Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar powered AC air conditioning, a bummer or a challenge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jimindenver View Post
    As far as mold goes, you probably have some in your air conditioner but that's nothing compared to the average swamp cooler. Along with their limitations they can be nasty after not being run for a while.
    Two significant ways to control mold in a swamp cooler are to let the pads dry thoroughly between uses (not easy if the outside humidity is high, but you would not be using a swamp cooler then anyway) and draining the water sump periodically (some coolers do this automatically every N hours of running.)
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Hello,

I have found that what is written for the specifications, and what the real world performance to be far from matching.

I have purchased a window sized "Compressed gas" air conditioner that cost $280 USD to compare a real life experiment with my $209 USD modified Peltier theory unit.

Although you are using "Watts" on a label to base facts to show I am a fool... I am following the DC amps that come from my battery bank to run the DC (modified rare-earth Peltier modules) air conditioner, and an AC powered "Compressed gas" air conditioner from the inverter, that is to be SO much more efficient...

Keep in mind, that DC amps to AC amps is far from the same !!!!

The room was maintained at 21 degrees C, and between 46-47% humidity.

After 24 hours for each unit individually tested... (windows opened and room equalised to 33C ambient outside temp between each test)

AC air conditioner consumed 148.12 DC amps
      DC air conditioner consumed 149.52 DC amps

The AC unit compressor kicking in has a huge draw, and it goes on and off several times an hour... That adds up over a 24 hour period.

The DC unit just works at a steady and constant pace....

New question... What can I do with that nearly 2 whole DC amps I save by spending more money on the AC powered "Compressed gas" air conditioner ???

My purpose for all of this is to show that technology is continually improving, and we can take an old technology, improve it, and use it to our advantage.

Keep an open mind, and do some real experimenting yourself, rather then believing what labels have written on them... You may be surprised from the results !

The TEC modules I had made for this have possibilities... They can still be improved upon.

The only person I need to convince is myself, but I just wanted to share with you, that alternative methods of Air Conditioning exist.

Thanks,

Alan... the happy fool

Comment

• Originally posted by Hkalan View Post
        Hello,

I have found that what is written for the specifications, and what the real world performance to be far from matching.

I have purchased a window sized "Compressed gas" air conditioner that cost $280 USD to compare a real life experiment with my $209 USD modified Peltier theory unit.

Although you are using "Watts" on a label to base facts to show I am a fool... I am following the DC amps that come from my battery bank to run the DC (modified rare-earth Peltier modules) air conditioner, and an AC powered "Compressed gas" air conditioner from the inverter, that is to be SO much more efficient...

Keep in mind, that DC amps to AC amps is far from the same !!!!

The room was maintained at 21 degrees C, and between 46-47% humidity.

After 24 hours for each unit individually tested... (windows opened and room equalised to 33C ambient outside temp between each test)

The AC unit compressor kicking in has a huge draw, and it goes on and off several times an hour... That adds up over a 24 hour period.

New question... What can I do with that nearly 2 whole DC amps I save by spending more money on the AC powered "Compressed gas" air conditioner ???

My purpose for all of this is to show that technology is continually improving, and we can take an old technology, improve it, and use it to our advantage.

Keep an open mind, and do some real experimenting yourself, rather then believing what labels have written on them... You may be surprised from the results !

The TEC modules I had made for this have possibilities... They can still be improved upon.

The only person I need to convince is myself, but I just wanted to share with you, that alternative methods of Air Conditioning exist.

Thanks,

Alan... the happy fool
        I am interested in new research and hope you find something that is better than previous technology.

Be careful when you compare an AC and DC air conditioner efficiency. While you want to use a DC amps measurement you are not providing the energy data. You need to compare energy used (watts) to energy created (BTU/hr) to determine efficiency of a cooling or heating unit.

You also didn't provide a BTU rating of either unit so unless they were the same "size" a comparison of energy used may be incorrect.

Comment

The AC unit compressor kicking in has a huge draw, and it goes on and off several times an hour...
          Watts is watt silly, and you want to know watt hours. The air conditioner draws 1777 watts from the battery. As you say th eair conditioner cycles on and off because it cools the room down quickly because it has 4 times the BTU cooling. The Air Conditioner runs on a duty cycle most likely around 25 to 40%. So in a 24 hours day only uses 1777 watts x 24 hours x .33 (duty cycle) = 14.07 Kwh in a day

Your DC air conditioner uses 1794 watts slightly higher than the airconditioner but runs continious and does not cycle because it is only has 1/4 the cooling BTU capacity. So 1794 watts x 24 hours = 43.-5 Kwh in a day almost 3 times the energy.

This is the part you do not get. Your Peltier cooling is extremely inefficient and cannot even come close to competing with even a inexpensive air conditioner. Your numbers prove it. You have chosen the most inefficient means to cool a room. Quit fooling yourself because you are not fooling us.

