Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enersys Cyclon Feedback

enrsys cyclon.jpg

Anybody got experience with these? I recall seeing conversation about them here recently.

I have a project where I'd like to stack (6) of the 2volt 25ah BC cells into a tube... creating a 12volt 25ah.

Would cost me about $300 for 12v 25AH, but I hear they have a 15 year life expectancy? ... would that be so with a 20% DOD?

Could they be charged via PV charge controller as any other SLA/AGM?
    and anybody know what the Peukert "number" is for these?

Thank in advance for any feedback...
    [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

YES!

Outstanding choice for your application.

To make sure you have the latest application manual from Enersys/Hawker, check this out:
    http://www.enersys.com/Cyclon_Batteries.aspx

The emphasis here is that you do not want to baby these batteries. If you are going to err, it is best to err on the side of overcharge than undercharge.

Quickly - each cell NEEDS to see 2.45v per cell (temp-compensated of course) *at the battery terminals* under the usual CV charging regime, at least for a little while, no matter how much current you throw at them - which is practically unlimited under CV charging. This means you should take into account any voltage drop from your link between the charge controller and the batteries. (14.7v for a nominal 12v application)

Inside a tube, you may want to incorparate remote temperature compensation, rather than ambient....

Just because you can quick-charge these batteries does not mean you are REALLY done unless you have some hours of float behind it. Yes, that's hard to do with solar, so BE SURE to set both your float voltage to the same value as your absorb voltage (2.45 per cell) to help compensate with an extended absorb. It will be your decision how far you should do an extended absorb if you always finish a "normal" absorb early on in your solar-insolation period. Here we are talking about daily cycling. If nothing else, make SURE you actually finish a normal absorb. The application manual actually defines what is and is not a standby vs cyclic application.

If your application falls into the standby category as defined by Enersys, then you may be able to just float them at a *minimum* of 2.25v per cell, not to exceed 2.3v - again as measured at the battery terminals. 2.2v doesn't cut it. At least not if you want to stay within warrantee.

You can hit these things hard, but it does NOT mean that the references you may see to needing 0.4C minimum current apply. Many confuse this with some sort of initial chemical need, but it is truly from a TIME standpoint to ensure that you get to the all important float quick enough during a fast-turnaround situation like it used to be when EV's were driven with larger pure-lead Odyssey batteries. The 0.4C reference was from the hurry-up-and-wait mindset, rather than have you continually undercharge them by merely stopping charge when float was reached.

This is a great feature really - if the budget and space allows, don't dink around with charging. The objective is to get through a normal absorb each and every time. Extended absorb is a great trick if you can't get at least a few hours of float in.

Hint - if you look at the application manuals for Odyssey, even as far back as some 1998 versions, you'll see nearly the same material in the application manual for the Odyssey as you see for the Cyclon today. Way back then, these two were competitors, although separated between large and small capacity clients.

Practical notes - be sure you obtain these from a reputable dealer, preferably the same age or close to it. What you don't want is some sloppy shipping guy grabbing a randomly aged selection from a bin somewhere, especially because you are dealing with individual cells, and not the monoblocs.

First charge - even though you are eventually ending up with solar, be sure to charge these as noted above, and to help balance them, give them a LONG float at first - were talking 24 hours or more before placing them into normal service. You won't get full capacity until you've cycled them at least 5 times. But man, do NOT skip that long initial float.

Caution: These are basically the same pure-lead "tppl" batteries as an Odyssey. If you like, you can cross reference what you read in the Cyclon manual with the Odyssey manual:

http://www.enersys-emea.com/reserve/...oad.asp?lang=e

You have been warned as the little Cyclon may serve as a gateway-battery to the world of pure-lead! Which of course leads to the harder stuff, like LiFePo4.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockah View Post
      Would cost me about $300 for 12v 25AH, but I hear they have a 15 year life expectancy? ... would that be so with a 20% DOD?
      No there is no way you will get 15 or even 10 years out of them. They are guaranteed 10 years for FLOAT Service. Cycle service about 200 on the low side, 1000 cycles on the high side if shallow cycled. These batteries are made for very high current applications for emergency equipment. You should get 3 to 5 years depending on how deep you discharge them and how often.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by PNjunction View Post
        YES!

