Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVA/Flex Seal Backing?

Hello.

My first attempt failed miserably- So I have ordered EVA, I have a heat gun and vacuum already, but I don't want to shell out the cash for Tedlar...

I was wondering if I could coat the EVA with Flex Seal on the back of the panel for slightly more impact resistance and scratch resistance.

Tedlar is expensive and shipping is forever.

This is only for a 10-cell panel (3x6) for phone charging, etc. Kind of an experiment/proof of concept.

What do you guys think?

PS I read somewhere where someone was saying "Hey Flex Seal is this new stuff that can be an awesome encapsulant!" and I'm a little skeptical that it would work that well by itself.

Newbie here!

I'm also wondering if either Flex Seal or Plasti Dip would make for a good cheap alternative encapsulating material.

Comment

I'd be wary of the plast-dip, it's a very high solvent base, and may dissolve or react with the EVA.

don't know what "Flex Seal " is, and I doubt any PV mfg's use it. Sorry, no good news here.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently kicking around ideas for making a small home built solar panel. I already have 40 3x6 cells and ordered the flux pen, tab and buss wire. I'm gonna use frame and glass from a storm door.

I wonder if it would work to use only the plasti-dip and apply it heavily for enough protection.

Comment

Working...
        X