Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have a question for RV setup's wanting some info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18 months of solar on our RV

To give you an idea as to what to expect from (1) 250watt panel and a MorningStar 60Amp MPPT controller and (2) Trojan T145 260Ah batteries, after 18 months the MorningStar MPPT output shows 10061.8Ah, 134kWh to date (Panel is mounted flat on the roof).

At .12 a kW that comes out to around $16 in electrical savings, if you're counting and an investment of somewhere in the area of $1500.

So what does it cost?
    Not exact, but the prices are close….

1 - ($350) 250 Watt Solar Panel
    1 - ($500) MorningStar 60 Amp MPPT Charge Controller (converts 30+ panel volts to 12VDC RV system)
    1 - ($300) PSI - Inverter (1500 Watts)
    4 - ($400) Trojan T145 6volt batteries (260Ah)
    (Misc, ANL fuses, wire.....)

When we dry camp (just the basic essentials of life, TV, Radio, Charge laptops, smart phones, tablets, vent fans and LED lights). The above setup gets us through the dry camping, but we still need to keep one eye on the battery levels. [PART OF A SOLAR LIFESTYLE]

So if you can survive without AC, Microwaves (other than warming up a cup of java, mid-day), and a few other things, the above system will work.

We plan to add one more panel and 2 more batteries after our camping season ends in December.
    That will give us a little more cushion.

So if you’re looking to save $$$, solar RVing is not the way to go. A generator or tow vehicle charging will last a long time on $1500.

Just my thoughts,

Don

2013 Jayco Eagle 284BHS
    250Watt Grape Solar Panel, MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
    2 Trojan T145 Batteries (AH @ 20 HR Rate 260)
    1500 Watt Ramsond PSI,
    2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
    EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless modem (n)
    MagicJack Internet Phone
    2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
    157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar RV Album http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/album.php? albumid=145

Comment

Mustang, why are you using a 60a charge controller when a 30 would be fine for 250w @12v ($200 difference)?

Comment

Expansion.. I have room for (4) 250watt panels on the roof.. will be adding one more panel later this year.. and more than likely one more next year (for a total of 3) to speed up the charging process.

Don

Comment

...Doesn't anyone else here use a Percolator on the stove to make coffee?

House-Sun Earth Hot Water.
          RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

We did for 25 years while camping. We heated water on the stove and poured it through a Melitta cone filter . This last trip I saw Honey digging though the storage and before I could ask what for, out pops a auto drip we used years ago for the one trip we had electric hook up. Since Honey prefers it over the mud I make on the stove, we use it as long as the weather is good. Since then I have hidden the electric skillet, toaster over and a few other high draw items. lol

Comment

Originally posted by jimindenver View Post
              We did for 25 years while camping. We heated water on the stove and poured it through a Melitta cone filter . This last trip I saw Honey digging though the storage and before I could ask what for, out pops a auto drip we used years ago for the one trip we had electric hook up. Since Honey prefers it over the mud I make on the stove, we use it as long as the weather is good. Since then I have hidden the electric skillet, toaster over and a few other high draw items. lol
              You can find some pretty nice "solar ovens" that really do a great job cooking. Just another item for people that like to dry camp and still have the ability to cook without using wood or gas.

Comment

Well, Coleman does make that drip thingie that resembles an electric mr. coffee, but you put it on the stove. My buddy has one. We prefer a cup of choc-full-o-nuts mud made in the percolator.

A french press is nice too...

The Keurig just uses too much energy.
                House-Sun Earth Hot Water.
                RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoNiE View Post
                  Well, Coleman does make that drip thingie that resembles an electric mr. coffee, but you put it on the stove. My buddy has one. We prefer a cup of choc-full-o-nuts mud made in the percolator.

A french press is nice too...

The Keurig just uses too much energy.
                  But man look at all those flavors of coffee and tea. .

I would have to drag a generator around so my wife gets her Keurig coffee in the morning.

