No announcement yet.

Can any electricians or someone familiar with solar installs help me real quick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any electricians or someone familiar with solar installs help me real quick

I just bought a house that has about 16 solar panels installed which aren't currently working. Not sure how old they are but probably early 2000's, it has a Sunny Boy 2500U Inverter that has no power, as in none of the LEDS are lit.

This is my first experience with solar but from what I can gather there should be an AC and a DC disconnect. There is an AC disconnect but this system appears to be installed without a DC disconnect.

I measured the DC going into the inverter and got 0 volts. There is voltage on the AC side with the disconnect turned on.

I followed the wires from the inverter to the roof where there is a junction box. Here is a picture and the readings I got: http://i.imgur.com/k0o5QjL.jpg

In case it isn't clear from the picture there is a butt connector with 1 red wire heading towards inverter and one red wire heading towards PV array (CON 1), another connector with 1 black towards inverter, 1 black towards array (CON 2), and the last connector has 1 black wire, 1 red wire -- both heading back towards the array side (CON 3). The two that show voltage are CON 1 and CON 3, which doesn't make sense to me.

Does anyone know how this is wired and what may be wrong that is preventing voltage output to the inverter?

Thanks!

Originally posted by devlspawn View Post
    I just bought a house that has about 16 solar panels installed which aren't currently working. Not sure how old they are but probably early 2000's, it has a Sunny Boy 2500U Inverter that has no power, as in none of the LEDS are lit.
    This is my first experience with solar but from what I can gather there should be an AC and a DC disconnect. There is an AC disconnect but this system appears to be installed without a DC disconnect.
    I measured the DC going into the inverter and got 0 volts. There is voltage on the AC side with the disconnect turned on.
    I followed the wires from the inverter to the roof where there is a junction box. Here is a picture and the readings I got: http://i.imgur.com/k0o5QjL.jpg
    In case it isn't clear from the picture there is a butt connector with 1 red wire heading towards inverter and one red wire heading towards PV array (CON 1), another connector with 1 black towards inverter, 1 black towards array (CON 2), and the last connector has 1 black wire, 1 red wire -- both heading back towards the array side (CON 3). The two that show voltage are CON 1 and CON 3, which doesn't make sense to me.
    It looks lacking a DC disconnect, someone had a problem, and just went up and unwired
    it. Do check, some inverters have a built in DC disconnect. It wouldn't be too hard to n
    check the voltage & current capability of the panels on a sunny day. Bruce Roe

Comment

Agree it looks like that is where a DISCONNECT installed and removed.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
      X