Outstanding choice for your application.

To make sure you have the latest application manual from Enersys/Hawker, check this out:
        http://www.enersys.com/Cyclon_Batteries.aspx

The emphasis here is that you do not want to baby these batteries. If you are going to err, it is best to err on the side of overcharge than undercharge.

Quickly - each cell NEEDS to see 2.45v per cell (temp-compensated of course) *at the battery terminals* under the usual CV charging regime, at least for a little while, no matter how much current you throw at them - which is practically unlimited under CV charging. This means you should take into account any voltage drop from your link between the charge controller and the batteries. (14.7v for a nominal 12v application)

Inside a tube, you may want to incorparate remote temperature compensation, rather than ambient....

Just because you can quick-charge these batteries does not mean you are REALLY done unless you have some hours of float behind it. Yes, that's hard to do with solar, so BE SURE to set both your float voltage to the same value as your absorb voltage (2.45 per cell) to help compensate with an extended absorb. It will be your decision how far you should do an extended absorb if you always finish a "normal" absorb early on in your solar-insolation period. Here we are talking about daily cycling. If nothing else, make SURE you actually finish a normal absorb. The application manual actually defines what is and is not a standby vs cyclic application.

If your application falls into the standby category as defined by Enersys, then you may be able to just float them at a *minimum* of 2.25v per cell, not to exceed 2.3v - again as measured at the battery terminals. 2.2v doesn't cut it. At least not if you want to stay within warrantee.

You can hit these things hard, but it does NOT mean that the references you may see to needing 0.4C minimum current apply. Many confuse this with some sort of initial chemical need, but it is truly from a TIME standpoint to ensure that you get to the all important float quick enough during a fast-turnaround situation like it used to be when EV's were driven with larger pure-lead Odyssey batteries. The 0.4C reference was from the hurry-up-and-wait mindset, rather than have you continually undercharge them by merely stopping charge when float was reached.

This is a great feature really - if the budget and space allows, don't dink around with charging. The objective is to get through a normal absorb each and every time. Extended absorb is a great trick if you can't get at least a few hours of float in.

Hint - if you look at the application manuals for Odyssey, even as far back as some 1998 versions, you'll see nearly the same material in the application manual for the Odyssey as you see for the Cyclon today. Way back then, these two were competitors, although separated between large and small capacity clients.

Practical notes - be sure you obtain these from a reputable dealer, preferably the same age or close to it. What you don't want is some sloppy shipping guy grabbing a randomly aged selection from a bin somewhere, especially because you are dealing with individual cells, and not the monoblocs.

First charge - even though you are eventually ending up with solar, be sure to charge these as noted above, and to help balance them, give them a LONG float at first - were talking 24 hours or more before placing them into normal service. You won't get full capacity until you've cycled them at least 5 times. But man, do NOT skip that long initial float.

Caution: These are basically the same pure-lead "tppl" batteries as an Odyssey. If you like, you can cross reference what you read in the Cyclon manual with the Odyssey manual:

http://www.enersys-emea.com/reserve/...oad.asp?lang=e

You have been warned as the little Cyclon may serve as a gateway-battery to the world of pure-lead! Which of course leads to the harder stuff, like LiFePo4.
        Wow,,, thanks for the informative and encouraging post.

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        No there is no way you will get 15 or even 10 years out of them. They are guaranteed 10 years for FLOAT Service. Cycle service about 200 on the low side, 1000 cycles on the high side if shallow cycled. These batteries are made for very high current applications for emergency equipment. You should get 3 to 5 years depending on how deep you discharge them and how often.
        Thanks.
        What's your guesstimate for battery life with the usage detailed below?