Comment

where did this go wrong

Lets start over I started this. I started this with the fuul intuition of no going off grid,, look I live in my camper about 360 days ayear I am in dallas tx. I don't wont to go off grid just want to help with my 12 system,,, everyboby tell me I need off grid, why? I want to cut my power rating down,,, remembers rv is based on a 12 system,,,, only tv ac an microwave or 110v might could catch the tvs once in s while \,,, now y;all keep telling me I need a massive power grid well no ****,,, that's not my goal ... I said cut down my bill not cut it off, I have many ideas to that this can work for more than gaining power like over my slide outs there is no cover and poor insutlation over them I can gain shade, wich internes shade and cooler spots,,, thatss why I said on grid,,,, now some please tell me where to start not on a complete off gride but to help u know the word help,,, if I am on rhe wron site then tell me I want be b ack,,,, I am not saying this is not a good site,,, just remember yall started some where , right or was there was no trail and eearror.... just looking at my part of going green,,,, and I have no trees around me at all its freaking texas,,, bottom line HELP OR NO HELP..... thANKS

Comment

Originally posted by akadrakkar View Post
                      Lets start over I started this. I started this with the fuul intuition of no going off grid,, look I live in my camper about 360 days ayear I am in dallas tx. I don't wont to go off grid just want to help with my 12 system,,, everyboby tell me I need off grid, why?
                      You live in Dallas TX. Electricity cost 9-cents per Kwh from power company. Off-gird solar cost $1 kwh. What else do you need to know to decide which power source to use?
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by akadrakkar View Post
                        Lets start over I started this. I started this with the fuul intuition of no going off grid,, look I live in my camper about 360 days ayear I am in dallas tx. I don't wont to go off grid just want to help with my 12 system,,, everyboby tell me I need off grid, why? I want to cut my power rating down,,, remembers rv is based on a 12 system,,,, only tv ac an microwave or 110v might could catch the tvs once in s while \,,, now y;all keep telling me I need a massive power grid well no ****,,, that's not my goal ... I said cut down my bill not cut it off, I have many ideas to that this can work for more than gaining power like over my slide outs there is no cover and poor insutlation over them I can gain shade, wich internes shade and cooler spots,,, thatss why I said on grid,,,, now some please tell me where to start not on a complete off gride but to help u know the word help,,, if I am on rhe wron site then tell me I want be b ack,,,, I am not saying this is not a good site,,, just remember yall started some where , right or was there was no trail and eearror.... just looking at my part of going green,,,, and I have no trees around me at all its freaking texas,,, bottom line HELP OR NO HELP..... thANKS
                        Using solar to charge your RV batteries is one way but does not necessarily cost less than using a grid tie battery charger. Also your high loads like an Air Conditioner or microwave will never be able to run off the batteries or solar. They just require too many watts and amp hours to work properly.

I have a small portable "off grid" system (about 340 watts) that I can store in my RV and use to charge the Coach batteries but after all is done what I spent on those panels and chargers would be a lot more than what it would cost me to run my generator to charge the batteries.

The best way to reduce your costs is to also reduce your power usage. Using solar to charge batteries to run your loads will never save you money. It is that simple. I made the mistake of spending money on a solar battery charger and will never get back in savings from what I put into it by not using the Utility .

PV Charge controller 1.jpg340 watts of pv panles.jpgPV Combiner box.jpgBehind PV panels.jpg
                        Last edited by SunEagle; 08-20-2014, 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                          The best way to reduce your costs is to also reduce your power usage.
                          There lies the crux of his problem and lack of understanding. He lives in a RV in Dallas where summer temps are 100 just about every day from late May to late September. He wants air conditioning and does not want to pay for it. Too fricking bad. Sure you can do it with solar. All you need is a 18-wheel tractor trailer to carry all the batteries and panels needed to pull it off. But he does not want to pay for it. Other option is real easy, pay the POCO 9-cents per Kwh, or pay his battery dealer $1 per Kwh. That is how simple it is. But he does not want to hear it.

Like I said in post #2, You are not a candidate for solar.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

You can do air conditioning for limited amounts of time under full solar insolation during mid-afternoon. We do such as well as a few others. Generally we run off battery bank on late afternoon to get interior temp below 85F. This takes 1000 to 2000 W-hrs. Agreed, it is not inexpensive but we choose to primarily "dispersed camp". 9.6 kW-hrs of LFP weigh about 250#.

There is supposed to be a 48 V DC system that uses only 750W. They have not answered my request for further information.

I believe you can utilize a standard Dometic 15,000 BTU as we do with a "high-end" RV as has been discussed by Flylow and myself on another thread. It would be rather hard to run two air conditioners on RV solar/battery bank . So , yes it is partially possible but probably not completely possible. Son and daughter have around 7 kW solar and run air conditioning in NM. Daughter averages $60/month back from power company.
                            Reed

Comment

This will save you more than anything else. You're in the shade all day.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyLow View Post
                                This will save you more than anything else. You're in the shade all day.

I agree. If you are staying in the same area for a while those portable "shades" are worth their weight in gold. Not only makes it cooler but will help extending the life of your roof.

Comment

Working...
                                X