Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Solar40
    • May 2014

Day or night usage for a pump?

I have the option of running a 70 watt air pump for sewage treatment during the day (taking advantage of the solar panels) or during the night (drawing from the 48 v battery bank).
    Which is more efficient?
    Gel batteries 24 x 2v BAE 6 PVV 660 Secura solar
  • paulcheung
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2013

Seriously?
    Do you have to contribute any money to replace the batteries when they need to be replace?

Comment

• ILFE
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Solar40
      I have the option of running a 70 watt air pump for sewage treatment during the day (taking advantage of the solar panels) or during the night (drawing from the 48 v battery bank).
      Which is more efficient?
      Mate, any time you can run your loads directly from the PV input, you are much better off than using batteries.

So, day loads would be a much better decision.
      Paul

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Daytime. I have my water pump set to run noon - 4pm Usually, by noon, the batteries are well into absorb, and I have power to spare.

Nighttime loads require about 30% more harvest than daytime loads, for the extra system losses (20% battery recharge, battery wear, longer time till end of absorb)
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...