Per 6x Cyclon Bank (12v 25ah 300wh):
        66wh (22%) per day discharge.
        Minimum 3.5 sun hour (winter) ... occasional cloudy day.
        50watt panel.
        5amp PWM CC
        14.6v rapid charge (although I've measured 14.9v at the terminals on other installations).
        13.6v float

Comment

50watt panel.
          I'll napkin calc it for a conventional agm. The pure-lead types have even lower internal resistance, so times may be cut even a bit shorter. I think you'll make it based upon a 25% discharge...

25ah rated * .25 = 6.25ah drawn daily

Conventional agm quick-calc is 6.25 / 2.77a solar * 1.78 absorb compensation to reach float = 4.01 hours. But the cyclons want to do more than just reach float. Let's compensate by making the float voltage equal to the absorb to get just a little bit of compensation in before sunset in the winter. In the summer, maybe instead of making absorb and float equal, drop the float to a high value, perhaps 14.4v.

If you see a rise to 14.9 volts on a controller set for 14.6, then you might be seeing edge-of-cloud effects.

If it were me, I'd go with something like the Schneider/Xantrex C12, with remote temperature sensor. This unit allows you to dial in exactly what you want, rather than use pre-programmed dip switches. It is very important to actually reach 14.7v, not 14.6. There is only a 1 hour limit on absorb, so if that is not enough even the more reason to set float the same as absorb, or perhaps a little less in super-hot environments. Disable the EQ function.

If you are not dealing with the monoblocs, and have the luxury of using individual cells, and if you can physically do so, don't just parallel series strings together. Far better for balance is to group the cells to get the capacity you need, and then series string these groups together to get the voltage.

If it were me, I'd splurge and make it at least a 60 watt panel. It may not seem like much, but the mantra with pure-lead is to finish a normal absorb at the very least, and get as much float as you can, or compensate with extended absorb.

Those are my thoughts anyway. Real world may be different.

Comment

What's your guesstimate for battery life with the usage detailed below?

50watt panel.
            5amp PWM CC
            14.6v rapid charge (although I've measured 14.9v at the terminals on other installations).
            13.6v float
            What kind of environment? You are in Hawaii right? Telemetry?

What is throwing me off is these batteries are very good, but application specific. They are made for emergency stand-by power. Examples are; exit row lighting in aircraft, emergency back-up for medical equipment, egress lighting in buildings. They are fantastic batteries for Float Operation because they will last for a good ten years. They can be cycled, but they are custom made for high current emergency power using Float charging. Cycle service is going to be between 200 to 1000 cycles.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Sincere thanks, PNJ & Sunking...

Mainly, I am intrigued by the 2.5" cylindrical shape of these batteries...
              any benefits of superior manufacturing is a bonus.

In ways of aesthetics and theft deterrence, the Cyclons could revolutionize one of my designs.
              Unfortunately, I'd be using them on a daily/cyclic application, not stand by power.

Bottom line is these are too expensive to be gambling with the chance of only 200 cycles... I need at least 730

On to the next brainstorm

Comment

If it were me, I'd go with something like the Schneider/Xantrex C12, with remote temperature sensor. This unit allows you to dial in exactly what you want, rather than use pre-programmed dip switches....
                Thanks for introducing me to the C12... I like it.

I've got some reading to do now...
                http://www2.schneider-electric.com/r...n_US/c12_m.pdf

Comment

They are application specific into any place that a pure-lead would be an advantage. Only shape, packaging, capacity, terminal connections and whatnot differ for the most part.

In essence, they are small single-cell versions of Enersys Odyssey for consumers. Or the Enersys Genesis repackaged and marketed for commercial users - ups etc. Higher up the line is the SBS series for motive power and whatnot.

Search for the pdf on "Charging Pure Lead Tin Batteries: a guide for Cyclon and Genesis products" circa 1999. It belongs in every pure-lead lover's bookshelf. If you want to see the deepest details of the IUI algorithm, which later versions of the application manuals started to leave out entirely.

