be a
          close match in decent sun.

To check or track down a string, a DC clamp on meter is great. A little more expensive,
          and there is a zero calibration button to compensate for drift of its hall effect field
          measurement device. With steady sun, just check a wire on each string, looking for a
          poor performer. Bruce Roe

Comment

Thanks bcroe.......it's lookin mote and more that the Fronius card might be the most economical way to go measure both input and output.......still wtng to here from the TED company.....they dnt seem to be burning up the road when it cones to answering a potential customer's email.

Comment

why would you want to track the voltage on DC?

Comment

For one thing, I think being able see to input over time can give an indication of string vs. Inverter problems when it comes to troubleshooting. Especially if you have some data to look at over time. Ideally it would be nice to measure each of the strings input.......in this case, 3 strings all on the same plane and orientation. I realize a lot of folks are content with output only, however that seems like only half the picture.

Comment

If you want to measure the voltage on each of the three strings, you cannot do that while they are connected to the same inverter input. You could measure the current, but it would require either a shunt or a Hall Effect sensor on each string and a way to get the signal to some monitoring gear.
                  The inverter will usually display two of the three DC Voltage, DC Current, or DC Power, which will be the total for all three strings.
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Good idea, using a clamp on induction meter for checking panel strings periodically. I'm quite new to all this and I thought input could be automatically looked at by and be reported by the monitoring and logging sw.

For instance. a friend has a Chinese inverter that comes stock with software and an ethernet com card (wifi turned out to be an option).

That inverter is hardwired to a PC running XP. And that inverter's software among other things, shows realtime PV Input, DC Amps, DC Watts, DC Volts for each of its two MPPT inputs along with showing grid side AC output Volts, Amps and Watts; the sw also shows basic logging on the output side, day, week, month, year, and not much else.

I assumed seeing incoming and outgoing was basic stuff; perhaps not.

The Fronius which is turning out to be the inverter that will be installed on my system, has an optional comm card and associated comprehensive software that shows input, output along with other info and remote monitoring features. I'm looking for information about 3rd party alternatives to what Fronius offers when it comes to logging, monitoring, other features, SW/HW, at perhaps a better price without falling victim to the old "it's the stingy person who pays the most"

Comment

Originally posted by BrightDaze View Post
                      Good idea, using a clamp on induction meter for checking panel strings periodically. I'm quite new to all this and I thought input could be automatically looked at by and be reported by the monitoring and logging sw.
                      To be technically precise, an induction meter would rely on the voltage induced in wire loop by a changing magnetic field, in turn caused by a changing current. That does not work for DC unless all of your components are superconducting.
                      The DC clamp on ammeter, unlike the AC version, has to measure the static strength of the magnetic field in the closed loop of the clamp jaws.
                      That can lead to calibration errors and zero-shift caused by local magnetic fields near the clamp.
                      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog
                        The DC clamp on ammeter, unlike the AC version, has to measure the
                        static strength of the magnetic field in the closed loop of the clamp jaws. That can lead to
                        calibration errors and zero-shift caused by local magnetic fields near the clamp.
                        Right. Generally trying to get over 2 decimal places out of a clamp on DC is stretching it.
                        For these purposes that is quite acceptable. And zero drifts with time.

Getting down to technique, I hold the clamp up against the wire to be measured, and hit
                        the zero button. After getting a zero, I open the jaw, let the wire drop into the clamp, and
                        hold the clamp in the same place & orientation as when zeroed. This will pretty much
                        cancel the surrounding field.

Moving on to another wire, I hold the previously zeroed clamp up and note how much it
                        has shifted. If its zero is within tolerance for what I am doing, I pop the wire in and make
                        the next measurement. If too far off, rezero. OR just note the size of the error, then
                        subtract it from the reading. But that requires noting the SIGN of both numbers. Subtracting
                        a positive error from a negative reading gives a bigger negative reading. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
                        X