• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by kwilcox
    I myself will be working on a practical way to locally store the excess
    energy that my array produces during peak sunlight hours then meter it back during my
    home's high demand times when the array is not producing. Net metering policies are
    going to go away when our government swings back to the traditionalists you see.
    Let us know when/how you solve that problem. It is the key to many REs. I spent a year
    looking at it, then net metered to the Nuke down the road.

For now if net metering goes away, it will wipe out the practicality of all sorts of RE.
    Sure big energy would be happy, but I don't think they will win this one. Bruce Roe

Comment

• JCP
      Solar Fanatic
      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
      Let us know when/how you solve that problem. It is the key to many REs. I spent a year
      looking at it, then net metered to the Nuke down the road.

For now if net metering goes away, it will wipe out the practicality of all sorts of RE.
      Sure big energy would be happy, but I don't think they will win this one. Bruce Roe
      Let's do some quick back of the envelope math under best scenario:
      - Say cost of Li ion batteries come down to $100 / KWh.
      - Average house probably needs 25 to 50 KWh of capacity
      - So $2500 to $5000 of batteries
      - Tack on $3000 of inverter and associated electronics
      - Another $3000 to install

We're looking at close to $10K to have an off grid system, and who knows how long the batteries/inverter will work. I love the idea but it's got a ways to go before making any economic sense.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by JCP
        Let's do some quick back of the envelope math under best scenario:
        - Say cost of Li ion batteries come down to $100 / KWh.
        - Average house probably needs 25 to 50 KWh of capacity
        - So $2500 to $5000 of batteries
        - Tack on $3000 of inverter and associated electronics
        - Another $3000 to install

We're looking at close to $10K to have an off grid system, and who knows how long the batteries/inverter will work. I love the idea but it's got a ways to go before making any economic sense.
        I agree with your math. Storing RE energy in batteries is still very expensive and far outside the reach of most people even here in the US. Maybe the "holy grail" of batteries will be found in the next 5 years or so but even then it takes years and lots of funding to get a new idea from the lab into the commercial market.

Comment

• bcroe
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
          I agree with your math. Storing RE energy in batteries is still very expensive and far outside the reach of most people even here in the US. Maybe the "holy grail" of batteries will be found in the next 5 years or so but even then it takes years and lots of funding to get a new idea from the lab into the commercial market.
          We have been struggling with the battery problem for a century and a half, and progress has only
          been incremental. Don't hold your breath. Batteries are for when there is no other way.

Now here is my idea. We build this big steel ring around the equator, which can rotate on
          bearings. People with extra energy push on it to go faster; those needing energy take some
          and slow it down. It averages out the sun and the night, the tides, the winds.

There might be some new engineering challenges. Bruce Roe

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

LOL
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

We have been struggling with the battery problem for a century and a half, and progress has only
              been incremental. Don't hold your breath. Batteries are for when there is no other way.

Now here is my idea. We build this big steel ring around the equator, which can rotate on
              bearings. People with extra energy push on it to go faster; those needing energy take some
              and slow it down. It averages out the sun and the night, the tides, the winds.

You think!!!

I still like the idea of trapping a black hole and .... oh never mind.

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

Originally posted by kathleenG
                Americans are fortunate to have an abundant supply of renewable energy resources throughout the United States. The Strategic Directions in the U.S. Electric Utility Sector Report, showed a fundamental basic changes that power utilities industry needs to go. The sixth-annual report was published Monday by Black and Veatch, a consultation and construction firm. Read this here: Renewable Energy.
                All fixed up now !
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• PNjunction
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2012

Maybe the "holy grail" of batteries will be found in the next 5 years or so but even then it takes years and lots of funding to get a new idea from the lab into the commercial market.
                  Very true! But that 5-year wait is a very old stalling tactic to prevent those from trying to use what works and is on the market now, always investing in the future, but never realizing it. If it never makes it to market, then you have a very nice patent-warchest from which to make your investment grow from NPE's that buy you out. Sad.

