Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap solar heater technology recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap solar heater technology recommendations?

Hi guys, here in argentina Vacuum tubes (heat pipe) are very very expensive, want to know if someone know other good eficiency technology to use as solar heater.

I read some good reviews abt use plastic bottles and glass bottles but nothing that compare it with commercial technologies. Mainly i want 60C in my watter.

Sorry for my english!

Regards

Hi and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Flat plate collectors can achieve 60° C - they are less expensive and less troublesome.

What are you heating water for?

Russ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by samsagaz View Post
      Hi guys, here in argentina Vacuum tubes (heat pipe) are very very expensive, want to know if someone know other good eficiency technology to use as solar heater.

I read some good reviews abt use plastic bottles and glass bottles but nothing that compare it with commercial technologies. Mainly i want 60C in my watter.

Sorry for my english!

Regards
      Your English is a lot better than my Spanish.

Depending on your coldest weather and with it the possibility of damage by freezing, something called batch heaters can be effective. check out a website called builditsolar.com. there's lots of stuff/ideas there.

Vacuum tube collectors as water heaters are overkill, technically and financially.

Comment

Thanks guys, well, mainly will be used for my Home baths and if is possible want to use it in conjunction with my boiler to heat the radiant floor instalation.

winter
        máxima 33.4º C
        mínima -8.1º C

summer
        max 41C
        min 5C

spring
        Max 39.5C
        Min 6.3C

fall
        máxima 37C
        mínima -5.6C

Both can be made by myself!

I can weld cooper !

Using Flat plate collectors will get more temperatura than using batch heaters right?

Comment

Thanks guys, well, mainly will be used for my Home baths and if is possible want to use it in conjunction with my boiler to heat the radiant floor instalation.

winter
          máxima 33.4º C
          mínima -8.1º C

summer
          max 41C
          min 5C

spring
          Max 39.5C
          Min 6.3C

fall
          máxima 37C
          mínima -5.6C

Both can be made by myself!

I can weld cooper !

Using Flat plate collectors will get more temperatura than using batch heaters right?
          Flat plate will probably be a more efficient choice for what you describe. Remember, you are after quantity of heat (BTU's, Joules, etc.), not necessarily quality (temperature).

Good thermal designs provide temperatures high enough to do the job, but no higher than necessary plus maybe a BIT higher for some flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
            Flat plate will probably be a more efficient choice for what you describe. Remember, you are after quantity of heat (BTU's, Joules, etc.), not necessarily quality (temperature).

Good thermal designs provide temperatures high enough to do the job, but no higher than necessary plus maybe a BIT higher for some flexibility.
            So i can make an bigger plate instead purchase vacuum heat pipe, right?

Is possible to calculate how will be the highest temperature that can collect ¿ and how calculate the size of the flat panel?

I was thinking abt make one using copper tubes, like i see in some videos, but cant figure how transfer taht temperature to the radian floor system. Floor sytem use Pex tubing, if mix with copper, i get into troubles i think, Pex tubing dont have anti oxygen barrier :/

Comment

Look at http://www.builditsolar.com/ many designs for DIY

Keep coming here and the guys will help you - some good assistance available from several.

Flat plate is what you want - look at the drain back type.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                Look at http://www.builditsolar.com/ many designs for DIY

Keep coming here and the guys will help you - some good assistance available from several.

Flat plate is what you want - look at the drain back type.
                Thanks!

Comment

Is possible to calculate how will be the highest temperature that can collect ¿ and how calculate the size of the flat panel?

I was thinking abt make one using copper tubes, like i see in some videos, but cant figure how transfer taht temperature to the radian floor system. Floor sytem use Pex tubing, if mix with copper, i get into troubles i think, Pex tubing dont have anti oxygen barrier :/
                  You can use a heat exchanger to transfer the solar heat to the floor radiant. A pipe in a pipe heat exchanger is easy to make yourself with 2-6 foot pieces of pipe.
                  Google home made heat exchanger.

Comment

Answers to your questions are yes and yes, and are some of the heart and soul of solar thermal design. Finding the numbers and the best design involve more space than a forum such as this allows to answer properly. I'd suggest start with small DIY projects while reading a solar textbook. You will eventually be able to answer those questions and many more on your own, with some guidance from places like this as you generate more questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LucMan View Post
                      You can use a heat exchanger to transfer the solar heat to the floor radiant. A pipe in a pipe heat exchanger is easy to make yourself with 2-6 foot pieces of pipe.
                      Google home made heat exchanger.
                      After read looot of posts and websites, looks like the main problem is to mix copper with pex, will get problems in my floor system if mix that. And using an pex coil tubing inside the heat exchanger are not so efficient as copper, right? :/

Comment

After read looot of posts and websites, looks like the main problem is to mix copper with pex, will get problems in my floor system if mix that. And using an pex coil tubing inside the heat exchanger are not so efficient as copper, right? :/
                        I'm not a big fan of PEX, and even if I was, I'd not use it as a heat exchanger component.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                          I'm not a big fan of PEX, and even if I was, I'd not use it as a heat exchanger component.
                          Ok, then will purchase 15mts of copper and will make the exchanger coil with that! but in all the other parts will use pex.

3/4 Pex in argentina cost like 1USD/mt and copper like 9USD/mt

Amazing right?

Comment

Ok, then will purchase 15mts of copper and will make the exchanger coil with that! but in all the other parts will use pex.

3/4 Pex in argentina cost like 1USD/mt and copper like 9USD/mt

Amazing right?
                            I'd also consider what it costs to get at, service and replace if/when it fails in any application.l

Comment

PEX can not be exposed to sun light

PEX has temperature restrictions - look them up.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X