X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leitersr
    • Aug 2014

shed solar

Hello,
    I'm looking for help to put my shed on off grid solar. I want to use a battery for off times. I'm new at this so if someone could help I would really like that.
    I'm trying to find a kit like thing if possible, or should I buy everything seprete. I will be using 3-4 outlets, lights, an a air compressor on the solar panels.
    The more help I get the better. Also is it easer to do this my self, if so what all would I need?

Thank you,
    Mikel Leiter sr
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Running an air compressor off solar is real expensive, so much so I doubt this ever happens. The most effective and least expensive way to get this done is to run a circuit from your main breaker at the house to the shed. If that is not possible be prepared to spend several thousands of dollars to make an air compressor work on solar.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Wy_White_Wolf
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2011

As SK pointed out, the air compressor is going to be expensive.

First thing you will need to do is an indepth evaluation of your power needs and calculate how many watthours of power you will need. You will have to go by the worst case which would be the maximun that you'd expect to use in a day. Without that you're just pissing in the wind.

Comment

• ZoNiE
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2014

A gasoline powered Air compressor is much cheaper to run, and you could build one from an electric one and a lawnmower engine and Automotive AC clutch that cycles on and off with the pressure switch. Gasoline is more efficient as you are converting it directly to mechanical energy.
        House-Sun Earth Hot Water.
        RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

Working...