X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JasonCorp
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by PNjunction
    Ok, fair enough.

The problem is that solar shingles are not a new market segment, and just have plainly not taken off since the 1970's. What you are seeking is marketing feedback, and not technical feedback, which even treehuggers have doubts about (the last paragraph is crucial):

This is the kind of competition you'll be facing, unless you are aiming at an unknowledgeable DIY market. I can't help you there in good conscience.
    ORIG_109162.jpg

I. This is the energy output during the day. The red graph show the Solar Tiles , and the green shows the traditional flat panels.

II. Uncovered market : - Buildings under historical preservation
    - Churches , museums, etc.
    - Franchise systems (McDonald's, burger king etc.) cafes
    - Old parts of towns like San Francisco, Venice, Croatia etc.
    - A lot of people also says "solar panels are ugly"
    - At any place where looks do matter.

III. The installation is actually cheaper, and the end user system prices are the same w traditional panels.

Before you doubt it, its not a coincidence this product won many awards in Europe, and also get many unfair business offers.

But its clear the video failed because nothing went through. Maybe the dubbing will help with some animation who knows. Marketing ideas would be appreciated.

Jason

Comment

• PNjunction
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by JasonCorp
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]4548[/ATTACH]

I. This is the energy output during the day. The red graph show the Solar Tiles , and the green shows the traditional flat panels.
      Oh man, are you in the wrong place. An unsubstantiated chart means nothing. I have a chart just like that showing how a lemon with two nails in it has more capacity than the best Rolls-Surrette battery. Trust me. How about just simply showing how many WATTS each panel is capable of under a flash-test? Now we can calculate how much power can be produced under varying solar-insolation conditions, which include not being angled properly in many cases.

To be brutally honest, it is not that marketing has failed the solar-shingle sector, it is just the actual specs as compared to an elevated panel don't add up. Sure, you can try and shoe-horn in some edge-cases to justify it, but if the major players can't seem to break even, how is it going to be different for the start-up?

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4548[/ATTACH]

I. This is the energy output during the day. The red graph show the Solar Tiles , and the green shows the traditional flat panels. Your graph is pure BS - to post it either you are a fool or you think we are.

II. Uncovered market : - Buildings under historical preservation
        - Churches , museums, etc.
        - Franchise systems (McDonald's, burger king etc.) cafes
        - Old parts of towns like San Francisco, Venice, Croatia etc.
        - A lot of people also says "solar panels are ugly"
        - At any place where looks do matter.
        - Duck's butts

III. The installation is actually cheaper, and the end user system prices are the same w traditional panels.

Before you doubt it, its not a coincidence this product won many awards in Europe, and also get many unfair business offers .Meaningless - many things win awards - for example a couple of years back a French architect group won many prizes for placing vertical axis wind turbines inside of tall transmission towers. In reality a useless idea but greens loved it.

But its clear the video failed because nothing went through. Maybe the dubbing will help with some animation who knows. Marketing ideas would be appreciated.

Jason
        I want you to show how the tile to tile electrical connection is made in a satisfactory manner. With the smallish tiles there will be many, many connections on the roof - all inaccessible after installation.

This may well be the same tile someone from east Europe made a few posts about six months or a year back.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• JasonCorp
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by russ
          I want you to show how the tile to tile electrical connection is made in a satisfactory manner.
          connection.jpg
          The connections has near to 0 resistance. And than connect a cable on the side to one of the connection points and that goes to the inverter. Please note the +- signs also. // basically parallel
          connections.
          In case of malfunction: LED light shows the faulty tile, can be replaced one by one.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4553[/ATTACH]
            The connections has near to 0 resistance. And than connect a cable on the side to one of the connection points and that goes to the inverter. Please note the +- signs also. // basically parallel
            connections.
            In case of malfunction: LED light shows the faulty tile, can be replaced one by one.
            Not a positive connection? A sliding thing where you depend on luck that contact is well made?

The LED light is a nice gimmick! What makes that work?
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• JasonCorp
              • Jul 2014

Not a positive connection? - What do you mean ? A sliding thing where you depend on luck that contact is well made? the tile lath/slat/stave (I don't know how you call it) distances can be different on a lot of roofs, so no matter how you slide it, it stay connected (you can change the distance with 4-8 cm).

