Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery bank over voltage

Hi all
    I have a 5kva voltronic inverter with build in 3kw mppt charge controler and 30a ac charger connected to 200Ah 48volt battery bank and to 9x250 watt pv pannels in 3 strings
    The inverter has a protection for battery and error occurs if battery volt raise to 60volt
    during day light when batteries are fully charged and the charger in float state (54 volt) and when I use a load which is bigger than solar power (big load or cloud passing in sky) which make the inverter take power from batteries after that when the big load is turned off or the sky becomes clear the battery voltage raise to more than 60v and the inverter turn off for 3 seconds then it works fine after that
    this happend some times may be 4 times a day
    where is the problem

I would say the problem is poor design in the logic of the inverter-charger which governs when the line voltage powered charger is used and when it is not.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      I would say the problem is poor design in the logic of the inverter-charger which governs when the line voltage powered charger is used and when it is not.
      Its a conflict in design and component matching. Your inverter is designed with a batt charger using a Float charging algorithm of 52 to 54 volts. Anything higher and it sees it a Over Voltage and shuts down to protect the batteries. You solar charger is a 3-stage Algorithm, and Float is the last stage. Bulk and Absorb voltages are above your Inverters Over Voltage Alarm point.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

The inverter has 3 stage charging algorthm and we can control bulk voltage and float voltage from panel
        And I set float charge 54 volt and bulk 56.4 volt
        the problem happend last month after a week from setting the ac chager from 20a to 30a
        plz note problem occurs even when I off the grid and ac charger not working

Comment

There is only one possible way for battery voltage to rise from 54 to 60 volts, a malfunction of either the charge controller or AC charger. Only way to make a battery voltage rise is from another source of higher voltage. Your system has two sources; Charge Controller and AC Charger.

Trouble I have from that is it would take one he!! of a hard source to raise battery voltage from 56 to 60. Several hundred amps would have to flow, or occur over a very long period of time.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            There is only one possible way for battery voltage to rise from 54 to 60 volts, a malfunction of either the charge controller or AC charger. Only way to make a battery voltage rise is from another source of higher voltage. Your system has two sources; Charge Controller and AC Charger.

Trouble I have from that is it would take one he!! of a hard source to raise battery voltage from 56 to 60. Several hundred amps would have to flow, or occur over a very long period of time.
            If the inverter and the CC are connected to the same point, but there is an intermittent or high resistance connection between that point and the battery bank, or maybe a similar flaky connection in the battery interconnect wiring, could it cause that symptom?

Also, although not mentioned as a possibility by the OP, if there is a remote voltage sensing circuit for one of both chargers, the voltage at the common point of the inverter and the charger wiring might go to a voltage significantly higher than the actual battery voltage.

Just speculating on low probability (but greater than zero) potential causes.

abozakaria: We need to know a lot more about the details of the wiring interconnecting all of the various components to make a more educated guess as to what is happening.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

This is solar inverter (full sine wave inverter +mppt solar charger +ac charger) in one pakage and it has 4 interfaces ac in , ac out , battery and pv and all theses controled by internal cpu's
              I connect batteries using 1m 50mm copper wires
              note that the inverter could transform solar energy directly to ac and I know that because when sun is strong and am using solar energy no current pass from battery but there is current pass to battery charging it (am using clip multimeter)
              And iam sure there isnt much current raise battery voltage from 54 to 60 because the problem happen also when the grid is off and the only power source is the 2kw pv which is not only charge batteries but also supply my home with at least 800 watts of power ...and indeed I measured the current and it nearly 22A
              is there a possibility that its a battery problem ?

Comment

I contact inverter manufacturer and it supply me with a new firmware and it solved the problem

Comment

Originally posted by abozakaria View Post
                  I contact inverter manufacturer and it supply me with a new firmware and it solved the problem
                  Yeah we knew it had to be either the AC charger or controller problem. Impossible for batteries to do that. Sort of like saying the gasoline fairy comes to your house every night and fills your gas tank.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                    Yeah we knew it had to be either the AC charger or controller problem. Impossible for batteries to do that. Sort of like saying the gasoline fairy comes to your house every night and fills your gas tank.
                    She Doesn't?
                    House-Sun Earth Hot Water.
                    RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

Working...
                    X