No announcement yet.

Battery charging formula for new generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to have a genny for cloudy days and preventative maintenance.

If you are using your inverters built-in charger, then the genny size is determined by the built-in ac charger.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Troutcreekman View Post
      so if I bought a eu6500 it is rated at 45.8 amps it would be charging through my inverter currently a trace 4000 watt, soon to be a sunny boy.
      I think you are confusing AC amps with DC amps. Try to think in terms of watts.

For example: The eu3000 can make 23.3 amps @ 120 volts.... 23.3 amps X 120 volts = 2796 watts

How many amps is that at 24 volts? 2796 watts ÷ 24 volts = 116.5 amps.

You can do the same calculation for the eu6500, but note that at 120 volts you can't get more than 30 amps out of single receptacle. The only way to get full power out of a single receptacle on the eu6500 is to use the 240 volt receptacle.

Originally posted by Troutcreekman View Post
      The eu 3000 is rated at 23.3 amps sounds like it is to small by the numbers. Like to run shop tools ( woodworking 120v) for extended periods during the day how does that effect charging on cloudy days? Sorry lots of random stuff here.
      read my description of how I charge with my outback. If I run tools while charging, there is less current available for charging. It's all automatic... when I pull the trigger on my circular saw, the battery charging current is reduced. When I let go of the trigger, full charging resumes. If I used a large enough generator, there would be no reduction in charging when I used the saw.

How that affects you depends on the size of your generator, your inverter/charger, and you power tool loads.

--mapmaker
      ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

Depends on your charger - the inverter generators do not handle surges or poor power factor loads very well..

Is your inverter capable of also charging the batteries ?
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

AC battery charger on solar circuit?

I have a question regarding battery charging, solar cells, mppt CC. IF your solar panels can't charge your batteries due to weather, can you have an AC battery charger hooked up to your battery bank directly and charge the batteries without the need to disconnect the batteries from the solar circuit? There is no chance of damaging your CC from running the AC battery charger hooked up to any AC source? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by spockmckoy View Post
            I have a question regarding battery charging, solar cells, mppt CC. IF your solar panels can't charge your batteries due to weather, can you have an AC battery charger hooked up to your battery bank directly and charge the batteries without the need to disconnect the batteries from the solar circuit? There is no chance of damaging your CC from running the AC battery charger hooked up to any AC source? Thanks.
            Essentially zero chance of damaging a well designed CC by attaching a separate AC charger to the batteries.
            Since the AC charger and the CC do not communicate, then depending on their individual output amp limits there may be a risk of sending too much current through the batteries if both chargers are in Bulk and operating at the same time.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

thanks inetdog

Comment

That's good to know, I was questioning the ac charger application also.
                snow happens

Comment

Working...
                X