Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • judrch
    • Jul 2014

salvaging my off-grid system

I have a older system that I've been wanting to salvage...My 14 panels I have tested and voltage varies from 16 volts-19volts, most are around 18 volts, average is 18.7volts...My first question is, should I go with a 12volt set-up or a 24volt set-up? Second question what type of voltage controller should I be going with? third question what batteries should I purchase and how many? Fourth question is my inverter? what size and how many?This is a part-time residency, hunting camp, My wattage consumption won't be much but I do want to live some what comfortably when I am there. I also want to expand down the road. my current usage 27''tv 2hours, well pump 1/2 hour, 3 60 watt lights 4 hours, micro wave 1/2 hour.
    Any and all help is appreciated.
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

For the panels, you need to measure the short-circuit current, ISC, not just the open circuit voltage. Even that will not be a complete test if you have one or more bad cells in the panel(s).
    You can use those panels with either a 12V or a 24V battery system IF you put them in series and use an MPPT type charge controller, which allows you to separate the panel voltage from the battery voltage (as long as the panel voltage is high enough).
    You could also put matched pairs of panels in series, run the pairs in parallel and use a PWM controller, but that would be a penny-wise pound-foolish design IMHO.
    You also need to find out what the actual power consumption is on the well pump. It will vary strongly with the volume of water pumped per minute. And replace your 60W light bulbs with CFL or LED, depending on the environment (CFLs do not work well in cold temperatures.)
    Last edited by inetdog; 07-27-2014, 07:29 PM.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

As inetdog suggested, you First need to determine your true electrical "watt hour" load. Then you can determine the size of your battery system. From there you calculate the amount of panel wattage you will need and determine which of your panels can be used. Then you size your charge controller and inverter.

Using more efficient lighting will help reduce your "watt hour" load as well as your battery size which is the expensive part of the system.

Also microwaves are big users so maybe another way of heating food not using electricity would help keep your off grid system costs down.

Comment

Working...