What you are missing is BTU cooling to Watt cooling capacity called EER. Most Window Shakers have an EER of 10. So a 6000 BTU window shaker with a EER of 10 will consume 6000 BTU's / 10 EER = 600 watts. A Peltier cooling has an EER around 2 or 3 which means for 6000 BTU of cooling will require 6000 BTU's / 3 EER = 2000 watts over 3 times as much power a gas compressor would consume..

EER = BTU's / Watts
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Hello,

That sure looks good on paper...

I do not want to debate about the eBay TEC modules you compare to...

No one has even attempted to enquire about the TEC modules I had made for this. Your focus is on the simple fix and elsewhere.

Keep those CFC's flowing gentlemen !!!!! I going sailing today... while we still have an Ozone Layer !

Have a great weekend !

Alan

Comment

Hello,

That sure looks good on paper...

I do not want to debate about the eBay TEC modules you compare to...

No one has even attempted to enquire about the TEC modules I had made for this. Your focus is on the simple fix and elsewhere.

Keep those CFC's flowing gentlemen !!!!! I going sailing today... while we still have an Ozone Layer !

Have a great weekend !

Alan
              What is the EER of these Peltier units you have, and back it up with a link. It is very simple to understand just like mpg with a car. Which car goes further with a gallon of gas? One with 40 mpg or the one that gets 10 mpg.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Hello,

Alan... the happy fool
                Can you tell me how do you get the total DC amperes in 24 hours? Do you use a special meter that record the DC amperes usage like the Kill-a-watt meter or the Utility AC watt hours meter? I love to get one of those DC meter so I can record my batteries uasage without guessing.
                Thank you.

Comment

• PT,

I am new to the forum, but recently read a post (closed thread) by Sunking that leads you through the calculations required to design a off grid system.
                  Found it here>> http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...ghlight=design

Sunking does a good job describing calculations plus end costs per KWh.

I would also offer my personal experience of 12 years of living with off-grid power. I can assure you that my per KWh costs have been well above what the local utility charges (approx $.10/KWh). I live where I do by choice, but would connect to the grid with no reservations if it was available.
                  Spending your $$$ on a grid tied system would be a better option to offset your cooling costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
                    Can you tell me how do you get the total DC amperes in 24 hours? Do you use a special meter that record the DC amperes usage like the Kill-a-watt meter or the Utility AC watt hours meter? I love to get one of those DC meter so I can record my batteries uasage without guessing.
                    Thank you.
                    I use a Victron Energy battery monitor (Blue Power Panel), and each bank has a VE.Net Battery Controller that connects to the Blue Power Panel via CAT5 Network cables (daisy chain). It also has a VE.Bus to give me the full information of my Victron MultiPlus inverter/charger activities. I am able to monitor the energy consumed, in addition to many other features of each battery bank and inverter/charger. Living on the boat completely off grid for 15 years, I am a big fan for Victron and Morningstar equipment for reliability and monitoring.

VE.Net BPP System.jpg

http://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/ve.net/

Alan

Comment

• It's interesting to try. Is this work for all window air conditioner models?
                      http://www.thegoodgears.com/Window-Air-Conditioner/
                      Last edited by MarionReynolds; 08-21-2018, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• Clean the drain on the inside coil,and or disassemble the unit and clean all dirt from the inside of the unit.

Comment

• Solar powered AC air conditioning, a bummer or a challenge?

The problem with solar powered ........ system is the relative (lack) of cost of natgas. We have a large 75 gal natgas tank (no we don't use nearly that much, but code mandates that size for the number of bathrooms in the house... sigh...), and even that monster only generates $20-25 a month of utility cost. Almost all of your savings from running solar water heating would need to come from cooling reduction to make it viable, and I just don't see it working all that well for that. Ambients in Texas summers can average high 90's, and we already build houses with 14' ceilings to take advantage of interior thermals, so I'd be dubious that heating water through roof tile absorption would offset cooling cost enough for a decent ROI.

The direct link to another website was removed. Please do not attach links without the Forum owners permission.
                          Last edited by SunEagle; 07-26-2015, 10:43 AM. Reason: removed link for advertisement

Comment

• solar powered ac

I did not say that the Air conditioner was powered by 12vdc. It runs on Alternating current. But a solar panel only makes DC voltage.

Comment

• I'm sure non-renewable energy costs will skyrocket long before that.

I'm sure non-renewable energy costs will skyrocket long before that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zarajohn View Post
                                I did not say that the Air conditioner was powered by 12vdc. It runs on Alternating current. But a solar panel only makes DC voltage.
                                Technically the compressor motor in an inverter-type mini-split A/C runs off DC pulses provided by a controller frequency inverter that in turn runs off DC rectified from the input AC. With proper design of the control circuitry it would be possible to build an A/C that could accept either AC or DC as an input, much the same way that the Grundfos SQFLex pumps run off a range of inputs to the controller.
                                But I do not know of such a commercial unit at this time.
                                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
                                X