Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decrease in Amps after Series Connection

Hey guys,

I just bought tiny solar cells as a test project to build a small solar panel. Each cell is 0.56V and 0.28A.
    I've connected 6 of the cells in series and the reading is around 3.30 V, but the amps show 0.04A. Every other individual cell is 0.28A.

What could be wrong for such results?

Thanks

Originally posted by highlander View Post
    Hey guys,

I just bought tiny solar cells as a test project to build a small solar panel. Each cell is 0.56V and 0.28A.
    I've connected 6 of the cells in series and the reading is around 3.30 V, but the amps show 0.04A. Every other individual cell is 0.28A.

What could be wrong for such results?

Thanks
    Problems with the interconnect wiring? Maybe one of the cells is being shaded by another in the arrangement you have wired them into?
    Measure the voltage on each cell when you have the series string shorted to get .04A.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

It's a good idea to build a test rig before you tab the cells, to make sure they're all the same output.
      A perspex sheet with guides glued down for the cell and electrical contacts is good enough, provided it doesn't move from the light source (a 100W bulb).

After you tab the cells, check them again before you build the strings.
      Dem

Comment

One of two possibilities.

1. You either have one or more bad cells.
        2. You do not know how to measure current.

Either way it is operator error. Either you failed to test each cell before assembly, incorrect assemble, or you do not know how to test.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Thank you for your replies guys.

Everything is fine, bad testing was all. I built a test block with an aluminum foil and rested the first cell of the series on it. I made sure that none of the cells were shaded by each other. Both the voltage and amperage readings are fine now.
          Thank you again.

Comment

Working...
          X