Either that, or the product is very limited in quantity, only to satisfy California Air Resource Board requirements, then quickly shelved once that requirement has been met to allow them to concentrate on the old resources until they run out. From a business perspective, that makes total sense.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by PNjunction
                    Very true! But that 5-year wait is a very old stalling tactic to prevent those from trying to use what works and is on the market now, always investing in the future, but never realizing it. If it never makes it to market, then you have a very nice patent-warchest from which to make your investment grow from NPE's that buy you out. Sad.

Either that, or the product is very limited in quantity, only to satisfy California Air Resource Board requirements, then quickly shelved once that requirement has been met to allow them to concentrate on the old resources until they run out. From a business perspective, that makes total sense.
                    Something like the first EV that GM made and then all were destroyed because someone said they were "not worth while".

GM proved a point that an electric car could be produced and was a working solution to reducing pollution but they (IMO) were forced to shut down the operation by "others".

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

Something like the first EV that GM made and then all were destroyed because someone said they were "not worth while".

GM proved a point that an electric car could be produced and was a working solution to reducing pollution but they (IMO) were forced to shut down the operation by "others".
                      They still are not ready today (the EV) - that "Who killed the EV story" - I always considered that a green story - like the 100 mpg carb.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

The GM EV-1 was conceived in Sacramento CA by CA legislators mandating all vehicle manufactures selling in CA must offer emission free vehicles. Thus the EV-1 was conceived and born. A few short years later the law was found to be impractical, and the EV-1 died immediately. GM recalled all the leases and salvaged all the EV-1's because it was financially a huge looser for GM and was bleeding cash.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• kwilcox
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2014

Because I'm a glass-half-full guy, my head keeps returning to the upcoming Tesla Battery factory when I ponder this subject....

Cost aside, one would think that the nice thing about LI-<enter your favorite substrate here> battery technology is the fact that they can last forever at 40% charge. My speculation here is that this could lend itself well to a system that stores excess solar energy during the day then feeds it back in at night. ie: calculate or empirically determine your largest daily excess kWh then size your batteries at aH + 40%. The idea here being that the largest possible excess daily generation will end up charging the batteries to 100% and nightly "playback" would then stop when they reach 40% again.
                          4KW system featuring Suniva OPT265/Enphase M215

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Sunking
                            The GM EV-1 was conceived in Sacramento CA by CA legislators mandating all vehicle manufactures selling in CA must offer emission free vehicles. Thus the EV-1 was conceived and born. A few short years later the law was found to be impractical, and the EV-1 died immediately. GM recalled all the leases and salvaged all the EV-1's because it was financially a huge looser for GM and was bleeding cash.
                            And yet how many auto companies are jumping back into the EV field?

Maybe GM had a solution (although expensive) but to throw it away and start from scratch seems dumb. While the Volt is better than most hybrid models it still doesn't have the (electric only) range of something like the Tesla. GM could have been leading the charge instead of catching up.

Comment

• inetdog
                              Super Moderator
                              • May 2012

And yet how many auto companies are jumping back into the EV field?

Maybe GM had a solution (although expensive) but to throw it away and start from scratch seems dumb. While the Volt is better than most hybrid models it still doesn't have the (electric only) range of something like the Tesla. GM could have been leading the charge instead of catching up.
                              Possibly, or possibly the motor and battery technology available at the time the EV-1 was designed was limited enough that it would not have provided a useful platform to develop from.
                              The individual cells used in the Tesla battery were not originally designed for automotive use, and the technology push behind them might not have been done by GM themselves in any case.
                              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by kwilcox
                                Because I'm a glass-half-full guy, my head keeps returning to the upcoming Tesla Battery factory when I ponder this subject....

Cost aside, one would think that the nice thing about LI-<enter your favorite substrate here> battery technology is the fact that they can last forever at 40% charge.
                                Who fed you that garbage and why did you eat it? All batteries have shelf and cycle life, whichever comes first. a really good quality Lithium battery has around 2000 cycles if cycled between 20 and 80% DOD or up to 8 to 10 years sitting on a shelf.
                                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...