Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whyamihere
    • Aug 2014

Noob seeking advice about mounting hardware-wiring etc

Hey guys, I live in So Cal, home is 9 years old single story with a south facing roof & flat cement tiles. I'm getting quotes now, for a 10 panel system, and with this forums advice, I have decided on the panels & inverter, but what about the mounting system-wiring-connectors-etc etc? I would like the mounting to be low profile, maybe all black, with S/S hardware.

I'm looking for suggestions, anything I need to look for?
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Whyamihere
    Hey guys, I live in So Cal, home is 9 years old single story with a south facing roof & flat cement tiles. I'm getting quotes now, for a 10 panel system, and with this forums advice, I have decided on the panels & inverter, but what about the mounting system-wiring-connectors-etc etc? I would like the mounting to be low profile, maybe all black, with S/S hardware.

I'm looking for suggestions, anything I need to look for?
    Since you ask:

If by low profile you mean flush/low roof clearance, know that such clearances will probably reduce the system efficiency due to increased panel operating temps. So, probably, will all black panels for the same reason.

After a short time, you'll stop looking at the system anyway, and so will everyone else as it fades into the common, everyday view of life.

Also, flush mounting will make leaks harder to locate if/when they occur and also make it harder to find/flush critters, and inspect system wiring, etc.

SS hardware will be more expensive than aluminum for what is probably about equal service life and reliability. If you go w/SS, remember to not overtorque the bolting.

I got my roof inspected/serviced simultaneous w/system install. Cheap insurance. You probably won't be sorry if you do the same. FWIW, I paid extra attention to the system roof penetrations - double flashed w/attention to sealing details, etc.

Don't forget about the 3 ft. ridge and other setback requirements.

Comment

• Whyamihere
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by J.P.M.
      Since you ask:

If by low profile you mean flush/low roof clearance, know that such clearances will probably reduce the system efficiency due to increased panel operating temps. So, probably, will all black panels for the same reason.

After a short time, you'll stop looking at the system anyway, and so will everyone else as it fades into the common, everyday view of life.

Also, flush mounting will make leaks harder to locate if/when they occur and also make it harder to find/flush critters, and inspect system wiring, etc.

SS hardware will be more expensive than aluminum for what is probably about equal service life and reliability. If you go w/SS, remember to not overtorque the bolting.

I got my roof inspected/serviced simultaneous w/system install. Cheap insurance. You probably won't be sorry if you do the same. FWIW, I paid extra attention to the system roof penetrations - double flashed w/attention to sealing details, etc.

Don't forget about the 3 ft. ridge and other setback requirements.
      J.P.M.-

Thanks for all of your excellent advice, it's all good stuff to know, and I'm sure everybody reading it truly appreciates as well.

I don't want flush, but low profile, maybe 3-6" above the roof. I see some that look like they are a foot above the roof, which I don't care for.

At first I wanted all black panels, but I have since changed my mind. I would like black racking though.

The racking I have been quoted from 4 installers all have S/S hardware, by that I mean fasteners, with anodized aluminum channels & brackets. I haven't asked the brand names of this stuff, which is something I need to do, so I can research it to verify it's quality stuff. I'm the one paying for it, and it's my roof that needs to be properly sealed. The roof penetrations are critical, double flashing would be ideal. Any brand recommendations for racking??

I use a pair of binoculars and inspect my roof every couple of months, by climbing up on a ladder. I look for broken, cracked & loose tiles, and pay attention to the alignment of the ends of the tiles. I also have a short walkway in my attic, my HVAC equipment is up there, which I climb into as well, and look for any water damage after big rainstorms. Since it never rains in Southern California, I rarely have to climb up there!

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Whyamihere
        J.P.M.-

Thanks for all of your excellent advice, it's all good stuff to know, and I'm sure everybody reading it truly appreciates as well.

I don't want flush, but low profile, maybe 3-6" above the roof. I see some that look like they are a foot above the roof, which I don't care for.

At first I wanted all black panels, but I have since changed my mind. I would like black racking though.

The racking I have been quoted from 4 installers all have S/S hardware, by that I mean fasteners, with anodized aluminum channels & brackets. I haven't asked the brand names of this stuff, which is something I need to do, so I can research it to verify it's quality stuff. I'm the one paying for it, and it's my roof that needs to be properly sealed. The roof penetrations are critical, double flashing would be ideal. Any brand recommendations for racking??

I use a pair of binoculars and inspect my roof every couple of months, by climbing up on a ladder. I look for broken, cracked & loose tiles, and pay attention to the alignment of the ends of the tiles. I also have a short walkway in my attic, my HVAC equipment is up there, which I climb into as well, and look for any water damage after big rainstorms. Since it never rains in Southern California, I rarely have to climb up there!
        Unirac and IronRidge are 2 available systems. There are others. Racking is mostly concealed by the panels, black/not. IMO, SS fasteners (bolting/clips) may not be as good as fasteners of aluminum.

Comment

Working...