The LED light is a nice gimmick! What makes that work? - this is part of the patent, and I can't explain that, I am not an engineer - the other tiles give the energy
              I hope these are answers to you questions.

The connections bear 500 amper for 5 seconds without deformation.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

You are peddling bull -

1) How does the electrical current flow from tile to tile? There is are electrical between each.

2) The LED explanation is baloney.

You are trying to play venture capitalist

If you can't do better than this the thread will be closed.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• JasonCorp
                  • Jul 2014

You are peddling bull -

1) How does the electrical current flow from tile to tile? There is are electrical between each.

2) The LED explanation is baloney.

You are trying to play venture capitalist

If you can't do better than this the thread will be closed.
                  the tile lath/slat/stave (I don't know how you call it) distances can be different on a lot of roofs, so no matter how you slide it, it stay electrically connected (you can change the distance with 4-8 cm no matter what you do that stay electrically connected). // The cables are integrated if this was your question... And those are mechanical and electrical connections at the same time.

The picture I attached before explain how it electrically connects.. Take a closer look and if you don't understand it ask an electrical engineer. // There are positive and negative connection points....
                  Do you want me to give you a schematic about the LED or what ? It has been designed by an electrical engineer. Will you even understand that ?

You had questions , I answered them. I understand that you have doubts because other products designed in a different way.

Comment

• inetdog
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2012

My four cents:

1. It is a lot easier to make good interconnections between rigid thick tiles than between thin flexible shingles. Score one over the older solar shingles.
                    2. It is still not easy!
                    3. It looks like the main tiles just produce a series (or maybe parallel) circuit of as many tiles are are in a vertical column. Each contact is a wiping contact under pressure between two roughly 1" square flat contact surfaces with the pressure provided by interlocking of the plastic base form(s.)
                    4. A similar contact mechanism is used horizontally between the tiles of the top row (different design and including output terminals at the top of each tile.) This puts the columns in parallel and you can take your output via connectors from the top of each row into a harness or from the top of only one row up to some limit on width of array.

I am not optimistic about the contacts, but there might be enough pressure to get close to gas tight at points if the contact surfaces are clean when installed. The size of the contact patch would allow for an expansion joint between connected tiles of at least 1/4".

I would like to see more in the future, but although I am not willing to call it unworkable, neither am I optimistic.
                    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• JasonCorp
                      • Jul 2014

So the best thing to do, is make 1 or 2 pilot with universities, and let them certificate the product here in the U.S.
                      I admit that people has to see a working system on a rooftop.

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by inetdog
                        I am not optimistic about the contacts, but there might be enough pressure to get close to gas tight at points if the contact surfaces are clean when installed. The size of the contact patch would allow for an expansion joint between connected tiles of at least 1/4".

I would like to see more in the future, but although I am not willing to call it unworkable, neither am I optimistic.
                        Having tile roofs and numerous in the past on my homes and rentals - there is no way roofs fit that way. The connection between tiles can not just be laying one on the next.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2009

the tile lath/slat/stave (I don't know how you call it) distances can be different on a lot of roofs, so no matter how you slide it, it stay electrically connected (you can change the distance with 4-8 cm no matter what you do that stay electrically connected). // The cables are integrated if this was your question... And those are mechanical and electrical connections at the same time.

The picture I attached before explain how it electrically connects.. Take a closer look and if you don't understand it ask an electrical engineer. // There are positive and negative connection points....
                          Do you want me to give you a schematic about the LED or what ? It has been designed by an electrical engineer. Will you even understand that ?

You had questions , I answered them. I understand that you have doubts because other products designed in a different way.
                          You answered nothing - you simply posted some meaningless BS and called it good.

I do not need to ask an electrical engineer about the mini cartoon you posted - it is only a cartoon for fools.

Come up with something better in your next post or you are done.

Maybe you should start to learn why others have passed on this concept that you are flogging in order to make your fortune.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

If you were anything except a wannabee money man you would understand what you posted is meaningless.

Thread closed.

If you can come back with better information let us know.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...