Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite appliances for conserving energy on solar appliances

hi!

I recently heard about a fridge/freezer at Sears that only uses 30 watts and also that pressure cookers are great for cooking to conserve energy.

here is the fridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrHN6iTMtvM

Would others please pitch in and share what appliances besides LED lights and ceiling fans that makes a big difference in their home with little usage.

Most especially I am eager to hear about any electrical heat that you run off your solar in the winter.

Thanks!

Ralph

The post on you tube is more or less BS. All new, energy efficient fridges use in that range - look at the energy star web site for details. http://www.energystar.gov/productfin...rators/results

As far as using a 100 watt panel as a power source for a battery bank for this fridge is laughable. The clown posting this tripe is the reason I rarely bother to go to you tube - he has no idea but loves to try to look like he knows what is going on.

I didn't bother to go to his battery video - it would have been more of the same.

For heating - the only option available a heat pump if you live in a mild climate area - if you live in the frozen north that won't do.

Electric resistance heating has a COP of 1 - meaning 1 kW of electricity in you get 1 kW of hat out.

An air source heat pump (ASHP) can improve that to maybe 1 kW of electricity in = 3 kW of heat out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by RalphWh View Post
      hi!

I recently heard about a fridge/freezer at Sears that only uses 30 watts and also that pressure cookers are great for cooking to conserve energy.

here is the fridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrHN6iTMtvM

Would others please pitch in and share what appliances besides LED lights and ceiling fans that makes a big difference in their home with little usage.

Most especially I am eager to hear about any electrical heat that you run off your solar in the winter.

Thanks!

Ralph
      One appliance that works well with solar is your water heater. It uses "thermal" heating not "electric" to heat the water and works even in the winter time as long as there isn't any snow on the panel.

As russ stated using solar pv electric is not practical to "heat" or even cool your home.

Comment

Ralph do not believe a word of what you seen or heard. The most efficient fridges with lowest wattage is Sundanzer made specifically for off-grid battery systems. The fridge is a bar/dorm room/RV size of 4.1 cubic feet large enough for a couple of 6-packs and bologna. It uses 110 watts when running.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
          For heating - the only option available a heat pump if you live in a mild climate area - if you live in the frozen north that won't do.
          That's true of air-source heat pumps, but there's a lot of geothermal heat pumps up here.

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          The most efficient fridges with lowest wattage is Sundanzer <snip> It uses 110 watts when running.
          My 8 cu ft sundanzer chest freezer uses 55 - 80 watts when running (variable speed compressor).

--mapmaker
          ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

Originally posted by mapmaker View Post
            That's true of air-source heat pumps, but there's a lot of geothermal heat pumps up here.
            True and they have a better COP than an ASHP - more costly installation but good at many locations.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I live in the frozen north and an air source heat pump equipped with a variable speed compressor (AKA Mitsubishi hyper heat) does work pretty well. Great for sunny days down to about 20 degree F. If its clear with low relative humidity it works pretty well down to zero. Obviously its not my primary heat but in conjunction with net metering, I use it to burn up the surplus generation.
              Many of the state energy efficiency programs are willing to offer a pretty good rebate for them.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
                Many of the state energy efficiency programs are willing to offer a pretty good rebate for them.
                In Vermont the energy star rebates on washers, fridges, heat pumps, etc are partially funded by the utility companies and are therefore not available to off-grid folks

--mapmaker
                ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

I agree that off grid folks miss out on these deals. Most of them are funded by ReGGI funds that are essentially taxes on power generation.

Comment

At least some of you live in a state the agrees with funding energy efficiency for appliances and conservation by using lower wattage lighting fixtures.

Here in Florida the big three Utilities are trying to convince the PUC to let them slash their energy efficiency budgets by 90% and continue to block home solar pv systems.

The Utilities are trying to convince the legislatures to allow them to increase their rates so they can build more generating systems because according to them "more generating reduces the cost but energy conservation and home solar does not reduce costs".

This is total BS where the Utilities in Florida are trying to keep the monopoly of power generation in their control and away from the customer.

Color me frustrated!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X