X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rodog123
    • Jul 2014

Newb Equipment Question.

Hello all,

First off this site is a great resource and is much appreciated.

My project of an outdoor grilling station/kitchen with solar panels is still in the drawing up stages. I will be using solar panels vs. running electrical to power some LED rope lights , a small small desk fan and a small LED TV 18".

-Is there something I'm missing in my equipment needs?
    -Do I need fuses in between controller and converter?
    - With all the different sites to purchase solar kits which do I choose?
    - Where would I install a system on/off switch? Before converter?

I would like to be able to add on later (battery and panels)

2 Solar panels (100w 12V)
    1 Controller (12V)
    1 battery (sealed 12V lead battery)
    1 Converter (400 Watt)

Thanks for your help answering this newbs questions
  • thastinger
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2012

If grid power is available the total cost is going to be orders or magnitude less to run power to the location than to take it off grid battery.
    You're probably talking about 2K, then battery replacement every few years after that...alot of cost for seasonal use.

If dead set on solar, you'll need to figure out the load on the system in total watts draw of all the things you want to run x hours per day of use.
    One of the big drawbacks to designing a stand alone system is that you have to design it with the desired capacity available each day, even if you only use it one day a week.
    1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

I will be using solar panels vs. running electrical to power some :
      LED rope lights , a small small desk fan and a small LED TV 18".
      OK, so you already made the decision that grid power is not feasible (for whatever reason)
      Since you want lights, I'll assume this is happening after 3PM. and you are going to need a battery & charge controller. (if it's before 3pm, you STILL will need battery and charge controller, but a smaller one)

At this point, you need to DESIGN your system because if you have too small of PV panel or battery, your lights go off before dinner is done and your TV show will be cut off in the middle.
      How much power (in watts) do your appliances consume, and for how many hours will they be used each day ? If you have 2 cloudy days, will you mind cooking somewhere else - or do you need to cook daily ?
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• rodog123
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
        OK, so you already made the decision that grid power is not feasible (for whatever reason)
        Since you want lights, I'll assume this is happening after 3PM. and you are going to need a battery & charge controller. (if it's before 3pm, you STILL will need battery and charge controller, but a smaller one)

At this point, you need to DESIGN your system because if you have too small of PV panel or battery, your lights go off before dinner is done and your TV show will be cut off in the middle.
        How much power (in watts) do your appliances consume, and for how many hours will they be used each day ? If you have 2 cloudy days, will you mind cooking somewhere else - or do you need to cook daily ?
        Thanks Mike for your response.
        You are correct this will be run after 3pm

The small tv will run about 72 watts and the small desk fan will run about I'm guessing 10 watts and the LED rope lighting will run about 15 watts.

The kitchen will only be used on the weekends and the tv and rope lighting and fan will only be run for about 4 hours each day.

How do I calculate my system requirements?

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

Originally posted by rodog123
          Thanks Mike for your response.
          You are correct this will be run after 3pm

The small tv will run about 72 watts and the small desk fan will run about I'm guessing 10 watts and the LED rope lighting will run about 15 watts.

The kitchen will only be used on the weekends and the tv and rope lighting and fan will only be run for about 4 hours each day.

How do I calculate my system requirements?
          72+10+15= __n
          n * 4 hours = _x_ watt hours

Your 12V battery needs to hold 3 * x watt hours
          Your PV panel needs to be (roughly) x / 4 (4 being a guess at effective sun hours at your location, in winter it will be lower, in cloudy season, it will be lower)

Hint - rope lights do not give good lighting for watching meat grill to see it's doneness. I like this light (12V LED warm white color) for that purpose. Amazing amount of light for 2.2 watts.

Mike
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• CraziFuzzy
            • Jul 2014

Try to run as much as possible at 12V, and avoid the use of an inverter. A lead acid battery, and a solar battery charger, and you can run quite a bit of LED light (look for RV/Marine lighting, or landscaping lights, to get very effective 12V lighting).

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Based on your numbers and location unknown you will need:

Panel Wattage = 200 watt, battery panels (2-100 watt) , or single 150 watt Grid Tied Panels
              Controller type and Amps = 15 amps PWM with 200 watt battery panels or 15 amps MPPT with 150 watts Grid Tied panel
              12 volt Battery capacity minimum = 100 AH AGM
              Inverter = 200 watt TSW

About $800 worth of equipment and a couple hundred in hardware will get you very limited 400 watt hours of electricity per day. For about the same or less money run an AC circuit for all the cheap unlimited power you want.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...