Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisOlson
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2013

Just ran the numbers from our ComBox and out of 6,928.5 kWh used in our off-grid home year-to-date, this is where the power came from:

When we brought our system up in March and dug the solar panels out of the snow, they spiked right up. When the solar puts out more power then the system automatically shuts down wind turbines so they don't get to do anything. Despite Global Warming, this summer has been cooler than normal so our A/C loads for July so far have been quite sporadic.

Wind power pretty much kicked ass for all of the snowy January and mostly powered the place. Turbines haven't run much this summer unless it's a cloudy day and the solar doesn't put out. Generator use spiked up in April because the solar didn't work very good and we ran out of wood for heating and had to use our backup electric heat pump to heat the joint. Solar has been working pretty good ever since.

To-date the numbers show, of the total:
    Solar: 67.3%
    Wind: 20.2%
    Gen: 12.4%
    off-grid in Northern Wisconsin for 14 years

Comment

• ChrisOlson
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2013

Sort of an old thread now. But my wife turned on some major stuff in the house (just because she can), which caused the EM4000SX to start on Load Support due to the inverter being massively overloaded. So I snapped a video of the Honda working with the XW inverter, with both of them supplying 8-9 kVA continuous to the loads in sync with one another. And with intermittent surge loads to 13 kVA. In the video I stated I thought the surge loads were 10-11 kVA but I looked at the ComBox data and it showed actual peaks of 13.2 kVA - with a 6 kVA inverter that can deliver 12 kVA for 20 seconds working in unison with a 3.6 kVA generator that can produce 5 kVA for 20 seconds (while maintaining voltage and freq +/- 3.5%).

This is what you could call Extreme Off-Grid Power on a budget:

off-grid in Northern Wisconsin for 14 years

Comment

Working...