Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An aeroplane like this is absolutely solar!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An aeroplane like this is absolutely solar!!!

We humans have understood the power of SUN. Here is the proof!. Here is a plane that is powered by sun, it will see the established boundaries of solar power stretched to an unprecedented level, potentially inspiring cleantech innovation across the globe. With a estimated speed of 35,000km, this can change life of many, and our Earth.

And for the first time in history, we have an solar plane that is flying with no fuel, day and night, showing the incredible potential of the clean technologies - all these technologies that the world can also use in order to reduce the dependency to fossil fuel.

Originally posted by samhpes View Post
    We humans have understood the power of SUN. Here is the proof!. Here is a plane that is powered by sun, it will see the established boundaries of solar power stretched to an unprecedented level, potentially inspiring cleantech innovation across the globe. With a estimated speed of 35,000km, this can change life of many, and our Earth.

And for the first time in history, we have an solar plane that is flying with no fuel, day and night, showing the incredible potential of the clean technologies - all these technologies that the world can also use in order to reduce the dependency to fossil fuel.
    Please tell me you don't believe the BS you just posted!

Not to mention the distance was 35,000 km - not the speed.

The thing is a nice toy and nothing more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

That plane is a nice research project but due to it's low speed and cargo limitations it will never be financially practical for passengers or freight delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by samhpes View Post
        With a estimated speed of 35,000km, this can change life of many, and our Earth.
        You are dumber than a rock. A plane that can go around the world in 1.5 hours right..........
        Last edited by russ; 08-08-2014, 11:54 AM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          You are dumber than a rock. A plane that can go around the world in 1.5 hours right..........
          I wish you wouldn't equivocate so much.
          Last edited by russ; 08-08-2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
            Uh!!! I don't understand what you just said.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
              Uh!!! I don't understand what you just said.
              J.P.M. likes to use those big words - I have to get a different dictionary!
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                J.P.M. likes to use those big words - I have to get a different dictionary!
                Sorry. No offense meant. They ain't big to me. I'll cut'em back to 3 syllables.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                  I thought I made myself very clear.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

A solar plane is still impossible these days. Probably, in the far future, it may likely happen. I agree that the use of solar power to power an airplane is impractical. It can be very costly and still needs a lot of research.

Comment

Originally posted by roxanwright View Post
                      A solar plane is still impossible these days. Probably, in the far future, it may likely happen. I agree that the use of solar power to power an airplane is impractical. It can be very costly and still needs a lot of research.
                      It can be done and already has, and even manned flight with a little help of a battery to get it flying. Having said that even if it were possible to build 100% efficient light weight solar film still would only be a drop in a bucket required to have practical manned flight.

Where it does have applications is in communications and intelligence gathering (ReCon). Say high altitude micro Cell BTS. Say working in a remote area during search and rescue, special events where communications are poor, or battle fields with eyes in the sky 24 x 7.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                        It can be done and already has, and even manned flight with a little help of a battery to get it flying. Having said that even if it were possible to build 100% efficient light weight solar film still would only be a drop in a bucket required to have practical manned flight.

Where it does have applications is in communications and intelligence gathering (ReCon). Say high altitude micro Cell BTS. Say working in a remote area during search and rescue, special events where communications are poor, or battle fields with eyes in the sky 24 x 7.
                        I agree with your application. Having a high altitude platform that can stay up for many days could provide very good data for search and rescue and keep an eye on conflict areas.

In world war II they used blimps and zeppelins for that type of surveillance. Did need fuel but they were usually tethered to a ground position which limited the field of observation.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                          I agree with your application. Having a high altitude platform that can stay up for many days could provide very good data for search and rescue and keep an eye on conflict areas.
                          The military is just bringing down one that has been up for something like 18 months or more for that matter.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                            The military is just bringing down one that has been up for something like 18 months or more for that matter.
                            I saw that. It is the second or third test of the model X-37B.

Without a doubt that craft and it's brother having been used to test data collecting equipment. Since it can move around it would not necessarily have a predicted flight path as our "data gathering" satellites have so certain people would not know it was overhead and hide.

Although the cost to send one of them must be pretty steep having to use an Atlas rocket to get it up that high.

Comment

There is a big difference between a winged upper atmosphere plane with solar power which can move anywhere within its energy budget and also stay indefinitely within a particular area and the X-37B which is only a plane in the same way that the space shuttle was a plane.
                              It has a lifting body design that allows it to make an unpowered descent and landing, and it may be able to be launched in the future from a high altitude (near orbit) carrier plane rather than a rocket.
                              I have not seen any good information about its ability to change its orbit, nor the thrust budget available for that purpose.
                              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
                              X