The basics are the same - an agm with many thin plates of pure lead with some tin additive to help prevent corrosion. Because there are so many plates, they can be deep cycled without needing large plates. Since there is only a fraction of tin, the pure lead and very tight compression means very low internal resistance.

Yeah, about 4 years or so of cycle life down to 50% DOD. Maybe 2000 cycles if you only shallow cycle down to 25% DOD. Back then, 80% DOD for EV was the prime target - but only 500 cycles if properly cared for. Moral - don't go to 80% DOD regularly.

Ok, I'm set - I feel you typing already.

Comment

Bottom line is these are too expensive to be gambling with the chance of only 200 cycles... I need at least 730
                    Check out the application guide. By only cycling to 25% or even less in your situation, you should be able to achieve 2000 cycles, or maybe 5 years or so.

Comment

Check out the application guide. By only cycling to 25% or even less in your situation, you should be able to achieve 2000 cycles, or maybe 5 years or so.
                      Ok, now you got my ear...

I can't find this application guide you are referring to.

So, @ 22% DOD, and tweaking the Shneider C12, I'd get more than 3 years? That rekindles my interest...

Comment

It seems to be available in this guys home page: ( I don't like linking to pdf's)

http://aaron.birenboim.com/EV/

Also see the EVhandbook4hawkerBatteries application guide there.

Very good archeological material when pure-lead was vying against nimh for EV use back in the 98 timeframe. THIS is where the common misunderstanding that Odyssey's need to see 0.4C minimum current to charge came from, but it had to do with TIME so that users wouldn't undercharge their EV's.

But even knowing that, tppl batteries don't like to be tickled to death. Don't be afraid to hammer them, as long as you don't exceed the voltage limitation.

The whole point is that these things fit the application YOU want them to, they are just marketed to different consumer / business segments with different needs and purchasing procedures. Need a bigger version of the Cyclon to drive your military hardware - then a Hawker Armasafe Plus 6TAGM might fit. Thing is, you can basically use the cyclon application manual to charge that properly!

You can see why I was at first reluctant to try LiFePo4, with their single-page spec sheets, when I was used to full-blown application manuals.

Comment

Thanks...

Gonna shop for the best price on (6) Cyclons...
                          then move forward with the prototype.

Comment

OK guys there are a couple of things you need to know, because both of you have some facts mixed up.

There are 5 types of lead alloy that makeup all lead acid batteries.

1. Pure Lead. Pure lead is used in standby long term float applications, and only for LOW CURRENT Applications.
                            2. Lead Antimony used for cycling applications and often heavy equipment starting applications.
                            3. Lead Calcium for flooded lead acid standby and VRLA
                            4. Lead Selenium used for cycling and VRLA applications
                            5. Lead-Tin used for VRLA cycling applications where High Current is demanded.

Guess which one the Enersys Cyclon, Optima, and Concorde are? Give you a hint it is not #1 Pure Lead. Give up? Try number 5 Lead-Tin.

What Enersys and other manufactures are doing is pure marketing. The"Pure Lead designation is a marketing term referring to the lead they use with Tin is 99.5 % pure lead. The pure lead battery has the advantage of being very long lived and reasonably resistant to damage by elevated temperatures and over charging. However, it has very low power density and is not able to produce large currents.

Lead-Tin is primarily used in AGM batteries. It has a high energy density meaning it can deliver high currents, and significantly reduces thermal runaway.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

If you see a rise to 14.9 volts on a controller set for 14.6, then you might be seeing edge-of-cloud effects.
                              Bzzt. Sorry but I spoke too soon. What you may be seing here is that some controllers have an "auto-eq", which activates on a monthly cycle more or less, raising the absorb voltage .2 - .4v higher than normal. It is not the 15.5v eq we are accustomed to doing with FLA. Usually, but check the manual. You may have just stumbled across it during that 28-30 day cycle that it does it for one day. Normally we like to disable that unless it agrees with your battery specs.

Comment

Working...
                              X