X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • remnokc
    • Jul 2014

Todays Pics, 26 Panels Installed

UnderSEmostPanelOnWest.jpgUnderSEmostPanelOnWestRoofFace2.jpgStringAwaitingHook-up.jpgOptimizerInstalledReadyToBeCovered-w-Panel.jpgWestFaceOfRoofFacingSE.jpgWestFaceOfRoofFacingNW.jpgWestFaceOfRoofFacingSW.jpgReady4theLeafBlowerYet.jpg

any Solar Edge Experts on here, anyone see any issues with Optimizers?

Here is the Text of a PM I sent to the Website Folks who initiated this Grand Experiment

--"Please excuse me for bothering you off hours, but I am wondering if I should have issues with the Optimizers installed this way? The guys put up two runs (26 panels total) (today) and I thought I should point this out before it gets farther along. If I am just blowing smoke, please do not HESITATE to put me down.
    1) Optimizer should be installed flipped from shown in photo and flush against the rail with tooth washer on top between nut and optimizer????
    2) Heat issues and no air circulation between the Optimizer and the back of the solar panel???
    3) Though the Optimizer is pretty well protected in this orientation, should I be worried about moisture issues from weather and condensation (dew) affecting the seal between the aluminum plate of the optimizer and its black plastic housing??
    -- Should I take these issues up with [the contractor] ???

Comment

• Bikerscum
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by remnokc
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]4952[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4953[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4954[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4955[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4956[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4957[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4958[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4959[/ATTACH]

Here is the Text of a PM I sent to the Website Folks who initiated this Grand Experiment

--"Please excuse me for bothering you off hours, but I am wondering if I should have issues with the Optimizers installed this way? The guys put up two runs (26 panels total) (today) and I thought I should point this out before it gets farther along. If I am just blowing smoke, please do not HESITATE to put me down.
      1) Optimizer should be installed flipped from shown in photo and flush against the rail with tooth washer on top between nut and optimizer????
      2) Heat issues and no air circulation between the Optimizer and the back of the solar panel???
      3) Though the Optimizer is pretty well protected in this orientation, should I be worried about moisture issues from weather and condensation (dew) affecting the seal between the aluminum plate of the optimizer and its black plastic housing??

I would say they're wrong.... definitely the opposite of how mine were installed. The installer needs to download the layout chart from Solaredge, & peel off those QR code stickers from the optimizers... make a map of the roof layout for online monitoring. Each optimizer has a unique serial number. There is an I Phone app also that they can use to scan the QR codes & lay it out in the app. It would be tough to scan if the optimizers are upside down like that. Either way make sure they do it or all of the panels will have to come back up to get the serial numbers.
      6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• remnokc
        • Jul 2014

And The Layout Stickers

And THAT was going to be my Next question, thanks for the input BikerScum!

Comment

• silversaver
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2013

I see lots shadow and leaf.....

Comment

• remnokc
            • Jul 2014

Yup SilverSaver

Have always known that I had shading issues -- one reason why I opted on such a big system [and why I call it the *Grand Experiment*]

shall be up there w/ a LONG handled swiffer and a Leaf Blower once it is up and running

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

Shading

Have always known that I had shading issues -- one reason why
              I opted on such a big system [and why I call it the *Grand Experiment*]

shall be up there w/ a LONG handled swiffer and a Leaf Blower once it is up and running
              After a while you may find a need to trim the tops off a lot of trees (like me). Bruce Roe

Comment

• silversaver
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by bcroe
                After a while you may find a need to trim the tops off a lot of trees (like me). Bruce Roe
                +1, just don't know how often and how many trees needed to be trim...... I was gonna trim the tree....but end up removed it...lol
                Attached Files

Comment

• remnokc
                  • Jul 2014

Still DEEP into The Learning Curve On This

Bruce, and all....
                  As I understand it, with the SolarEdge system; once it is set up, there should be public access to my roof to check my output via web.
                  Also, I believe they are putting a TED 5000 with my system too, and that is also web observable. Will post more here as I glean more myself.
                  w/ LOTS of Eye Dee Ten TEE errors LOL

PVOutput.org - share, compare and monitor live solar photovoltaic output data

note: leaving system off most of the time now as still have not gotten inspection and Electric Company won't update my meter until such is done.
                  note2: still waiting on the optimizer grid layout input to the solarEdge sight from installer. Once I have that I shall post that link too.

Comment

• PVAndy
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2014

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4952[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4953[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4954[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4955[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4956[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4957[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4958[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4959[/ATTACH]

I might see an issue. The SolarEdge String Sizing Requirements are no less than 8 panels in a string and no more than 5200 W DC STC in a string. How many of what wattage panels are in a string?
                    I've been through solarEdge training and designed sveral systems.

Andy

Comment

• ButchDeal
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by PVAndy
                      I might see an issue. The SolarEdge String Sizing Requirements are no less than 8 panels in a string and no more than 5200 W DC STC in a string. How many of what wattage panels are in a string?
                      I've been through solarEdge training and designed sveral systems.

Andy
                      What is indicating to you that he has less than 8 panels to a string?
                      It looks like an SE6000A-US with 2 strings of 13 and a SE10000A-US with 3 strings of 13...
                      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ButchDeal
                        What is indicating to you that he has less than 8 panels to a string?
                        It looks like an SE6000A-US with 2 strings of 13 and a SE10000A-US with 3 strings of 13...
                        I believe his panels are rated 255watts so with 13 in a string that comes in around 3315watts which is below that 5200 watt limit.

Comment

• remnokc
                          • Jul 2014

Thanks for the input guys!

--you are correct if my feeble serves as to string count SunEagle.
                          --and PVAndy, having had some learning curve issues with this whole thing, myself I truly appreciate your keen eye too.

--But I wish to save my BIGGEST SHOUT OUT to ButchDeal for his INVALUABLE help in the design and his trouble-shooting expertise during this whole install process.

Advertising and Sponsorship restrictions preclude me from naming names and posting links on this forum -- but please feel free to PM me for detailed references to my choosing my system's logistics and design experts.

Comment

Working...