Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange connectors on 145w 12v panels.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange connectors on 145w 12v panels.....

hi, i want to install in parallel (creating 290w 12v) - but am confused with what is on the back of the panels......someone said they are ready for series but i'm confused.

here are two pics with the case on and off.....

do i just shove a + wire into the + and - wire into the - ?

thanks so much for anytime viewing this.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by dark86 View Post
    hi, i want to install in parallel (creating 290w 12v) - but am confused with what is on the back of the panels......someone said they are ready for series but i'm confused.

here are two pics with the case on and off.....

do i just shove a + wire into the + and - wire into the - ?

thanks so much for anytime viewing this.
    If those fittings at the bottom are compression nuts to seal around the wire, then sort of shove the wire in and connect it to the terminal points inside the junction box.
    The problem is to find the right kind of wire.
    The most expensive but easiest to satisfy the electrical code with is what is called PV wire. It has thick insulation and is listed for use outside in direct sunlight, rain, etc.
    The typical loose wire you get at Home Depot or Lowes is not rated for sun exposure and has to be installed in a conduit or PVC sheath.
    Some types of multiwire cable (such as USE-2) are rated for open use in the sun.
    Many panel junction boxes these days include plug-in MC4 type connectors and you can buy matching premade cables/wire with the mating connectors on the ends.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      If those fittings at the bottom are compression nuts to seal around the wire, then sort of shove the wire in and connect it to the terminal points inside the junction box.
      but the inside of these nuts is all plastic - nothing to connect to - unless i shove the wire up further then it sort of "crashes against some metal" instead of connecting to it.

i'm getting more confused with this junction box - and the manefacturer is on holiday for all of august (spain).

Comment

but the inside of these nuts is all plastic - nothing to connect to - unless i shove the wire up further then it sort of "crashes against some metal" instead of connecting to it.

i'm getting more confused with this junction box - and the manefacturer is on holiday for all of august (spain).
        Sometimes you will have plastic nuts around a metal post. The wire goes into a cross hole in the post at the bottom or just wraps around and is held against a metal base plate that the nut tightens against. (that kind of connector is often called a binding post and can be used with many types of wire. It is not weatherproof, so not common for solar panels.)
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

but the inside of these nuts is all plastic - nothing to connect to -
          Those "plastic nuts" are just the grommets to secure the cable (ie keep water and dirt out of the box).

...unless i shove the wire up further then it sort of "crashes against some metal" instead of connecting to it.
          You push your cabling straight through the grommets and into the box. The cable then connects to the connection tabs on the inside (the silver tabs)
          You can connect the cable to the connection tabs via screw, clip, or solder (depending on what the actual tab allows on the inside).
          The one in the picture looks like it goes straight into the post...

All the solar panels come with junction boxes (some even come with the MC4 connectors as well). I wouldnt contact the manufacturer over this...as it is really very basic...I doubt they would take the question seriously...
          Last edited by daz; 08-08-2014, 02:05 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
          X