X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Maryland

Hello, I'm very new to solar but I love to build stuff and tinker so I'm interested in a small DIY setup with enough output to charge a marine 12v battery. I figure if the world explodes at least I can charge my iPhone and the kids iPads!
    I did electrical work in high school and during college, and always did my own work on cars, so I have at least a basic understanding of 110/220v and 12v wiring. I have a whole house generator installed but I'd like to be able to charge a battery and run an inverter just to have some power that doesn't require fossil fuel.

Welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

There is a lot of good information under the Off Grid Solar section. You will find some direction on how to size and build a solar battery system.

Just be aware that if your power "needs" start to increase the cost starts to really go up. Enjoy reading and you can start a new post with your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by pwoolford View Post
      Hello, I'm very new to solar but I love to build stuff and tinker so I'm interested in a small DIY setup with enough output to charge a marine 12v battery. I figure if the world explodes at least I can charge my iPhone and the kids iPads!
      I did electrical work in high school and during college, and always did my own work on cars, so I have at least a basic understanding of 110/220v and 12v wiring. I have a whole house generator installed but I'd like to be able to charge a battery and run an inverter just to have some power that doesn't require fossil fuel.
      'Charge kids iPads ' well if the world comes to an end I guess thats priority.
      You might want to look into on grid solar. MD has some pretty nice incentives, as well as SREC market, and rebates:
      http://www.dsireusa.org/solar/incent...srp=0&state=MD

You could put in a GRID tie solar system with some battery backup for emergency loads and tie in with Genny for a real resilient system.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
        'Charge kids iPads ' well if the world comes to an end I guess thats priority.
        Love it!
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
          Love it!
          Hey. You have to keep them kids occupied somehow. iPads are great babysitters.

Comment

We all have priorities in life.

Comment

Originally posted by pwoolford View Post
              I think the fastest route to that small stuff is easily done off the shelf. Anker 14w folding panel (includes built-in smart-iq 5v switching regulator), 13000 to 15000mah Anker external battery pack. While the panel alone could charge the phones or ipad, you don't want to do so with them in direct sun, so better to just pop the external battery in the shade, or perhaps even an oven mitt. Aside from Powerfilm, I really like the Anker line lately, especially when it undergoes scrutiny under my Flukes!

Now the kids can be mobile and self-supporting, allowing you to concentrate on the marine-battery application. Keep reading!

Comment

I am not sure but I believe the OP has not returned since he only has a single post. Either we scared him away or he got p##sed off and left.

Comment

Working...
                X