Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stickbowcrafter
    • Jul 2014

Starting from scratch, new building, need input

Hello everyone. I am just finishing a small building, the first building on a farm I purchased last year. I will be ready for a solar system soon. I understand the importance of a detailed plan and I need some direction on how to get started. I have no power at the farm beyond the gas generator. How can I test my watt/amp usage for the devices/lights I plan to power? At home plugged into the grid with the appropriate meters? I'd also appreciate any other tips for doing a diagram/layout and any other pertinent info.

My farm is in NE Ohio in southern Ashtabula County, 44003. The panels will be roof mounted on a building in an open farm field. I am proficient in building and residential electric so I feel this is something I can do on my own. Thank you.

-Brian
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Hello and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Yes, if you can run equivalent appliances, lights, etc. at home to measure power, so much the better.

As for the off grid setup, the wiring should be comparable to what you would use for 120/240 system that is grid powered. And you should have from the start a good generator which will help you with battery maintenance, large loads and stretches of poor weather.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

The simple Kill-a-watt brand meter is a good way to measure appliances (fridge, lights, Hi-Fi, TV, computer) or you can look at your current electric bill to see what your entire current house consumes.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...