280 watt grid tie panels for off grid application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 280 watt grid tie panels for off grid application

Hi, I recently purchased (4) 280 watt panels from solar world. The specs are 39.5 Voc, 31.2 Vmpp, Isc 9.71 amps, and Impp 9.07 amps. My question is would these be suitable to charge a 24v battery bank? The voltage seems right. I know I could use an expensive mppt charger but since the voltage doesn't need to be dropped it seems like I can avoid that expense and use a PWM charge controller. Any insight would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Tony123 View Post
    Hi, I recently purchased (4) 280 watt panels from solar world. The specs are 39.5 Voc, 31.2 Vmpp, Isc 9.71 amps, and Impp 9.07 amps. My question is would these be suitable to charge a 24v battery bank? The voltage seems right. I know I could use an expensive mppt charger but since the voltage doesn't need to be dropped it seems like I can avoid that expense and use a PWM charge controller. Any insight would be appreciated.
    I'm not an expert but I would caution you to not charge a battery system directly off the panels.

Without the charge controller you have no way to put the batteries through a normal and controlled charge cycle. Ultimately you can damage the batteries by over charging them.

Since your biggest expense is really the battery system a quality MPPT charger will be a justified cost to help you extend the battery life.

Comment

Spend the money is my recommendation. I went cheap, and ended up spending the money for a good Midnite classic 150 controller. You will be much happier with a quality purchase from the beginning.

Comment

Working...
      X