Charger or Solar Panel problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charger or Solar Panel problem

Just testing my DIY solar panel and my Midnite solar classic 150, the charger shows Bulk MPPT but the watts produce is zero in the display, thus, it does not charge the battery , does anyone experience this? this is just a small setup in my room as I will send this back home in the Philippines.

setup parameter
    1. DIY solar panel, 36 cells, Voc measured = 18.6V , amps not tested because my meter is not capable to read amperage.
    2. Midnite solar classic 150 charge controller
    3. 17Ah vrla battery

The attached photo will explain what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Noel
    Attached Files

nearly all of the loose solar cells (PV chips) sold, are production rejects, and are always suspect.

If the Midnight Classic can't wring any power out of your panel, it's likely a bad panel or construction defect. An invisible to the eye crack in a large cell, will prevent current flow in the whole string of cells.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      nearly all of the loose solar cells (PV chips) sold, are production rejects, and are always suspect.

If the Midnight Classic can't wring any power out of your panel, it's likely a bad panel or construction defect. An invisible to the eye crack in a large cell, will prevent current flow in the whole string of cells.
      Too bad coz I bought 500watts of this cells, even thought the voltage produce 18v doesn't mean that the panel is ok? Is this what you mean?

Thanks a lot Mr. Mike!

Comment

Mike is correct that there is a possibility that either the cells are bad or the panel has a wiring issue.

I'm not sure about the Midnite Solar charger but most charger controllers require it to be connected to the battery first and then the solar panel. Connecting the panel to the charger first can cause the charger to not work correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
          Mike is correct that there is a possibility that either the cells are bad or the panel has a wiring issue.

I'm not sure about the Midnite Solar charger but most charger controllers require it to be connected to the battery first and then the solar panel. Connecting the panel to the charger first can cause the charger to not work correctly.
          I have connected the charger to the battery first and then to the panel, just a question, if my diy solar panel produce 18v, is there still possibility of wiring or cell problem?

Comment

Originally posted by noelana View Post
            I have connected the charger to the battery first and then to the panel, just a question, if my diy solar panel produce 18v, is there still possibility of wiring or cell problem?
            Not sure. Just because it provides an open circuit voltage reading doesn't necessarily mean it will have a current output. It is hard to say why your DYI panel is not charging the battery through the controller.

Have you tried your panel with another controller to see if it does the same thing or maybe a different battery. There is a mismatch component somewhere in your circuit.

Comment

Is the battery already fully charged? If so, discharge it some and try again.

I'm also wondering how much idle current the 150 draws. If your load is only a 17ah agm, then the 150 might be total overkill especially if it has relatively high idle current in relation to that battery capacity. Definitely a very cool controller!

Comment

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
                Is the battery already fully charged? If so, discharge it some and try again.

I'm also wondering how much idle current the 150 draws. If your load is only a 17ah agm, then the 150 might be total overkill especially if it has relatively high idle current in relation to that battery capacity. Definitely a very cool controller!
                If you check out the photos of the controller it had the battery voltage below 12volts and at 0%. So it is discharged and should be able to get charged unless it is dead and gone.

Again since I do not have hands on experience with that charge controller I can't really help much. I can only say that at least one component (panel, battery, CC or wire connection) is not working properly.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                  Not sure. Just because it provides an open circuit voltage reading doesn't necessarily mean it will have a current output. It is hard to say why your DYI panel is not charging the battery through the controller.

Have you tried your panel with another controller to see if it does the same thing or maybe a different battery. There is a mismatch component somewhere in your circuit.
                  Maybe your right about something is not compatible in my system, I'll try to use other charger when i got new one.
                  This morning it shows some very small improvement, its charging 2-6

Mod note - why the email address?
                  Last edited by russ; 07-29-2014, 09:06 AM. Reason: email address removed

Comment

Working...
                  X