Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wunmi007
    • Aug 2014

Parallel Vs. Series PV Panels

In a battery bank of 4 (12v 200ah) connected in parallel will result in 12v 800AH and connected in series will be 48Vdc 200AH.
    What will be the resulting configuration of 4(12vdc 240w 8a) PV panels connected in a Parallel or Series circuit?
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Still 960 watts. The question is what is the voltage and current when configured in either series or parallel.

First the panels are not 12 volts as it is not possible, they are Grid Tied panels. But all we need to know is two parameters to find all the rest. Simple Ohm's Law states Voltage = Watts / Current. So if your panels are 240 watts with 8 amps them know the voltage has to be 240 watts / 8 amps = 30 volts

So if we parallel all four panels we have 30 volts @ 32 amps. 960 watts = 30 volts x 32 amps.
    If all in parallel then we have 120 volts @ 8 amps. 960 watts = 120 volts x 30 amps.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

Originally posted by wunmi007
      In a battery bank of 4 (12v 200ah) connected in parallel will result in 12v 800AH and connected in series will be 48Vdc 200AH.
      What will be the resulting configuration of 4(12vdc 240w 8a) PV panels connected in a Parallel or Series circuit?
      Follow the same model you used for the batteries.
      4 in series will be 48V (nominal), 8A, total of 960w.
      4 in parallel will be 12V (nominal), 32A, total of 960w.

Note carefully that the panel description is not consistent at all:
      A 12V nominal panel, for use with a PWM CC and a 12V (nominal) battery will have a Vmp of about 18V.
      But for your panel, a power of 240W and a current (Vmp?) of 8A corresponds to a Vmp of 30V, which is totally not a 12V battery panel and would be wasted if connected to a PWM CC for 12V batteries. Yet it is too low a Vmp to be optimal for a 24V battery bank.
      Last edited by inetdog; 08-17-2014, 01:34 AM.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• wunmi007
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
        Follow the same model you used for the batteries.
        4 in series will be 48V (nominal), 8A, total of 960w.
        4 in parallel will be 12V (nominal), 32A, total of 960w.

Note carefully that the panel description is not consistent at all:
        A 12V nominal panel, for use with a PWM CC and a 12V (nominal) battery will have a Vmp of about 18V.
        But for your panel, a power of 240W and a current (Vmp?) of 8A corresponds to a Vmp of 30V, which is totally not a 12V battery panel and would be wasted if connected to a PWM CC for 12V batteries. Yet it is too low a Vmp to be optimal for a 24V battery bank.
        I'm confused, if Voltage is constant in Parallel connection and variable in series connection why do you have 48V in the parallel config. or is this a typo?
        Last edited by inetdog; 08-17-2014, 01:34 AM.

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by wunmi007
          I'm confused, if Voltage is constant in Parallel connection and variable in series connection why do you have 48V in the parallel config. or is this a typo?
          That was definitely a typo, and I have already fixed it, so it never happened, do you hear me?

Comment

• wunmi007
            • Aug 2014

That was definitely a typo, and I have already fixed it, so it never happened, do you hear me?

Comment

• mapmaker
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
              Simple Ohm's Law states Voltage = Watts / Current.
              I learn something new every day... I always thought Ohm's law had something to do with resistance, voltage, and current.

--mapmaker
              ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by mapmaker
                I learn something new every day... I always thought Ohm's law had something to do with resistance, voltage, and current.

--mapmaker
                You left one out, Watts aka Power

Watts = Voltage x Current
                Watts = Current x Current x Resistance
                Watts = [Voltage x Voltage] / Resistance

MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

--mapmaker
                  The power law, in all of its forms as shown in the lovely circle diagram, relates all of the basic electrical quantities. It is more complete than what is commonly thought of as Ohm's Law, but encompasses that too.
                  Actually I belong to the camp that considers E=IR as the definition of resistance and Ohm's Law as the statement that the resistance, R is a more or less predictable and relatively constant property of the structure through which the current is flowing.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

The power law, in all of its forms as shown in the lovely circle diagram, relates all of the basic electrical quantities. It is more complete than what is commonly thought of as Ohm's Law, but encompasses that too.
                    Actually I belong to the camp that considers E=IR as the definition of resistance and Ohm's Law as the statement that the resistance, R is a more or less predictable and relatively constant property of the structure through which the current is flowing.
                    OK name some things that have fixed passive resistance that you use in every day life. Not many thing you can call out except incandescent light bulbs and strip heaters. Those are two things you should avoid using anyway. Most gizmos have dynamic power usage which changes every second. Higher wattage gizmos like Air Conditioning and Refrigeration use constant power that cycles on/off. But something like a desktop computer is very dynamic and at best all you can do is determine how much energy it will use in a day, but from minute to minute is impossible to determine.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
                      Super Moderator
                      • May 2012

OK name some things that have fixed passive resistance that you use in every day life. Not many thing you can call out except incandescent light bulbs and strip heaters. Those are two things you should avoid using anyway. Most gizmos have dynamic power usage which changes every second. Higher wattage gizmos like Air Conditioning and Refrigeration use constant power that cycles on/off. But something like a desktop computer is very dynamic and at best all you can do is determine how much energy it will use in a day, but from minute to minute is impossible to determine.
                      Which is why the power laws are so very helpful, but Ohm's Law by itself does not do you much if any good.
                      And I would not consider a light bulb an ohmic resistor because of its high temperature range. The temperature coefficient of resistance is high, but not orders of magnitude beyond the TC of copper, but the temperature range the light bulb filament operates over is very large, allowing the resistance to change by large multipliers.
                      Last edited by inetdog; 08-17-2014, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• ILFE
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2011

I need some popcorn and a coke, for this thread.
                        Paul

Comment

• mapmaker
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2012

OK name some things that have fixed passive resistance that you use in every day life. Not many thing you can call out except incandescent light bulbs and strip heaters. Those are two things you should avoid using anyway. Most gizmos have dynamic power usage
                          OK, I think you are justifying your 'expansion' of Ohm's law on this basis: The traditional I=E/R does not apply to most loads.

If you feel that way, then realize most loads are inductive or reactive... so your 'expansion' of Ohm's law needs to account for that also.

Of course if you do that (in a readable sized text), your circle will need to be four feet in diameter and that assumes you can do it in a circle... where do the imaginary numbers go on a circle?

--mapmaker
                          ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

OK, I think you are justifying your 'expansion' of Ohm's law on this basis: The traditional I=E/R does not apply to most loads.

If you feel that way, then realize most loads are inductive or reactive... so your 'expansion' of Ohm's law needs to account for that also.

Of course if you do that (in a readable sized text), your circle will need to be four feet in diameter and that assumes you can do it in a circle... where do the imaginary numbers go on a circle?

--mapmaker
                            Don't forget about Power Factor "PF" and how Harmonics influence Watts and VA in your circle diagram.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

OK, I think you are justifying your 'expansion' of Ohm's law on this basis:
                              Ohm' Law only works on passive DC circuits. In AC circuit Z replaces R, and Theta enters in the equations.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...