Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cult of Dionysus
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
    I think that you mean 15-20kWh, which is a measure of energy storage, rather than 15-20kW which is a measure of instantaneous power.
    For a 48V system, 20kWh would be about 420AH capacity, while 20kW would be a current of 420A.
    It is not too hard to build up a system with 420AH capacity, whatever the voltage. Just use 6V or lower batteries in series instead of 12V batteries in parallel.
    Thanks for the correction. New at this and still confusing things.

Based on some preliminary research, it seems that it might be a good idea to go with 24 LG Mono X 250W panels and 8 Rolls S500 428AH batteries, all in one series, which gets me to 48V and the magical 20kWhs of capacity. Also thinking of having a couple of Honda EU2000s coupled together with an inverter that can auto start the generators, perhaps the Schneider XW6048. That way I get the flexibility of being able to generate low power on one generator for light loads (like charging the battery bank) or a big surge with both to handle a big load.
    • 24 LG Mono X 250W (for 6000kWs)
    • 8 Rolls S500 428AH (for 20,000kwHs)
    • Schneider XW6048 Inverter
    • 2 Honda EU2000s coupled
    • 1 Schneider Electric MPPT 80-600 Charge Controller

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Comment

• Cult of Dionysus
      • Jul 2014

One more question, I need to power a reverse osmosis (RO) filter system which has a 3hp electrical pump. I understand such a motor draws about 3kWh while running, but may require up to 10,000 – 12,000 kW on start up.

Can a single Schneider XW6048 handle such a start up? It has a surge rating of 12,000 kW for 10 seconds… So just at its limit. Or would it be better to add a second XW6048, which I understand can be combined. And if I’m combining inverters, I guess I could go with two Schneider XW4548, which are about $3000 less than the bigger inverters (together).

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Cult of Dionysus
        One more question, I need to power a reverse osmosis (RO) filter system which has a 3hp electrical pump. I understand such a motor draws about 3kWh while running, but may require up to 10,000 – 12,000 kW on start up.

Can a single Schneider XW6048 handle such a start up? It has a surge rating of 12,000 kW for 10 seconds… So just at its limit. Or would it be better to add a second XW6048, which I understand can be combined. And if I’m combining inverters, I guess I could go with two Schneider XW4548, which are about $3000 less than the bigger inverters (together).
        Maybe look into a soft start or variable frequency starter for the pump. Either will reduce the inrush current and may be cheaper than going with a second inverter.

Comment

• Cult of Dionysus
          • Jul 2014

Just learned that it will be a Grundfos CRN1-27 3hp 3phase pump with variable drive frequency requiring up to 30 amps (presumably on startup).

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

Just learned that it will be a Grundfos CRN1-27 3hp 3phase pump with variable drive frequency requiring up to 30 amps (presumably on startup).
            That 30A figure will be for one of the two voltage connections.
            The pump itself can be wired for a 240V delta configuration or a 380V wye configuration. Which will you be using?
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

One more question, I need to power a reverse osmosis (RO) filter system which has a 3hp electrical pump.
              That must be one very large or very high pressure RO system!
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Cult of Dionysus
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by russ
                That must be one very large or very high pressure RO system!
                It's from a Californian company called Enaqua, and costs $25k. Produces 120 gallons per hour at 50% efficiency, so 240 gallons get pushed in per hour (4gpm).

Comment

Working...